“Beware: Resort Fee”
Review of Bell Rock Inn

Bell Rock Inn
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Beware, they will charge you a $10 a day resort fee. They won't tell you about it at check-in. They won't give you any paperwork that specifies that there's a resort fee, or how much it will be.

It's such a dishonest way to do business, it's a shame. Especially if you book through a service like Hotwire, which is what I did. I never saw anything mentioning that the amount I was paying for the room wasn't really the full price. Maybe it was there, but come on, if you're running an honest business, you don't play "gotcha" games, hiding things in the small print. Why not mention it at check-in? Why not include the exact amount which you will be charged, on the paper you sign at check-in? Well duh, it's because some people would leave.

One more thing: before I booked on Hotwire, the listing promised free internet. Upon check-in, they gave me a paper that said my wifi was part of my resort fee. So which is it? Is wifi free, or is it part of the fee? Seems dishonest to try to have it both ways.

By the way, that one reference on that paper was the only thing, anywhere, that mentioned anything about a resort fee. And it never mentioned a $ amount. So I suppose they could, legally, decide to charge you any amount they wanted, if someday they decide that a $10 surprise isn't enough.

If I had known about the extra fee before booking, I would probably have chosen to stay at one of the nice, independently owned motels in Sedona -- places that are actually closer to all of Sedona's attractions. I travel on a budget. $10 is a big deal. But, feeling like I was tricked by a business is a bigger deal.

Otherwise, my stay was okay. The room seemed clean, although it's an older property and there are some scuffed-up walls and such. I killed one bug on the floor. One weird thing about my room: the TV was mounted over the fireplace, in such a way that it cannot be comfortably seen from bed, and it's somewhat awkward from the couch, too. Not a big deal, I didn't watch much TV. And the "fireplace" is a very fake electric heater insert. No romance there.

I hope they reply to this post and tell me how much they care about how I feel about their property. Trust me, when I was there, they had plenty of opportunity to show me that they care how I feel, and they did not.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank edisoncarter23
diamondresorts, Manager at Bell Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your review. As we are committed to being open, honest and transparent with everyone whom we do business, we are concerned that you may have not been made aware of our resort fee and that it had such a negative impact on your stay. We would like to note that we make every effort to ensure that our 3rd party rental and exchange partners advise our guests of this at the time of booking because we encourage guests make an informed decision before booking. We also include this information very prominently on our website. It is truly regrettable if this policy was not property conveyed to you during your reservation booking or at check in and we will address this with our front desk teams immediately. The intention of our resort fee is to bundle the most widely utilized and requested resort amenities and offer them to our guests at one convenient low price. Nevertheless, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope this has not marred your experience and are happy that you had an otherwise pleasant visit. We do wish to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

From check in to check out, this place is wonderful. Super nice, super helpful staff, 24 coffee/tea/hot chocolate in lobby, beautiful pool and hot hot tub, in room coffee, refrigerator, microwave, stove, plates, glasses, flat wear, paper towels, dishwasher, fireplace, extended countertop so u have place to eat, real chairs, super comfortable bed, magnifying mirror, separate toilet area, tons of channels on flat screen, iron, full sized ironing board, great decor, big windows that actually open, iPod doc, QUALITY xtra pillows and blankets...oh yeah and this was the economical studio which was the largest studio I've ever stayed in (has a sofa bed sleeper in "living room") Did I mention free chocolates/candy bars in the lobby.
So nice!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ActivityCoordinator
diamondresorts, Manager at Bell Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you chose to stay at the Bell Rock Inn, and that the resort had everything you needed for a wonderful vacation. We hope you’ll consider us for future visits to the Sedona area – we’d love to see you again!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

While visiting AZ, we decided to make a last minute, impromptu trip to the Grand Canyon. Rather than drive all the way back to Phoenix on the Friday night, we looked for a hotel room in Sedona and then Oak Creek without any luck. We initially drove by Bell Rock Inn assuming it would be expensive, but once we became desperate we decided to inquire at the desk. We took the last available "room". When we swiped the key and walked in, it wasn't just a room; it was 2 bedrooms with large beds and each with a smart tv and ensuite; then we walked up the stairs to discover another bathroom, a ktichen, a living room (with fireplace and smart tv) and a decent sized balcony with a beautiful view. We stayed in the room less than 12 hours (mostly just to sleep) but it was such a gem I wish we could have stayed longer. Some have commented the furnishings are in need of an update, but I thought it had a rustic, cozy feel and was well suited for AZ backdrop. The staff were friendly, helpful and polite, and the room was clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank aca19
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Absolutely a fabulous place to stay. Resort personnel are helpful and willing to make your stay one of the best. Close to golf, shopping and many restaurant. Not downtown Sedona so not as noisy or busy. Easy to get around

Room Tip: Ground level does not require the stairs
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank carol e
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I'll start off with the positives. The property, although not in Sedona, is close to local restaurants, bike shops and places for coffee. We were in a very large 2 bedroom that included a spacious upstairs kitchen, 3rd bathroom and living room with a pull out. The beds were clean and large and had ample pillows. There are 2 pools (although the family oriented one was closed when we were there) with lots of towels in the units. The concierge staff were polite and helpful when all was not smooth with our check in. Lots do parking and in our case dedicated parking close to our room.
The negatives. Many of the fixtures were in disrepair and when maintenance were called to fix a shower head that shot lasers of sharp water they informed us "that's how they all are." After unenthusiastically replacing, it worked much better. A handyman father inlaw with nothing better to do fixed taps with too much calcium build up and a dishwasher that had too much gunk on the 2 rotating nozzles. Figure this kind of thing should be looked into regularly? The pull out was tired and a bit run tattered but functional.
I would stay there again as it was adequate and apparently Diamond resort is spending money on this place as they just acquired it.
The above reflects my review of the resort and does not include how I felt about the "timeshare" presentation which would sink it down to 1 star. Although the point system and the explanation seem somewhat sensible, any sales pitch that thinks a $3000 down payment commitment with no further research at my end is crazy. The increasing sales pressure near the end of the presentation started to get offensive (especially with someone named Anthony) where he actually attempted to play my wife off me. It was actually 20 minutes over the time by this point so odd yourself a favour and stay away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank physiodude
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath unit, which was large. We were only there 3 nights and didn't use the kitchen, although it looked okay. The bedroom was fine with a comfortable king size bed, but the large living room had only sparse furniture that looked like it was at least 20 years old. Whoever decorated it liked dark and I found the interior depressing with dark carpet, dark drapes and old, dated furniture. We didn't use any of the facilities - pool and fitness room - so I have no idea about their quality. We checked in at night and later learned there was a "welcome packet" with discount restaurant coupons which we never received. I would not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan743
diamondresorts, Manager at Bell Rock Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that your experiences at the Bell Rock Inn have dissuaded you from returning here: like all our properties, this resort has an ongoing program of refurbishment, including interior redecoration and replacement of soft furnishings, and we feel sure that if you do choose to return here in the future, your impressions of the resort will be more favorable.

We are sorry to learn that you didn’t receive a welcome pack during your stay. These are provided by the resort’s concierge team, and we would encourage you to speak to them if you have not received this.

We really hope that you’ll give the Bell Rock Inn another chance in the future – we’d love to see you again!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I got a great deal through Priceline bidding. After checking some of the comments though I was not quite sure what to expect....

Checking was fast and efficient. We were in a ground floor room and I requested a second floor room for more privacy = no problem. I too was directed to the concierge but made a wide detour after reading the comments about timeshare sales!

Our studio room was beautiful, spotless and quite large again a very nice surprise after reading some of the comments. There was no housekeeping but lots of supplies in the room. If you ran out of anything you could call for replenishments.

Though they "consider themselves to be in Sedona" this is far from true. The Inn is a 15 minute drive away. Having said that the Bell Rock area is beautiful, quiet and has four or five decent places to eat within five minutes walking. We enjoyed the PJs sports bar.

I would rate this a 3.5* Inn though is is mostly a time sharing resort.

This was our second visit to Sedona and here are some tips:

There are lots of so called tourist information places. Just be aware their primary business is to sell tours as that is how they make their living. The "Arizona State tourist office" is the only true unbiased tourist office. They are super helpful and friendly.

If you like photography the tourist office has a great easy to follow map showing photogenic views.

If you have time visit each place twice, early morning and late afternoon for different colours.

Book tours directly with the tour operator for generally cheaper prices.

In summary we enjoyed our stay here!

Room Tip: Second floor for more privacy. There is no room service and I was unable to take it off so ignore...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterDCanada

Thank you for your review! We are extremely pleased that you chose to stay at the Bell Rock Inn, and that your experiences here exceeded your expectations. We hope that you’ll choose to come back here for another visit – we’d love to see you again!