“BEST VALUE in Sedona for a clean, comfortable room!!”
Review of Sugar Loaf Lodge

Sugar Loaf Lodge
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sugar Loaf Lodge for 7 nights in Sedona, and we were very satisfied with our stay. This is one of the cheapest places in town, if not the cheapest, and I was a bit unsure of what we would get for the money (about $500 for the 7 nights with tax!). So I was so happy to discover a very clean room which had all we needed for the week. Our room (#6) was the corner room at the back of the property, close to the pool. It came with a king sized bed and a twin. The room is a bit on the small side, but it was perfect for a couple. It has a mini fridge and microwave which we took full advantage of, reheating leftovers for lunch or a snack. The decor is dated but not to the extent that the room feels like you are in a "dump." There is also a table and two chairs that you can eat at. The sink and mirror is separate from the toilet and shower, which is helpful when two people are getting ready to go out! The young lady that works in the office is very sweet and helpful. She recommended places to eat (Our favorite: Oak Creek brewery) and has an adorable one eyed dog that I fell in love with! I even saw her picking up little bits of trash around the property which I appreciated. The motel is very centrally located, it seemed like we only drove a couple of minutes to get to most places. The air conditioner worked great, it cooled the room off really fast. I really liked the fact that the shower has good water pressure, and the shower head is nice and high. I also liked that the motel's linens had a nice, fresh scent; nothing strong but they smelled good! My boyfriend and I enjoyed the hot tub almost every night, it was very relaxing. Bring a hair dryer if you use one, but the room did have a nice looking iron and ironing board. We did not take advantage of the breakfast items (juice, yogurt, and muffins) because my boyfriend and I wanted to start our busy days with something more substantial. We especially liked New York Bagels just north of the motel, and Wildflower Bread Company. The only issue we had with our room was the toilet was not flushing properly when we arrived, and it was fixed just an hour or so later. Save your money and choose the Sugar Loaf Lodge! Eating out gets very expensive in Sedona, and there are so many things you will want to do, like the Jeep tour. All the money you save staying here can go towards fun things and souvenirs.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marley1Luv

Reviewed 1 May 2009

I booked Sugar Loaf Lodge for one night on the way to the Grand Canyon and was so glad I did! It was an amazing value for Sedona ($60.00 + tax) and close to everything we wanted to do, including exploring the shops, etc in Sedona. Our room was basic, clean, comfortable and quiet despite the location right off the highway. The small fridge was helpful to freeze several bottles of water for our road trip. There's a separate pool/ hot tub/bbq area as well.
The gal at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. In the morning there were muffins, fruit, yogurt, granola bars, juice and coffee available which was nice to have before we took off to explore Cathedral Rock which was located in a state park and Slide Rock State Park- don't miss the latter- it's INCREDIBLE! Park fees were $6-8 per car and well worth it. The views throughout Sedona, even driving down the main road, are just amazing!
There's a Safeway grocery store nearby too with prices same as at home- pleasant surprise in a town like this. It's not snooty at all (as I expcted Sedona to be). There were all kinds of people walking around town and we felt safe and comfortable. I'm looking forward to another visit to Sedona and staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PapaGrammie
Reviewed 10 April 2009

The Sugar Loaf Lodge was just what we were looking for, a clean quiet room for a decent price in Sedona. For 60 bux you get a very clean simple room with a fridge and microwave, and we didn't hear any road noise which can be a problem in Sedona. This isn't a destination type place in any way, no golf and no fancy restaurant or lobby, so if you're looking for that there are other places in town. The staff was helpful and friendly too. Sitting out in the hot tub under the stars was a nice extra. Highly recommended but call ahead as the word is out on this place and they fill up fast.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Akutan
Reviewed 15 March 2009

The staff was friendly and the location was just a little outside of downtown sedona but most people will have a car anyway. We did have problem with our room where the toilet leaked in the middle of the night and our entire room was flooded. The owner moved us to another room. They were friend and helpful in the room. It is a budget rental so I wasn't shocked this happened. It didn't ruin our trip and we still had a great time staying there. The bed in our new room which was in the front of the lodge was pretty bad, the bed in our old room which was in the back of the lodge was just fine. Had A/C also which was needed in AZ. Ultimately, I would go back and stay here. We really only used it as a place to sleep. if you want to use it for anything more this might not be the place.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2009

We read the reviews before booking. Glad we choose the Sugar Loaf Lodge. Simple rooms, nothing fancy but worth every penny. After a long day driving and touring we were welcomed with a very comfortable bed. Best night sleep. Rooms were clean, comfortable, a bit small for 4 adults but we didn't mind. Very quiet, no road sounds or hearing our neighbors. The pool was closed but hot tub was available and we used it to relax after a long day of sight seeing. Owners were friendly, helpful and we appreciated how well they cleaned our room. This is the place to stay if you are touring around the area and just need a comfortable place to sleep. If we are in the area again we will stay here. There is a supermarket just up the street and a starbucks coffee shop inside. Normally I stay at Holiday Inns, Hampton Inns etc... so this will tell you how much I like Sugar Loaf Lodge. G.S

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Overall, not a bad stay. The rooms are very bare bones, but for the location in Sedona it was great.

The lady at the front desk was a little odd - we felt like she was annoyed by our questions about the area, but perhaps she meant well.

Try the pizza place across the street, its great! ALSO - check out the nearby Oak Creek Brewery, about 2 blocks away from the motel, GREAT local beers, and we even found a coupon at the front desk.

Definitely worth the low price for the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Quiet, clean, affordable, great location, nice staff....what more can you ask for an overnight stop? I am on a shoestring budget and this place is very much to my liking! I've stayed at the Hilton with family members for an extended period of time. Nice, but a waste of money if you want to see Sedona upclose! I've stayed here on three seperate occasions and plan on doing it again in 2009....twice if I can afford another trip to Sedona!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple