I'll try to be objective. I think the decision to stay or not stay at this place really depends on what is more important to you.
I stayed in their best room which was the only room they have upstairs. It was $130/night and had a dining table in the bedroom area and a kitchen.
I'll give the Cons first:
- Beds - super thin covers, mattress & frame felt old
- Dining table - chairs looked dirty. I felt uncomfortable leaning into them because they felt grimmy.
- Bathroom - no heater in bathroom. Water pipes were connected to the room below. If they were taking a shower at the same time we were the water in our shower would turn burning hot or freezing cold while they adjusted their shower water.
- View - obstructed. You can see the red rocks in the background, but I would say the view isn't worth the extra $$ unless you are spending a lot of time in the hotel.
- Safety - the only lock to the room was a lock on the sliding door. The curtain on the sliding door doesn't cover the entire glass area, and without manipulation it is possible to see inside the hotel room even though the curtains are closed. I had to pull the curtains over and use a chair to hold them in place against the wall. There was tape on the curtains from efforts of previous guests to tape the curtains to the wall.
- Furniture - I don't care if the furniture is cheap, but this furniture looked like items taken out of a thrift store. They were not only old, but mismatched and just plain unattractive.
- Staff - very friendly
- Location - right on the main street. However, Sedona is *very* small and no matter where you stay, it's *super* easy to get around.
- Kitchen - the kitchen was great
Overall - I would say that if you are on a budget, stay in a cheap chain hotel/motel unless you could really use a kitchen. I could see maybe a family staying here and saving on food because of the kitchen. Because its so easy to navigate around Sedona (basically there are two main roads and everything is off one or the other) I think location isn't important.
I would not stay here again. Simplicity is *fine* with me, but this hotel room didn't feel too clean, and that's what's not okay with me. I think that with little investment the owners can made upgrades to the room that would drastically change the appearance and improve the experience of guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Star Motel is located in the historic center of Sedona, uptown. Location, location, location! Galleries, restaurants, and shopping. The motel has been family owned for over 35 years. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Queen and king sized beds, walk in showers with seating, free Wi-Fi, parking in front of guest rooms. All rooms have red rock views. All rooms are non-smoking & no pets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Star Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Star Hotel Sedona
- Star Motel Sedona, Arizona