“Good, Affordable Choice in Uptown Sedona, but some issues”
Review of Star Motel

Star Motel
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 29 August 2014

A rare option in Sedona: affordability, decent hospitality, and all right smack in the center of everything in Uptown.

This was my second stay at the Star Motel. The first time was a couple of years ago and I was on my own. This time I came back with my S.O. and revisited. You can't beat the location of Star Motel — and you can escape all the resort prices and needless hype by staying here.

Mind you, it's basic — but basic clean, comfortable, and with an attentive and service friendly Mom & Daughter ownership and management.

Rooms are concrete block walls — vintage motel style — but that's a good thing. It means they are pretty good at blocking sound from your neighbors. The place has the same style that I've seen in places like Telluride, which cater to small groups of 2-4-5 people. Lots of pegs on the walls to hang things. Double rooms abound. We don't care about t.v. (who comes to Sedona to sit and watch t.v.?), but it's there. WiFi didn't work in our room. That's annoying, but we have back up with a hot spot, something we frequently have to use despite hotels and motels advertising they offer WiFi.

Bathrooms are teeny, tiny, elbow banging affairs. Again, vintage motel. No counter space at the sink, we were piling toiletries on the floor and on the back of the teeny toilet top. Not much can be done about that — it is what it is. Just be prepared. We're traveling light, on a motorcycle, and we found it impossibly cramped in the bathroom.

The one very major thumbs down was the fact the air conditioning wasn't working in our room and it was 95 degrees outside when we checked in on Saturday morning. NOT GOOD, Star.

In fact, they A/C had been turned off completely. We thought it just needed to cool down and we were off for the Pink Jeep tour, thinking the room would be cool when we came back hours later. No so, since the unit was pumping out warm air. Also, the unit was way up high and required a step-stool to access to even turn on. Do the owners not realize this is hazardous? It's a good way for someone to fall and injure themselves. What rocket-scientist goes and turns off the A/C in a room that is booked for check in that day, in a full motel, anyway? It is 95 out! Don't turn the A/C off! In this case, make sure all units are working or get them fixed without delay!

Prices are high for a motel. It IS a concrete motel, but it is also Sedona. But we opened the windows and sweat through the night trying to sleep. Finally, Sunday morning as we were about to check out, the unit seemed to suddenly cough and sputter and decide to spit out some cool air. VERY weird.

The coffee issue: This one was a first. It appeared there was no coffee maker in the room. We went to the office to see if they would have coffee in their lovely living room area in the morning. Then we found out they actually DID have coffee makers for the rooms, but YOU HAVE TO ASK for it!! So, loaded with the tray with coffee maker and coffee, we brought that to the room I find this rather inexcusable — most people won't go and ask, they'll just complain privately or on Trip Advisor, giving the owners no chance to tell them about the hidden coffee makers. What's up with that little control-freak kind of "hospitality"?

So be aware: Ask for the Coffee Maker. Check the A/C and demand a working unit if it's not working. (We didn't, and should have — but the place was full. When we came in for the night, the owners had gone anyway — home to Camp Verde.)
Be also aware that there is no one there in the office from early evening until I don't know when the next morning. They weren't there when we check out around 9AM.

So these are fundamental issues: A/C and Coffee. The owners need to hire additional help if they can't find their way to be there in the evening or mornings. Kind of inexcusable too, in the high tourist season.

So be aware it can be a deal, it has some nice little outside seating to sit and drink coffee if you get it somewhere else, and it has "location, location, location." Guests shouldn't have to pay for that in a lack of basic amenities and temperature comfort.

All in all, good deal, needs improvement, speak up for what you need.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marielle O
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Hi MaryEllen,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the room amenities, on this, your second stay with us.

I have coffee makers with coffee, hot pots with tea, wine glasses, cork screws, extra pillows, blankets, irons and ironing boards, ice, etc....for guests and their differing needs. I don't keep all of these items in the rooms, as it would make for a lot of clutter. We let everyone know, upon check-in, that if you want anything ...just ask! We do strive to please.

The AC/heating units have remotes, so that you can operate the unit from anywhere in the room, even bed! I suspect that you did not see it, next to the TV remote, on the desk in your room.

I was happy to accommodate you when you arrived in the morning. (most motels/hotels would have you wait until 3pm) If you turned your AC way down to a very low temperature when you arrived, and left for hours, the unit may have iced up. The rooms require very little time to cool. We turn the air conditioning units off in the morning, when the room is not occupied, and turn them on prior to the usual afternoon check-in, in order to conserve energy.

A Wi-Fi router was located really close to your room -just inches. Perhaps you entered the password incorrectly. In any event, I would have been happy to assist you.

Yes, I do live outside of Sedona, although it really should not matter where I live. My telephone number is posted at the office door, clearly visible, and I can be reached twenty-four hours a day. The other owner lives three blocks from the motel, her number is also posted, and we have a night emergency person that lives steps from the motel. The cost of hiring someone to occupy the office of a ten room motel every night would mean our rates would have to go way up! We pride ourselves in offering a clean, comfortable room in a great location ...for a very reasonable price -even in high season!

Check-out is a snap: just leave the keys in your room. There is a sign posted on the door, inside of the room, with these instructions.

I was pleased that you chose to stay with us a second time, but I am disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with your stay. We truly find pleasure in seeing that our guests are happy and want everyone to leave feeling that they got good value for their money. Maybe we will see you again!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

What a great place to stay when visiting Sedona & the Verde Valley! I had a visiting relative and he stayed at the Star Motel. It is absolutely the best price in town. And it is so centrally located to all our local attractions. I definitely will suggest the Star to any one visiting me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mks6830
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

mks6830,
I was happy to accommodate your relative while he was staying in Sedona. We will be happy your extra "guest room" any time that you have family visiting! It gave you a chance to hang out in Uptown!
See you next time.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Location is great, office people are friendly & helpful but, the "owners" need to spend some money to fix up the rooms. Ceilings have big stains from maybe leaks?? Carpets are stained, curtain rods are coming off the walls, A/C units are loud & sound like their about to fall apart, pillows are terrible. Just sad ...... This would be a great little "Star Motel" if they would spend some money.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gizmo625
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Our family of five (two teenagers and an 11 year old) stayed two nights at the Star Motel while in Sedona. It was perfect for us and the owner, Anne, is terrific. The location is so great- we walked everywhere we went in town. The rooms are simple in a lovely way- so comfortable and clean, with beautiful handmade furniture. We loved our patio- so relaxing after hiking.
Anne was so kind and gave us such great advice about local hikes, restaurants, things not to miss while there, and even places to see on our way to New Mexico. Everything she suggested was wonderful.
We loved everything about our stay at the Star Motel!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Marla I

Marla I,
It was great to have you and your family stay with us. I am glad to have made suggestions that the whole family could enjoy. I hope that you will make another trip to Sedona, as it would be really nice to see you again!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff was awesome! Anne was so helpful and gave directions to everywhere! The room was small but who stays in the room? It was very clean and walking distance to most every thing...great experience for my first time in Arizona!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank KatTampaFl

KatTampaFL,
I am glad to have helped make your first trip to Sedona memorable ...and may there be many more!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Star Motel is the BEST place to stay in Sedona, centrally located, affordable, clean and quiet. Anne is kind, helpful and knowledgeable and will happily provide you with the information you need. I found the location was very convenient for walking to restaurants, shopping and site seeing. I cant say enough about the Star Motel, it was exactly what I was looking for, I am confident you will think so as well.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Intwinedumela

Hi Intwinedumela,
I thank you for writing a review for the motel. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope that when you are back in the area, visiting family, we will see you again.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was tempted to give this motel 3 stars because--quite frankly--everything about it was "average." But, the value and the warm welcome by the people who work there ultimately made it a "very good" experience.

Let's start with the excellent: For $80 a night for a small single room in season was by far the best deal in Sedona. It irked me that these horrible chains wanted to charge me $150 for a 1-2 star room. This was the most reasonable option. You can't make a reservation online, which was frustrating, but they were very helpful in responding to my queries. And, when I let them know that I was might be arriving past closing time (8pm), they could not have been nicer. I arrived in time to see someone at the front desk, and she helped me out with a map and suggestions about attractions, which did not disappoint. Finally, the motel is one of the only ones directly downtown (or what Sedona calls "uptown"). This is less important in a place like Sedona that is so spread out (you'll need a car for most sights and restaurants). That said, being able to walk to Starbucks in the morning to get a cup of coffee and drop off the car at night and walk to get a night cap was very, very convenient.

The less attractive qualities of the motel? The room was clean enough (the carpet was a bit dirty), but it looked--well--like a dated motel room... and the tv didn't work so well: few channels and a remote that didn't work (although with free wifi, that was okay with me). And here is the "deal" with a motel of this sort: if the tv doesn't work at night or such, there is no one to come over and fix it. I think they have an "emergency" number, but a broken tv doesn't seem to qualify as such. The walls--though cinder block--seemed rather thin. I'm not uber crazy about noise (having grown up in Manhattan), but it seemed--from the noise--that the quality of the guests was questionable. The first night the room in back of me seemed to be having a party (no clue how they got so many people in there to drum up that much noise). The second night, I awoke at midnight to some man screaming (very loudly): "don't [expletive] touch me--get away from me." It was alarming. Quite frankly if a woman had been screaming this, or if the man continued to scream, I would have called the cops. It quieted down, so I just checked to make sure my door was locked and went back to bed.

So, if location and budget are key for you, this is your place. If you have a bit more money to spend, you might want to consider some other options.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo