“This is a beautiful place taking advantage of its star rating”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Our experience was horrifing. we had two lodgings. my mother and daughter in one and my husband and i in another. my mother and daughter discovered cockroaches in theirs. We called and we were treated rudely and no compensation was ever made. no change of rooming. No apology, nothing. We will never return there. There are other very nice lodgings in Sedona that are not relying on there star rating to ignore the customers they have!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 November 2008

Despite other reviews, my husband and I found this place a real treat! We were here to celebrate our marriage and stayed for the first week of November.
Check in was incredibly easy. They suggested we go to the welcome desk where they are very helpful as well! We got there and she handed us maps of the area, great information on tours and gave us her personal extension if we needed anything. We went to our room after that which was a suite with a full kitchen (including full size fridge and freezer, microwave, stove, dishes, silverware, pots, and a dishwasher). The living room had a couch and tv with a dining area. Our room was nice and large with a nice vanity area. The shampoo, soap, etc. came from the spa on location so it was nice having more than typical products. After we checked in, we went to concierge to book a pink jeep tour and they made it all so very easy! The two women we encountered at the concierge was so incredibly helpful the entire week we were there with questions ranging from "where can you get a nice pair of hiking shoes?" to "what is a good place to get prickly pear drinks?" They were wonderfully helpful.

The hotel also has great classes and sessions (some of which are free) that we did. We attended a massage for two class with a very knowledgable instructor. We also went to a wine tasting in the Stakes and Sticks restaurant and had such a great time mingling with other guests while learning about wine. Yoga is also another activity we really enjoyed in the huge fitness center next to the spa. My husband went and had a massage at the spa and said that was also a pleasant experience.

We went to both restaurants on site and both were wonderful. We went back three times in a week for this one soup that was out of this world!!!! When you go to Steak and Sticks, order the Red Rock soup...or something to that affect. It was wondeful as is their salad and burgers.

My only complaint from the trip was housekeeping comes once in the week on your third day's stay but she came to our room at 8 in the morning and we had been driving really late the night before so we were still asleep at that point. We asked her to come back and she never did so we had to spend $15 to request for them to come the next day. Minor set back. Another thing is their water pressure is not great in the room but the water is always the temperature you set it at. Overall, a great great stay at Los Abrigados and I can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wnster
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I was given a gift certificate as a gift for my birthday and was excited to get some much needed R&R. When I made my reservation I specifically requested a room with a bathtub in a quiet area.

When I arrived I found I was put in a handicapped room because they had oversold my room type and since I had a gift certificate they thought it was best to put me in the awkward room. The bathroom reminded me of a bathroom on a ship - no barrier at all between the shower stall and the toilet. The entire room smelled very stale, the carpets were stained and the front door didn't seem to lock well. I called the front desk and Tiffany was good enough to move me into a different room with a bathtub.

The new room (suite 265) was also very outdated. None of the curtains matched each other, the bedspread was very contemporary and the curtains were Southwestern. The fixtures in the bath and vanity area did not match - some were gold, some were silver and some were silver and gold. The countertops and bath surround were cracked and dingy. The area around the sink faucets hadn't been wiped very well.

However, the staff was very helpful and made up for the bad room. Tiffany and Simonetta (?) were awesome at check-in and were so helpful in finding me a better room. Mary and Carol in the gift shops were very helpful and even pulled items from their backstock to make sure I got what I wanted. Mario at lunch was very friendly and attentive and while the food was nothing to write home about the service was impecible. During my walks around the property only one person ever said hello or asked how my stay was. Everyone else seemed to walk with their heads down in hopes of not being asked any questions.

Unfortunately, checkout was not as good. Bill (?) wasn't a bit helpful. He just said, you're done and didn't even give me a copy of my bill!!!

Overall, I wouldn't suggest the resort as a place to stay but I would suggest the gift shops and restaurants to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2008

First, there are no elevators. My room was on the second floor, but there were 3 staircases to climb before getting there. A large, dead cockroach stayed in front of my doorway for about 6 days out of 7 --no one ever swept the hallways or stairs.

I went to the spa for a facial treatment and wound up with a face looking like I had been in an accident--as if dragged face down on concrete--besides the treatment being extremely painful. When I called and complained about my face, they said some faces were more sensitive than others. I had to ask for aloe vera to put on my face. I was told to "Stay out of the sun"--this in July and the reason I went to Sedona.

I stayed in my room for 2 days, then I ventured out to their restraurant "Steaks & Sticks". Don't bother going to this restraurant if you think you might need to go to the washroom during your meal. When you get back, your food and brochures will have been cleared away and other people seated at your table--just like a Twilight Zone episode.

My overall impression--If you want to be insulted, injured and stay in a place that doesn't keep halls and stairs clean--this is the place to come!

P.S. The pool was taken over by teenagers at all hours it was open.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank egypt4me
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This is quite a lovely resort, siuated in a beautiful setting adjacent to Tlaquapape (spelling???) and the creek. They do not fall short as a resort & spa. The spa facilities were more than adequate. The massage therapists were excellent. The health club had a good assortment of free weights and machines, although some of the equipment was a bit dated. Los Abrigados has a very comfortable & relaxed atmosphere that make it a great place for couples and families with kids. The only disapointment were the rooms. With all the sun and surrounding beauty of Sedona the rooms were a bit dark & lacking in windows. The furnishings of the rooms were comfortable but they were just a bit dated.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 14 October 2008

We just returned from a week's stay at Los Abrigados. The resort remains one of the most conveniently located places to stay in Sedona. Within walking distance, you’ll find Tlaquepaque’s restaurants and shops, a farmer’s market provided by the resort, and even Uptown Sedona’s more commercial and touristy area, full of more dining and shopping options. Please be aware that there is major construction currently taking place around Sedona. Sidewalks are being added, and streets are being widened and paved on Highway 179 and parts of 89A. This will directly affect you if staying at Los Abrigados. Throughout the day, you’ll be able to hear the construction vehicles, and traffic coming in and out of the resort area will be tricky at times. Once done, however, the roads and streets will be much more accessible for both pedestrians and drivers.

The resort itself seems to be going through changes, as we saw several rooms being remodeled. Our 2-bedroom suite with a small kitchen was very nice, comfortable, and situated in a lovely corner of the resort away from all the activity. The resort amenities, such as the fitness center, the pool, and the hot tub were also well-maintained and enjoyable to use.

My only concern may be their customer service. I’ve stayed here before, and I did notice a lack of concern or quality on this recent trip. While their responses were adequate, I’ve come to expect a bit more when staying at this kind of resort. They were NEVER helpful on the phone when calling prior to our stay, but slightly improved when dealing with them in person, i.e., during check-in or check-out. I just couldn’t help but feel that they weren’t happy doing their jobs, and that’s never good in the hospitality industry.

My final summary – if you can hold off on visiting Sedona, do so. Wait 6 months or so, until the construction is done. (This is a guess; I have no way of knowing for sure when they’ll be done), but if traveling to Los Abrigados, expect a very nice stay at a good resort, ideally located to all the scenery and activities in Sedona. Just don’t expect too much from their staff.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NJtraveler40
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I travel for work 75% of the month and want to enjoy where I stay when on vacation. I wouldn't even stay here for work. The lock on the door didn't work. We were locked out every time we left the room. The room smelled musty , looked like a college dorm (so bring your shower shoes!) and had body hair left in the shower from the guest before. Bring your own towels, unless you like drying off with sandpaper.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family