“"No better place to stay in Sedona"”
Review of Star Motel

Star Motel
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Lighthouse Point, Florida
“"No better place to stay in Sedona"”
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Ok, here's the deal. I'm from South Florida and first stumbled on this wonderful place about a decade ago. I was in Phoenix with a few days to kill and asked what to see. Locals were unequivocal - Sedona! So I went. And stumbled on the only place I would ever stay in this stunning city. It's a real motel. I've now been back four times and you should stay nowhere else. It's a family run hotel and feels like you are part of the family. The prices are more than reasonable for town that has chi-chi resorts, etc. The family makes you feel more than at home - you're one of them. Anna, the daughter who runs the place when mom and dad aren't around quickly told me how to get to a secluded spot on the river and I spend the day reading on its banks. The hotel is great, feels normal, and is the most un-standoffish place I think I've ever stayed. You need help, they give it. The rooms are nice, the location is ideal and you can't miss the sign - it's a white star on a three story pole. They've remodeled and added a couple of rooms (number ten is a gem), are flexible and 40% of the price of most local hotels and worth twice the price. I have Ann's number in my cell and call a couple of days before I get there, talk to her and slide on it. The one time I called and they were booked solid, Ann found me a place around the corner that was just as nice. The Star is the friendly family farm in the era of hotel agri-business (if the analogy works) and after the first time I went back to Sedona 4 more times, in part just knowing that they were. And there is and excellent barbeque place across the street you can smell and if you like that fare, you check in and head over for a pulled pork sandwich. AND, it is right there 10 yards from the main drag. I am lucky enough to afford pretty much whatever hotel I want in this pricey but stunningly beautiful location, and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. You just can't do better and feel leaving great and slightly sad because the folks there are easy to miss upon departure.
Accept no substitutes - this it the real deal and you should stay there and really no place else, unless you loathe great friendly people, clean nice rooms, great location and a personal touch second to none.
And I'm not even related to them!
All I can say is I can say no more.
Alex

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SouthFloridaGuy40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
memphis - moving to Flagstaff
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I am a new doctoral student at NAU. I had flown in to Phoenix - to drive up to Flagstaff to apartment search and meet with an advisor. I am a lover of Sedona (Have camped out many times in the area) and had to stay the night there for some rest and relaxation before the "business" part of my trip. When spending time in special places (like Sedona) I prefer to stay away from chain hotels. I like to stay in a more quaint hotel that provides a more "personal" service. I also like to support these types of places. The Star Motel caught my eye immediately. It is in the perfect location for any traveler. I was in walking distance to all of the restaurants and shops I could ask for! Not only that but, (I am at the Star Motel right now as I type on my laptop - there is internet connection!!) as I type, I have my room door open and all I can see are the magnificent red rocks. The views from this motel are breathtaking! The owner of the establishment is such a welcoming and polite woman. She helped me find perfect hiking trails, suggested dinner ideas, and was the kind of kind person with whom I'd like to sit on the patio just "chat".
I feel that my room is very private - yet the motel has a refreshing "bed and breakfast" feel to it based on the outdoor benches and patios that are available to guests.
The Star Motel is going to be my special little place for all of my trips down the hill to Sedona. It is the perfect spot for all types of guests. I recommend this spot to everyone!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank DocDesertGirl
Hawaii
Reviewed 29 April 2009

It's a gem in the rough.... neat, clean and the most excellent location in town! Our 2 bedroom apartment (with kitchenette) was just steps from the main street (like Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki) and even closer to the free town shuttle.

I would stay there again and have already helped a cousin with her reservations for June 2009

Happy Hawaiian
Kaneohe, Hawaii

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Silver Lake, WA
Reviewed 15 April 2009

This quaint little hotel has it all - great people who enjoy giving you tips on local sites and restaurants, cute rooms with a flavor of Old Sedona, and of course the very best price. We have stayed during busy times and slow times too; either way we still get the best service we have received in Sedona. The owner is terrific and loves to give you all the local sites and even had discount coupons for us. Our room was small and not fancy, but very clean with a great bed and a renovated bathroom. The location, right in the middle of the shopping and best red rock views, is walking distance to everything. Just GO. It is great and the kind of value AZ was known for many years ago. You will go back again and again; we have! We're headed back this fall. Sedona is our favorite place in the world.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 2 March 2009

After doing some research, I found this gem in Sedona. My husband was a little doubtful when I planned our one night at this very economical motel but when we pulled up and found this place right in the downtown of red-rock country, he became a believer. The owner Ann was so helpful when we inquired about dining possibilities and even where we should go to find the best sunset gazing spot. Our room was small but very clean and so quiet at night, couldn't believe we were right in town. Every room has a spectacular view of the red rock, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arizona-fans
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 December 2008

You can't miss the Star sign on a high, high pole -- this tells you that the motel was built before Sedona enacted its sign ordinance. Yes, this is an old motel and so the rooms are on the small side, but they are clean and comfortable, and the owners were very pleasant and helpful. The location right in town is great, and yet the motel is surprisingly quiet at night. We considered this a real bargain.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mike757
AZ
Reviewed 27 October 2008

My husband and I love coming to sedona for the day from Phoenix to play in Oak Creek, to hike around a bit and to just enjoy the out doors together. We decided to stay for the weekend and found this cute little motel. It has a great location right by all the shopping. We stayed two nights. We had to switch out of first room we stayed in to another room because they did not have one room for two nights in a row (we booked late). They were very helpful and got our new room ready right away. The price is seeming to rasie just a bit since the last time we stayed but it is still very reasonable, about $90.00 per night now.. it was about $75 before, including all tax. (That is the just about the only reason I did not give a 5 star rating)
If you are looking for a honeymoon suite, this is not the place for you. It is older and very humble but neat and clean. I will be staying here for years to come. Remember it is a MOTEL not a fancy HOTEL but It was worth the money.

happy motel stayer,

Jill

• Liked — location, clean, good price
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)