“Excellent place to stay”

Southwest Inn at Sedona
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Pleasanton, California
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed here over the 2012 Christmas/New Years week. The Inn is located at the western edge of Sedona (about 7 minutes from Tlaquepaque or the "Y"). We found it to be an easy place to stay. By this, I mean easy to find, easy to park, easy to work out of. The rooms are clean, nice and big with 2 queens and a cool little fireplace. They include free Wifi in the rate at a decent bandwidth. Our room also had a whirlpool bath which was a nice addition. Although we didn't try it, the room rate also includes a daily continental breakfast off the lobby. The outdoor spa wasn't on our iteniary this time because it was snowing and a bit cold. The rate we got was reasonable considering this is Sedona. You can spend a lot more for one of the resort places closer to "Uptown" but we found the Southwest Inn just right for our needs.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank You for taking the time and posting such a nice review!

We do take pride in our rooms. We work extra hard in keeping our rooms clean, which means paying close attention to detail. We try to make give off that comfortable feeling when you come in.

Hopefully we will see you in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Lancaster PA
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed here two nights in February...It is a bit out of town, but an easy drive to the main street. Breakfast is good....we were able to eat enough to get hiking! We got a "room upgrade" for $20 a night, but I am really not sure what we got for that....The hot tub looked good but did not get in. We walked across the street for a good dinner. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review! Our location is the perfect spot for hiking trails. We are right next to Dry Creek road which is the entry way to a lot of amazing hiking trails. We love how our guest can just relax at our Inn and enjoy the beauty of Sedona and not the loudness of Up Town.

We hope to see you again in the future!
Alaska
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We try to visit Sedona every year. This time we decided to stay at the Southwest Inn based on the reviews we read online and the location. We enjoy hiking in red rock country and this inn has a very good location near some of the great trails. It is a couple miles to the center of town but we prefer to be a little away from the hubbub. We requested a room with a jetted tub towards the back of the property and were not disappointed. We enjoyed the gas fireplace and upgraded bed linens.The rooms are thoughtfully furnished and all the little touches from soaps to robes made us feel pampered.

We have not been to a more inviting breakfast room (complimentary). It was large and laid out so guests were able to get to each of the stations without tripping over each other. They offer it all; waffle maker, oatmeal, cereal, toast, muffins, burritos with the fixins' as well as coffee, tea, cocoa, & juice service. The pleasant attendant was busy keeping everything stocked and picked up.
The property offers complimentary wi-fi and there is also an internet cafe for those who didn't bring their laptop along.

We enjoyed our Valentine's day stay and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Rooms with jetted tubs are located on the first floor, while rooms with nice views are on the second...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Snowbird-AK
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful reviews. We are so glad you and your wife had the opportunity to really "experience" all our hotel has to offer. Our views, our breakfast, our clean rooms and our amenities are things we take great pride in along with our friendly staff. Also where our Hotel is located.

I am also happy to hear that you had a great Valentines Day! There is nothing quite like waking up to the Sedona Red Rock Views.
Cincinnati
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is the second time we have stayed for a girlfriend getaway. We love the cozy rooms with the gas fireplaces. Continental breakfast is nice. Very healthy choices to prepare us for a day of hiking. No sweets, which was fine with us. All the staff were very nice. We like it because it is on the edge of town so lot less traffic. We were in one of the rooms closest to the highway, so you can hear the highway traffic, but it wasn't a big issue either time we stayed there. MIght be a bigger issue if we had the windows open. Nice hot tub. Many good restaurants close by. Convenient to the hiking trails on the south end of town. Definitely plan to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank debbie s
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your positive review! I am glad to hear that you chose us for your girls getaway and had a great time. It always puts a smile on our faces to hear of returning guest. We always try to do something special for our return guest. If you let us know next time that you are a return guest you will find something special in your room!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Southwest Inn. The breakfast was nice and the room was just fine, although we found the bathroom to be very cold (it was December). Nothing special or anything to write home about, but for the price is was just fine. Sedona is quite beautiful. The location of this hotel is slightly away from the main tourist area which is good, but very close to everything by car with a number of restaurants around. These are individual rooms that enter from the outside with their own key (which could explain the cold) and the lobby is in a seperate building. I would recommend staying here for short stay in Sedona unless you want to spend more for the Enchantment Resort up the road.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank You for your positive response. Makes me happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. I hope you got to try our amazing breakfast burritos!
NYC
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I booked a room for one night from Expedia and was chared $181.48 for one night on 31 August 2012. In the hotel information, it looked fine, a nice resort hotel. We noted many positive reviews in Tripadvisor. On that day, we arrived the facility and could not believe!!: it was a road side motel, a typical check-in reception in front of the motel facility. The pool did not look very attractive, and worse, the doors are facing streight the outside (no covered corridors) which we felt unsafe. It was also very far from city center. Even we asked a reception person if we made a mistake. My husband even misunderstood it was a construction site. I thought the place costing something close to $200 could not be like that. I could not believe what I was seeing.

I immediately left the place and contacted the expedia customer service, explaining all incidence and asked for their help. After 30mm,the customer service told me that the hotel owner (who was very unhelpful and did not return to our call for several days) did not agree to authorize cancellation UNLESS the room would be sold no matter the price to someone else. When I arrived the motel, it was almost empty and I thought it would not be likely. Worse, the place does not have anyone in the night so even if guests come, no one can take care of them.

The customer service manager was not even helpful and telling me they could not do anything due to the cancellation policy. But from the expedia website, it looked like a nice resort hotel in a quiet but still city center location. But in fact it was a simple rod side motel in a remote location and completely different what I expected (Particularly the original price of the experdia was more than $200

I have been staying many hotels and using several booking services, but this was the worst experience ever. I never had this problem in the past. I would like to request for the customer service assistance to get the full refund. I found the better place less than half o the price (and realized many equivalent places are less than half with better facilities.

I do not know why the place is so highly rated in Tripadvisor, but based on my experience which was terrible, I do not recommend this place to anyone. Since the summer, I am still trying to get my money back (they charged taxes and fees even I did not stay there) through my credit card company, but I was told that the owner is not cooperative. This kind of experiences never happened to me in the past.

If you really want to enjoy Sedona which is beautiful place, stay in a city center, and adoid the place like this they are cheating and overcharging you. Terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank doranobi
2dumbpugs, Owner at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
We are very proud of the 94% of our guests who have a positive experience with us, and we work very hard to obtain those positive reviews. In a recent New York Times article, the President of Trip Advisor advised followers to ignore the "extremely positive reviews" and to ignore the "extremely negative reviews", and to follow the middle ground for a good feeling of the experience that you should expect.

Your review appears to be aimed at Expedia and not the Southwest Inn. We do not control the prices that Expedia charges.

Our guests love our location, which is 2 miles from the hustle and bustle of the City Center (lots of tourist shops). We are on the western edge of Sedona, in between several of the Vortex sites. We are next to Dry Creek Road, which is the access to the wilderness canyons; and we are the closest hotel to Red Rock Crossing (you have to see it in order to believe it) and Buddah Beach.

Respectfully,

Craig Phelan
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Coming from somebody in the industry this place is excellent! Free breakfast, free wifi and a very attentive staff. We had the top floor, corner unit closest to the lobby. The view from the front patio was breathtaking in the morning, took some amazing photo's. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and even gave us some coupons for local eateries. The front lobby does close at a certain time and can be reached by phone; some people might find this irritating at times but the resort I work at in Scottsdale does the exact same thing. The breakfast was a very nice plus, make it yourself waffles, yogurt and mini burritos. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and appreciated. The beds and pillows are of better quality than most other resort's in the valley- makes for a great night of sleep. My only suggestion would be to get dvd players in the rooms! Besides that, hands down my favorite place to stay in Sedona on or off a budget, check these guys out! Keep up the great work guys. Cheers!

Room Tip: Top floor, corner units. Ask for an upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt B
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for your great review! I am very pleased that you loved your stay at the Southwest Inn and had a great time in Sedona!

We try very hard, and love it when we connect the value of what we have to offer to those travlers who appreciate us. Thank you for staying with us and made us part of your amazing trip! Hope to see you in the future!