“Evening Sky Tours what a treat!”
Review of Evening Sky Tours

Evening Sky Tours
Ranked #33 of 94 Tours in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Professional Astronomers host you for an evening of stargazing using giant telescopes and laser pointers. Chairs and blankets are provided. View Saturn, Mars, Jupiter, galaxies and more. Tours start at 8:30 p.m.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sedona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Evening Sky Tours what a treat!”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Volunteers from the Sedona Chamber of Commerce's Visitor Center went on the tour on Wednesday night. They are all raving about it and how great Charlie was at pointing things out and very knowledgeable. Definitiely worth it. Thank you so much they really appreciated it.

Visited April 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Definitely worth it!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We loved this tour! Our accompanying astronomer was Charlie and he was very easy going, knowledgeable, and pleasantly accommodating of a pair of difficult members of the tour who thought Charlie could move the clouds and make the earth stop rotating  However, before you book this tour understand that this is an outdoor tour and it can be chilly and windy (depending on the time of year). The tour company provided chairs and blankets but, you should also dress appropriately. We took gloves, hats, scarves, etc and we were just fine.

The night we went ended up having a half moon and a few too many clouds. The tour company assured us that if there were too many clouds (50% or more) than they would refund our money. Thankfully the clouds dissipated enough to show us a few constellations, planets, the surface of the moon, etc. It was definitely well worth it. And, just by our luck, the next night was completely clear… of course! In hindsight I think we should have waited as late as possible to book our tour so that we could know what the sky was going to be like (if the weather forecast doesn’t help).

3 Thank triple_s_11
Richmond, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful and informative way to spend the evening.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have to admit that I was originally a little put off by the price, but the experience was worth every penny. Our "guide" was Matt, and he was informative and funny. He had both the adults and the kids in the group laughing and interested, which is hard to do. I was a solo adult, and I had a great time. There were also families there with young teen children who seemed to really enjoy themselves.

One piece of advice that I have - believe them if they tell you it will be cold. Matt had enough extra blankets for everyone to use 2, which was great, because the weather had been fairly mild during the day and even though I was warned on the phone, I don't think any of us realized how cold it would be once we sat under the stars for almost two hours. A hat, glove, and coat were very helpful.

If you are already an astronomer yourself, or you have no interest in learning about constellations and what you see in the sky, then this isn't the thing for you. But for anyone who wants a relaxing evening with a fun guide to the night sky, this is it. A+.

2 Thank Andrea C
Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Incredible Experience, Superbly Organized”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was such a great experience! From the moment you arrive at the scene of the sky viewing until you leave - this group has everything set up for an optimal experience! You arrive at a good distance from town, yet only about 20 minutes away, and they have you stay in your car until its time to go to the viewing area (it was cold when I was there so it was great to stay warm a little longer.) They have a list of names to check you in and get you to the right group- very organized. Everything is set up so your eyes are getting more and more adjusted to the dark - the flashlight they use to guide you is covered with a red cone so its very dim, the lighting along the path shines down to the ground, even the light on the port-a-potty is dimmed and red so your eyes can keep getting used to the dark for the best star viewing. You arrive at your grouping of chairs and telescope where blankets are provided. There are even cup holders in the chairs for those that brought warm drinks. Our "guide" Charlie was amazing! So enthusiastic, so knowledgeable...he made sure and showed us a variety of sky phenomena occasionally using the highest power laser pointer I've ever seen to point out things in the sky! We saw the milky way, a nebula, jupiter and moons, twin stars, a satellite, two galaxies that were able to be seen in the telescope eyepiece at the same time - one was edge on, one was face on. Charlie provided binoculars as well so as we waited to take a turn at the telescope we could keep looking at the amazing sky. Sedona makes for incredible night sky views - its very, very dark, the skies are stable, the humidity is low and its in a higher altitude (4000+). Even going a bit out of town on your own and looking up you could see amazing stars, but Evening Sky Tours made it really come alive and gave you the opportunity to see amazing space phenomena that just aren't visible in most cities.

4 Thank ZestForFineLiving
Harlingen, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“360 view without the crowd”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

if you want to experience Sedona's night sky with experienced star gazer's, this trip is definitely for you. I was a bit hesitant at first because I am used to observatories, and I didn't know what my mother and I were going to be in for, but I can definitely say that neither of us regretted going. This trip is definitely kid friendly, so if you have a family, don't be afraid to take the chance of going. You will be shown constellations in the sky, planets, and certain clusters that look amazing in their telescopes. David and Weston are very knowledgeable people that will lead you through the sky whether it's your first time, or millionth time. You might not be able to see anybody, but you'll be humbled by the true night sky. Also be sure to keep warm!

1 Thank Texas_78550