“The Key to my sanity.”

Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Glendale, Arizona, United States
“The Key to my sanity.”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I grew up traveling to the Beautiful Oak Creek Canyon every summer to camp, and have carried that tradition on with my own kids. This past July we decided to stay at Oak Creek Terrace for a change and Im glad we did. We just got back yesterday from our 2nd mini trip up there and we will continue to go there as often as we can. Mark and Justin are friendly as well as the rest of the staff, including the maid service. The Resort is right there in the canyon and even has rooms that face the creek. I love how the Resort has a number of different type of rooms to choose from, from a cabin, to a hotel, a bungalow, etc, They all have their own uniqueness to them so depending on if your there for a romantic getaway or a family vacation they have a spot for you. Their prices are really good as well, if you compare theirs to even a measly motel in Sedona, you will find their prices to be very reasonable, not to mention you get the luxury of staying down by the creek. The kids love playing down at the creek in the sand, catching craw-dads, fishing, exploring, walking across the street to get a treat from DQ, enjoying the Hot-tub, watching the Fish in the Pond, laying in the hammocks, or lounge chairs listing to the creek water flow, and merely taking in the fresh air and scenery that this place has to offer. This place obviously is not a new build and is rustic to a sense and this is what makes it so wonderful. You get the raw feel of what it would be like to be so lucky to live in the well sought area of Oak Creek Canyon and you can tell the Family owned Resort is well loved by its caretakers. After reading some of the negative reviews on here, my only explanation for their "bad experience" is that they must have thought they booked a room in a 5 star Ritzy place where the coffee is ordered through room service rather than actually getting off their tooshes and making it themselves, and where cabana boys/girls serve them cocktails as they relax in the hot-tub or at the creek instead of making/bringing your own. PEOPLE this place is truly a Gem, If your NOT expecting to be waited on. My family and I cant wait to make the next short drive up to our favorite weekend getaway spot!

2 Thank Mellissa F
OakCreekTerrace, General Manager at Oak Creek Terrace Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Wonderful Guest....We Love seeing you everytime.....Thank You!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
IN
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The only "Resort" feature about this place is a LAST Resort! Like others, I did not expect the Ritz, but I didn't expect to be staying in a place that is WORSE than a garbage dump. When we first got in the room, it smelled HEAVILY of moth balls and sewage. We immediately went to the office and requested another room. As they were full, we were told that was not possible. We were told they had a skunk problem and would try to clean the smell out of the room. They also handed us a bottle of Febreeze (which didn't help at all).

As we had been traveling for almost 20 hours, and were too tired to try to find another place to stay, we opted to at least spend the night to see if things improved. We slept (or tried to anyway) with the door wide open to let fresh air in, and cranked up the heat so that we didn't freeze. Needless to say, it really didn't help with the smell AT ALL.

As others have mentioned, customer service was exceedingly poor. We were told to go to the store and pick up Vick's VapoRub and put it under our noses because we were obviously too smell sensitive. We were also told that nobody else had ever complained about smells in the room. See some of the other reviews and you will know that's not true.

Most places will also help you find another place to stay if your accommodations are not acceptable. They handed us a phone number and the name of another place and told us to find our own room. Not being familiar with the area, that was also not acceptable. However, our wish to get out of there as quickly as possible was our incentive and we found a lovely CLEAN place a few miles up the road.

As for the bathroom, the room was so small that you couldn't even sit straight on the toilet. The grout in the shower was full of mold and mildew and that is not acceptable in ANY resort, hotel, motel, or cabin. It took a VERY long time to get any hot water.

For those of you considering this establishment, I highly recommend you consider somewhere else.

7 Thank Ladychow1
Customer did not make reservation with us, Wedding party did. Customer part of Groom family, when checking in was very hopped up and very demanding before checking in room. After... customer stated they were very sensitive to smells of all kinds. Manager, front desk, and staff did everything in their power to satisfy customer, we just dont give a bottle of spray and say have a nice day...Really?? Next day customer was causing duress on wedding party and staff at Hotel, Had many family and friends come into office and apolgize for her actions. Owner talked to her and told her she would be better off staying else where and helped her get that reservation at new Hotel. Owner refunded 2 nights out of 3 that she didnt stay with Hotel. Customer causing more duress by taking action with her credit card company refusing to pay for her one night. By Law customers have to pay if you stay. Customers wedding party went smooth after that. Groom and Bride was contacted few days after to make sure they had a nice stay. They apolgized for what had happen and stated they had a great wedding and will be returning to Hotel in the future. We wish the best for the Groom and the New Bride and hope their future is bright!
Az
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Our room wasn't ready at 3 pm. The housekeeper even came out and explained that there had been a terrible mess in there and was taking longer to clean. That kind of made my family a little nervous and we were prepared for the worst..I have to give kudos though to the housekeeper..she was very apologetic for it taking so long and she really did a great job of getting the room clean. The guy at the front desk wasn't so friendly. My sister had asked if he would give us any kind of discount for having to wait for the room and he seemed pretty put off by that, and no discount. The property itself is very pretty, great canyon views and lots of room to roam. The cabin we were in (#20-the large family cabin), was very dated. The sofa sleeper was pretty much all springs and pretty uncomfortable for my sisters to sleep on. Furniture had a lot of stains, as well as the floors. Water pressure not the greatest, but the shower ran much better than I though it was going to.. Free wifi was a nice plus. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay again, and despite all of the negatives, we still had a great family trip!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms definitely have more privacy than others, as since everyone is able to roam the pr...
Reviewed 28 February 2012

No hot water for jacuzzi tub, used condom wrapper under the bed, owner accused us of "planting" the wrapper! We WERE repeat customers due to a good location and decent price but NEVER again. What an insult to your own customers. He should be running a motel 6. On a side note the front desk workers were at least professional and respectful .

• Stayed February 2012
Customer stayed 2 days. No compaints until check out. Upon check out customer stated he knocked a bottle of water off the night stand and when he reached for it he checked under the bed and found a empty condom rapper. Manager asked Customer if he found anyting else that may have been inside rapper. Customer stated "No" nothing else. Manager asked is there anything else wrong with stay, Customer stated "No". Manager stated he would investigate customers complaint with staff, and if it was staff's fault of not checking under bed when cleaning room he would give customer a call and resolve problem. Customer started to talk about full refund and was to make sure Manager understood that he supports local Business's for which customer was not local, and kept pushing Manager to give him what he wants or will not support local business and give bad reviews. Manager told customer again he would have to investigate it first and then talk to Owner then call customer to resolve problem. Customer called next day and talked to owner. Customer was very rude to owner using foul lanuage. Owner tried to resolve issue with customer but customer would not listen.
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This small resort will always hold a special place in my heart. I met my now husband while I was attending Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. One weekend we made a trip to Sedona and stopped at Oak Creek Terrace. Although the front rooms are small we did enjoy the jacuzzi tub in the room. The larger rooms are all unique and homey feeling. We made many more trips to the resort and ended up getting married there. There is a beautiful grassy courtyard area that is perfect for small wedding. The creek is easily accessible with plenty of seating, beautiful surroundings and the lovely sound of water!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle S
Thank you for staying with us. We Love all of our customers and thx for the great review! Hope to see you again soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Or at least, the one we stayed in. I expected just a little bit more considering the lodging costs. The room was faily small and smelled a bit musty. The bathroom/shower was almost impossible to move around in, small and cramped, will not bode well for those who are claustrophobic. As if the place wasn't already small, somehow there was just enough room for a jacuzzi bathtub and a wood burning fireplace. I guess with those ammenities there is no need for a closet (there wasn't one). On the other hand, you cannot beat it's location. You're just a short ride with an awesome backdrop outside of Sedona! The grounds itself sits in an awesome setting. Just a short walk and you're literally stepping into the creek that runs behind the property. There is a nice sitting area on the upper level where you can enjoy the site of the creek down below and listen to... nothing except the trickling sounds of the creek and birds chirping in the trees. There's even outdoor BBQ gas grilling areas if you prefer to cook your own meals and enjoy the outdoors during your meal. But if you're anything like me and really don't care, it would take more than a "just ok" room to ruin your travel experience. I will consider staying here again on my next visit but probably spending the extra $$$ and renting one of the A-frame cabins instead. I love Sedona!

Room Tip: If you have the extra $$$, shell some out and get one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Oak Creek Terrace. It reminds me, except for the jacuzzi, of family vacations when I was a child. It's a small road side in with just a few rooms. No valet. No elevator. No large front desk where you are treated as a number. I could walk out my door and in two minutes be standing by Oak Creek listening to the clear water rush over the rocks. You will not find a less expensive room in the Sedona area. It is less than 15 minutes from Sedona, and that short drive is indeed scenic. Really, I don't understand why some of these reviews are less than flattering. The only thing I did not like, and this is quite minor, is the low shower flow. I stayed in room 5 and will ask for room 5 next year when I return to Sedona. I hid a $50 dollar bill in a very secretive place. You can ask for room 5 and look, but you will be lucky to find it. Really, it is hidden that well.
In closing, unless you are looking for luxury, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo