“Outstanding!”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My daughter planned this trip for me, she said she read reviews and wasn't sure but something kept bringing her back to this particular spot. When we arrived, we were so happy with our room. It was like we had our own apartment.We really enjoyed the restaurants on the resort. The food was fresh and amazing! Loved the location! I have nothing but good things to say.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 May 2014

First time in Sedona. I booked this as a 1 bedroom time-share so I had a VIP concierge greeting. I was given all the maps/brochures/etc and information about the area upon arrival. At 22 acres, the grounds are really lovely with many flowers, especially roses, and greenery. The location is perfect, right before the Y separating upper Sedona from downtown Sedona.

The resort itself appears to be in the midst of refurbishment. Parking is permitted for only 1 vehicle per unit. My condo was pretty basic but clean and tidy with older furniture. The kitchen included 2 counter top electric burners, full refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave oven and a Cuisinart counter top toaster oven. There were pans, dishes, glasses, cups and cutlery as well as paper towels and dish cloths.

The best thing was the large salt water pool. It has 2 deliniated lap lanes. The spa was small. I only toured it but did not use it. There is a lovely little park next to the creek that runs through the property. It was close to many hiking areas and beautiful red rock sites. I throughly enjoyed my restful stay here.

Room Tip: The buildings have 2 levels with no lifts. Some of the rooms on the lower level (like my room) had n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pmdwarrior
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having been timeshare owners the past 28 years, I will say that this facility is in need of an update. Our room, 208, while clean, was very basic and lacked the decorations, e.g., wall hangings, plants, etc., to which we have become accustomed. With all of the amazing red rocks, you'd think that the units would be more reflective of the area. Perhaps our room had not yet been refurbished??? Since our plane was 6 hours delayed in leaving Boston, we didn't check-in until after midnight. The clerk was delightful but she couldn't even tell us where we could buy some groceries in the morning (there is no on-site store!) or which restaurants she could recommend. Only one of the concierges (Mark) was helpful - the rest told us to make our own reservations!! Not helpful since this was our first trip to Sedona. Unfortunately, it may be my last since it was difficult for me to breath. Everything is up a hill and if you have any type of lung issues - forget it. I will say, the resort offers some wonderful activities and the children and adults in the recreation room and pool were all having fun. While my husband was off on a Pink Jeep all day trip to the Grand Canyon, I sat by the pool with some new friends, read, and then we played bingo. We sat in on a very interesting lecture on vortexes (vortices?) given by a local expert and another night we listened to some beautiful Native American flute music. As I mentioned in my title, the location of the resort is absolutely perfect, no matter in which direction you are traveling. In the meantime, until the resort is refurbished, I would recommend staying at one of the other Diamond Resort properties which have already undergone refurbishing. Hints: offer free coffee/tea/afternoon cookies, free USA Todays, free shuttle rides to various locations (Parking is a nightmare and you do not want to move your car unless absolutely necessary!)

Room Tip: No elevators so ask for a first floor unit if walking or breathing is difficult for you.
1  Thank Psychdeb2
Reviewed 7 May 2014

There are a lot of bad reviews for this resort they are the result of the previous poor management and maintenance of the property. A new management company has taken over and the property has improved significantly over the last 18 months. If I were trying to make a decision on staying here, I would limit myself to reviews written during the last 12 months as they will more accurately describe the current condition of the property.

LOCATION: Great location next to an upscale shopping and dining area and very close to the central core of the town. There are several good restaurants located within easy walking distance. The resort is set back from the main road making it private and very quiet. A creek runs along the back side of the property providing a nice outdoor retreat area with many large mature shade trees. This is a very pretty area and a nice place for a walk along the creek.

GROUNDS: The grounds are beautiful with many mature shade trees and well manicured landscaping throughout. It was evident that a lot of care was taken to maintain the landscaping and the hardscape. There are several BBQ grill areas throughout the property with good quality and very clean stainless steel grills.

ARCHITECTURE: Great bones! The Spanish style architecture was beautiful with details that added to the appeal. The common areas were beautifully done and in excellent condition. Visually this resort was much more impressive than other newer resorts we saw in Sedona.

AMENITIES/ACTIVITIES: The main pool & spa was expanded and completely rebuilt in 2013 and includes an attractive beverage and snack bar. It is large and nicely done with an adequate number of new chaise lounges in both sun and shade areas. The spa was the largest I have ever seen and the temperature was just right. The smaller pool was closed for maintenance during our stay. It is not as nice as the main pool, but would be a good pool for children. The resort offers lots of activities for guests including miniature golf, DVD's, books, on-site mini theater with current movies, board games, ping-pong, etc. A full Luxury Spa is located on property and offers a wide range of services that one would expect at an upscale resort.

UNIT INTERIORS: This is where the resort falls short. The management is restoring and upgrading the interiors in stages. Our unit had new draperies, furniture, paint, wall art, bedding, lighting, and carpet. The units are functional but are somewhat dull and lifeless and just don't have that coordinated upscale look. If you are looking for a Marriott or Westin interior, you won't find it here. The bed was comfortable but the other furnishings were only semi-comfortable. The bathroom and kitchen were not yet upgraded and it showed with outdated and well worn plastic countertops and outdated fixtures. This was smallest kitchen I have ever seen. It was u-shaped with 7'x7' dimensions and that included the cabinets. The open floor space was 3'x4'. There was ZERO space in the cabinets for food storage, not one square foot. We had to store food items on top of the microwave and the dining table. It definitely was a 1 person kitchen where you can stand in the middle and use the sink and every appliance without taking a single step. This kitchen was a design deficiency when the resort was built and the management has done the best it can by outfitting it with key appliances in miniature size. Tiny microwave oven bolted on top of a 3/4 size refrigerator next to a small sink adjacent to a tiny countertop toaster oven which is next to a 2 burner electric cooktop. It all works but everything was miniaturized. That being said we found that the kitchen was MUCH better than the little kitchenettes that are found in many resorts including some of the Marriott Vacation Club properties in Hawaii. Bottom line, the kitchen did a decent job with breakfast, lunch, and snacks for a party of two. If you want to prepare a full dinner for 4 you will find it a challenge. The outdoor balconies were spacious and furnished with new upscale chairs and cocktail table. It's a pleasant area to enjoy coffee in the morning and glass of wine in the evening.

STAFF: Excellent, excellent, excellent! The staff was friendly, caring, helpful and very knowledgeable. The concierge desk was very helpful with activity and dining recommendations, brochures, guidance, and reservations. The current management company has done an excellent job in recruiting and training a truly wonderful staff. This is what I would have expected at a Ritz Carlton property but was pleasantly surprised to find here.

BOTTOM LINE: Would we stay here again, absolutely. The location, staff, grounds, amenities, pool, and architecture make this a winner. The unit interiors are somewhat lacking but more improvements are coming along, just don't expect a full size kitchen. This is a good resort for families as well as couples and Sedona is a fun place to vacation.

Room Tip: None of the buildings offered great views or privacy. I advise against rooms that are near the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

After reading all the bad reviews on here, I was skeptical of staying here. But we were staying in a timeshare courtesy of my parents, so we went with fingers crossed. It was fantastic! I don't understand any of the bad reviews I read. The place was clean (except for the floor - see below) and the grounds beautiful. No one bothered us with a timeshare sales push at all. It was a very relaxing stay. The kitchen is very small and the layout difficult to work with, but we were happy to have a kitchen at all, instead of eating out all the time. Grills are available for use outside too. We stayed in a 1 BR. The pullout couch in the living room was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The kids pool was closed for repair while we were there, and that was disappointing, but these things happen. The other pool and hot tub was still open. The kids loved the mini-putt and the giant chess board. There is also a small playground. We were there at Easter, and went to their egg hunt. The kids had fun. The only compliant I had was that their floors need better cleaning. A previous reviewer wasn't kidding when he said his kids socks were black. We all kept our shoes on. The rugs need a good shampooing and each unit should have a mop to mop the tile floors. The maid only comes once a week and I would have liked to clean my floors more often than that. Overall, it was a good stay.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a great resort - close to everything! Our room was recently renovated. Our complex had it's own swimming pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved the workout area, with a covered porch attached to it.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Visited Los Abrigados recently with friends. I found the property to be charming, not outdated as mentioned in other reviews. We stayed as a group of 3 and did not spend much time on the compound but I felt as if there was a lot to offer for someone with an active lifestyle or a family. Variety of restaurants and shops within the community and a very close walk to the central area. I would love to revisit for a calm getaway and enjoy more of the community.

Wifi worked great. Calm and quiet for the entirety of our trip. Not a good place to stay if you want views. As we were not looking for that, all our needs were met and we were more than satisfied with our stay. Parking was a little difficult at times. Large jacuzzi was an added bonus, with a TV within view, added bonus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KikiJamaicanTraveler
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Abrigados Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay here at Los Abrigados. We were excited to read that all your needs were met and that you were more than satisfied with your stay. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!