“Worst EVER” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Star Motel
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Arizona
“Worst EVER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

I have never felt so ripped off in my live. After paying $101 for ONE NIGHT, before checking out the room, we found a very tiny room with 2 beds and a TV. No coffee, not even in what they call a lobby,no breakfast, no shampoo, no ice anyplace, no Internet, no ironing board, no phone service (which wasn't necessary for us), absolutely NOTHING BUT TWO BEDS. They really saw us coming. Sedona is high priced on everything, but this is taking high prices to a whole new level. Next night we stayed in Prescott at the Spring Hill Suites for $3 More, and they have EVERYTHING!! All night long in Prescott I thought about the previous night and what we didn't have for the $3 less. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TwinoneArizona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

Just rolled into town from the Grand Cayon with out a place to stay for the night. I parked my car on Main Street, Sedona, AZ and walked around town to sight see and find a place to stay. I came upon the Star Motel right in town. Walked in and met the extremely nice owner. She had a room. Great price, half of what all others were asking, a little small but I was traveling solo and it was perfect for the night. You could not ask for a better location. Everyting is within walking distance. She gave me some info on the town and sugested a place for a great steak, a very short walk from the motel. She also gave me a map for all the best spots to see the Red Rocks around the area. I would suggest this place to anyone and I will certainly stay there again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mscud1
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband and I travel often and we were so excited to stay at the STAR HOTEL. The rooms are small but it has to be the BEST value for your money in Sedona. We had priced other hotels and this one had the best price and you are right in the middle of uptown Sedona. We loved our stay here and we would recommend this to anyone traveling to Sedona. It does not have the amenities as some other hotels but I think it is the best value for your money. Friendly staff and when we asked if there was a place we could get coffee we were given a room coffee pot for our use.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MerryT26
South San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

Let me just start by saying the lady who runs the Star Motel is very nice so I do hate having to give her hotel a negative review. However, I do feel that this hotel should not be rated so highly simply because staff was nice (and she was incredibly nice) and location was great when in reality the rooms are so lacking.
Checking in we were greeted by the owner of the hotel. She was incredibly warm and welcoming. The hotel looked very cute from the outside, though it was a little dated (that did not bother me in the least). The location of the hotel is excellent. I don’t think you really can do any better and I suppose for the price it is worth it if you are person who has difficulties walking (but I’ve got more to say about that below).
When we received our keys and walked to our room we realized that of the two sets, one was to another visitor’s room. It turned out that she also given a set of our room keys to the people behind us. In short, if they hadn’t been honest people and if we hadn’t been honest people we could have easily been taken advantage of or vice versa. Normally one can chalk this up to human error, but really it was just because we were all just talking too much and neither parties paid attention to what was being handed to them (so I’m blaming myself as well for not checking the numbers on the keys right away).
The view from the room was lovely and there was a nice, though crowded, seating area. I was very excited. The owner was sweet, location was great, a seating area to enjoy – I knew I’d love the rooms too! But to my great disappointment I was extremely disappointed with the room. I hate this part…
The room really just felt unclean. I don’t want to say dirty since everything was dusted and beds were made, but everything was just so dated, drab and …creepy. This is going to be hard to explain, but it looked like one of those rooms out of a horror movie. There was a tiny window in back wall with broken blinds, a crusty mini-fridge and microwave, crooked artwork and 70’s furniture. The bed linens were threadbare and the bathroom, though sort of cute in a vintage way, was grimy. The air-conditioner was a monstrous noisemaker, and the room was stuffy. The worst part – the lock on the door was simply one of those push locks. At night we would tilt the chair under the knob since there was no chain or bolt to ensure extra security. In addition, there is no one available after 6:00 pm, which was very inconvenient when I decided that I would be cutting my stay short and wanted to check out the next day.
To be fair, there was free Wi-Fi, a microwave and a fridge. However, I really feel that I would have been much more comfortable at the Best Western or Hyatt despite their location and price. Which brings me to this additional point regarding walking and the hotel location – there is a free shuttle bus that picks visitors up at various locations, and takes them to the center of town. Really, why sacrifice certain amenities (coffee pot, pool, free breakfast, peace of mind and comfort) for the sake of location? In addition, what are you left to do at 5:00 pm when everything is shut down and you can’t unwind at a pool or Jacuzzi?
Again, I’m really sorry to give such a poor review but I really don’t want people to be misled as I was.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Sarita3422
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel after reading the reviews here. My husband was initially skeptical, considering for the same price we were staying at a Hilton the night before in Phoenix. We were surprisingly happy with our choice!

Location: Very convenient location, just steps from the main touristy street. We walked to dinner every night. Just across the street is a yummy low key bbq place, around the corner is Cowboy Club (we had cactus fries, snake tempura, and buffalo steak). There's a liquor store/mkt just next door, kind of expensive and not well stocked. We did have a hard time finding breakfast places at around 8am! Nothing was open on the street, except a small diner. Hotel has view of Snoopy rock.

Room: Decent and clean. Room was cleaned everyday. Initially there was a stuffy smell in the room, but it aired out quickly. We enjoyed hanging out on the bench outside our room people watching. Even though the motel is close to the main street, Jordan road is actually not too bad, we had no trouble with noise or sleeping at night.

Staff: Very friendly. The first night we got there it was raining. The lady that checked us in offered us her umbrella so we can go out to get dinner.

All in all, very happy with the motel, would definitely come back again. Just another advice, there was traffic near the Y periodically, probably due to the constructions.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplxstar
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

We were staying in Scotsdale and decided to take a trip to Sedona. Once we got there we realized we didn't want to rush back. We asked a local for a decent motel for one or two eves. He sent us to the Star. They had plenty of rooms available. The woman at the front desk could not have been more hospitable. Our room was very clean, parking was free, and the main strip was minutes away. Later she referred us to a local BBQ place..and we were not dissappointed.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

I'd been in this amazing area of the U.S. several times before and yet, until this trip, missed the astounding geological gem that is Sedona. I was fortunate to visit with a friend who knew The Star well. I LOVED this place. The Star has everything I look for in a motel - quiet, faultlessly clean, affordable, and located at the very center of town - a rare combination anywhere, but almost too good to be true in Sedona.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends