“Paradise!!!!”

Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
New York City, New York
“Paradise!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

If I could move here....I will!!! This is one of the best places in the world. I love the location ... Even my son (5 years old) keep asking me ... When we going to come back?!!!! Is sooo peaceful/relaxing and beautiful. Our casita was lovely and in looking forward to go this June.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Korean first
Hood River, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Three years ago my mom and sisters took me here for my birthday. It was so amazing that we went again for my mom's birthday this year. It was just as wonderful as I remembered. When we arrived (late, around 10 pm), the gate keeper welcomed us back and even wished my mom a happy birthday. It was so sweet. Mike was waiting for us at the lobby and made us feel right at home. He took us to our casita and helped us transport our luggage and groceries in a golf cart (we stopped at Safeway in Sedona to pick up some snacks). They think of everything - there were even blankets in the golf cart since it was kind of chilly out. We walked into the casita and there was a bottle of wine, chocolate covered strawberries and a card signed by the staff for my mom's birthday too.

We had dinner at Mii Amo one night and in the View 180 room the other. Great food, fantastic service. Our waiters couldn't have been any sweeter.

I had a dosha wrap in the spa and it was the most relaxing thing I have ever experienced.

We also went on a guided hike. Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable about native people and plants. I learned so much.

The people who work at Enchantment couldn't be any more friendly. I think it is because they get to work in such a relaxing, beautiful setting. I can't wait until another one of my sisters has a birthday so we can go back!

Room Tip: Our casita was lovely. The beds were so comfortable, the shower was fantastic, the deck had a great...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Enchantment Resort Review:

Accommodations:
We stayed in a jr. suite at the resort for 9 nights.. The sprawling canyon setting (a former ranch) is unique and the towering red rocks are beautiful. Upon arriving in the room we saw the storage consisted of five small drawers, 1 luggage rack for 4 suitcases and just few hangers, and no place to store the luggage after unpacking. We asked the bell hop for additional hangers which he said he would get us and received none.

The room offered partial views of the red rocks and a clear view of 4 air conditioning units. Plenty of towels, robes and fresh bed linens are refreshed 2-3 times daily. After two nights of sneezing and coughing we asked that the feather bedding be replaced with synthetics, except the pillows provided were lumpy (like a rock sack). There is a lot of static electricity in the rooms that attracts an abundance of dust. One day while we were sitting on the balcony house keeping busied themselves in the room and not once used a vacuum or mop (red foots prints still remained on the carpet and tile). When the sun shines into the room, the dust on the side of the big desk/table was abundant and leaves the impression that no one has instructed the cleaning staff how to clean a room, how to use microfiber cloths nor how to use anti-static products. It is further evident as the dust kicks up from the carpeting when in direct light. This should be addressed !

The resort offers complimentary orange juice (left out side the room in a small pail) and newspapers. OJ was missing 4 days in a row ... the front desk eventually sent a note and a bottle of champagne and OJ for mimosas. The newspaper was missing 6 days.

Our room was located off upper Bear Trail. As we enjoyed walking back from the spa restaurant after dinner we were surprised that this particular road that had trenches on both sides had no illumination until the 9th night.

Internet was very inconsistent and cell phone did not work at all!

Concierge Services:
Communicating with the concierge services can be rough. Although I emailed the concierge and spa with our requests for dinner reservations, activity reservations and spa appointments. There were lapses of several days in replying, no reply or partial confirmations. I received my long distance phone bill today and see I spent 45 minutes in total getting our input and requests confirmed correctly.

The concierge services are not knowledgeable about activities at higher elevations. We booked the full moon hike and asked if there were any limitations and were told there were none and that it was an easy, enjoyable walk. Starting at 4200 ft., the hike was steep and difficult for someone not yet acclimatized to that altitude on their 2nd day after arrival.

Restaurants:
The menus at the club house were below average. The salads were decent, however, the entree portions were large and unhealthy. Not only was the service slow, some staff were abrupt when asked where the food was and slammed the plates on the table rather than serving them with care particularly at Tii Gavo. The lobster bisque at Che-Ah-Chi was disgusting with an oily emulsion floating in the cream based soup. Then offering venison on the menu when there are deer on the premises is like a bad nightmare out of Bambi. An exception was the Sunday brunch at Che-Ah-Chi was delicious and our server Oscar was a delight. That being said it's puzzling why the food and service are so inconsistent and lacking. Only once out of 27 meals did a manager inquire how our meal was, but we had already resolved to cancel any further reservations at the club house and eat at the spa's Mii Amo cafe.

The Mii Amo cafe offers finer cousine, healthier choices and imaginative recipes that were nicely presented. Like the resort restaurants service is slow. At times the communal table gets quite loud when a large group has had a few drinks and are trying to articulate up and down the long table ... I would suggest that the facility offer these large groups of 8+ people a separate or adjacent space by the fireplace lounge, etc.

Mii Amo Spa:
I found the wood burning fireplace most irritating to my throat to the point of coughing. The smell (like an incense) from I believe the grotto was also irritating.

The spa claims to be a quiet, tranquil and peaceful environment and I find this is not quite accurate. There were a few groups of teenagers (16+) not with their moms and larger groups of adults that were loud bordering on shouting.

I specifically requested treatments with female personnel and twice was given the same male. It made me very uneasy and as a result I cancelled my two remaining treatments as the spa front desk proved to be unreliable. The waiting room for the treatments was small, uncomfortable and tightly packed.

The hot stone massage by Gitta was excellent and further enhanced by alternating cold stones. The butter wrap treatment by Zachary was superficial and did not leave my skin feeling nourished and the products used were not particularly efficacious.

Do wear the plastic, spa provided slippers into the showers as they stalls are not cleaned between clients (there was hair everywhere) and was reminiscent of a dorm bathroom. As well my shower did not drain properly and thus left me standing in dirty water. I was resolved to shower back in the room following future appointments.

The spa does not provide manicures or pedicures which is surprising especially with the number of hikers who would probably love some good foot pampering and foot massage after a long trail. When I inquired I was told I could go to Sedona. If I wanted to go to town then I wouldn't be staying at an all-inclusive resort. I would also recommend adding a blow dry bar as a spa service.

The Mii Amo cook book is out of date and does not reflect current menu selections.

The gift shop sells Mii Amo products and offers gift robes to spa staying clients. It does not sell the robes to Enchantment Resort guests who are instructed to order them on line.

Mii Amo does not live up to Canyon Ranch or Miraval. On the surface the staff appear to greet you and say yes, however there's an underlying bit of apathy that is not appealing in the least especially when it's recurrent.

Other Activities:
1.Watercolor class was very good. The instructor is knowledgeable and easily explained how to integrate water, paint, paper and vision.
2.Photography class should be divided by beginner and more advanced experience. One person actually showed up with no camera.
3.Pink Jeeps sunset photography was also very good.
4.Private tour to Antelope Canyon with First Class Charter & Tours (recommended by concierge) with Ed was excellent and very informative.

Miscellaneous:
Hertz Car Rental at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is a disaster (waited over an hour for a car even with a reservation). Perhaps the resort can get some priority service for its guests.

The town of Sedona and the landscape is truly lovely and in all likelihood we will return to the area again, however, we would not stay here as the frequent weaknesses are far from enchanting.

Room Tip: HIgher floors away from the road and away from the kid's coyote club.
7 Thank ottawa198
Carol S, Manager at Enchantment Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Ottawa198:

We certainly appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review. It is evident you did not enjoy your visit and we are disappointed. Your review will be shared with our management team and staff as part of our ongoing efforts to strengthen guest service throughout the resort.
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at this resort for an entire week and loved every moment of our time there. Located inside the beautiful canyon, it is an oasis of tranquility. The staff is friendly, gracious and kind, and the accommodations and amenities are wonderful. There is always something to do within the resort, or within nearby Sedona. The spa is also exceptional, in both staff and facilities. I hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: We were on Fox Run in Casita 49, with a satellite pool. It was a perfect location within the resort...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Pelham, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

An amazing hotel, spa, and "campus". The hotel is literally surrounded by the Red Rocks. The food is amazing in all three restaurants - at the spa, in Tii Gavo, and at Che-ah-Chi. Perfection and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

incredible experience. in the middle of nowhere.
very relaxing and calm. fantastic spa, good restaurants
and very good service
fantastic views from all over, you can drive to the city of sedona.
quiet for a relaxing retreat

Room Tip: room close to receptio
1 Thank jack n
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our second trip to Enchantment, We stayed several nights last year and one night this year. Service was excellent and seamless. Check in was extremely quick. We have eaten at Che-ah-Chi both times that we have been there. Last year we thought it was good. This year the service and meal were outstanding .

2 Thank TorontoRoemer