“Nice views and pool - large rooms but very dated”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We traded a week to stay at Los Abrigados through RCI. We arrived and check in was quick. We did not get pressured into presentations, we were asked but no pressure. We received a 10% discount card which was nice to use at the restaurants in the resorts. We got to our room, 211, which was the first building with beautiful view of mountains and pool - corner suite. Room was huge for a 2 bedroom 2 bath, but as everyone else is saying - very very outdated. Room was generally clean but I think since everything looked old, it didn't give the impression it was clean and I am definately a clean freak. The people were nice and pool was great with wonderful hot tub. It was a bit cool but it didn't stop us from checking out the pool, sunning and using the hot tub. We walked into town and did shopping, ate at Joey's, great Italian food and the salads were to die for. We had breakfast at the other restaurant, horse and stix I think it was called, good quality breakfast. My husband and son went to watch games during the afternoon at that bar and it was nice. We didn't use our full week of the time share as we were traveling down to Arizona State and University of Arizona to check out colleges. I don't think I would I have been thrilled to stay longer than the few days as the oldness and appearance of it not being cleaned was appealing. For most, the room would be fine if you can get past the dated rooms. I am a Wynn/Belligio stayer so keep that in mind when reading the review. For my teenagers 14 and 17 - the room to them was awesome. Lots to do in the resort - mini golf course, basketball courts, tennis, fitness center - if they would update their rooms, it would be a hit. Also, lots of construction and had trouble finding the resort as it is tucked behind a shopping center.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank pmazcomm
There are newer reviews for Los Abrigados Resort and Spa

Reviewed 21 March 2009

Check-in took about 30 minutes because they had trouble locating our reservation. Our reservation did not require a time-share presentation and when we checked in she wanted me to sign a time-share presentation obligation. I told her we were not obligated to take the tour so she had to re-check our reservation again. One nice touch was that they gave my toddler a "cookie credit card" where we could take the card to the bar/restaurant there and get a free cookie per visit. When we got to our room, the door was unlocked and slightly open. Then there was someone's purse on the bed. The bathroom sink looked like it had been used and the toiletries were gone. I called the front office and apparently someone had our room then wanted to switch to a different suite with 2 queen beds instead of 1 king. The front desk said they would send security up immediately. After 20 minutes they did not arrive so we had to call the front desk again since it was late and we wanted to go to sleep. We also had to ask for housekeeping to bring some toiletries. Security finally arrived to pick up the purse and housekeeping shortly after to give us the toiletries that were missing from the room. We had a one bedroom suite with a king bed. The room was extremely outdated with mismatched old furniture. The room was also not very clean and had a weird old smell to it. Luckily we had a very good rate of $199 plus tax for 2 nights. I would've been extremely disappointed had we paid the regular rate of at least $199/night. We had dinner at Joey Bistro one night. The food was delicious, especially the calamari, but the service was so slow. We didn't get a chance to have dessert since the service was so slow and we had to get our toddler to bed. On a positive note, the grounds are beautiful and very well kept. There is a little playground for kids and the creek is also close by. Tlaquepaque, a shopping area, is also within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MJASAZ
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The resort was nice and Joey's restraunt food was wonderful. We asked for the hot tub to be unlocked and the staff had someone unlock it for us.Lots of shops within walking distance, Will recommend Joeys to everyone!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Our experience was horrifing. we had two lodgings. my mother and daughter in one and my husband and i in another. my mother and daughter discovered cockroaches in theirs. We called and we were treated rudely and no compensation was ever made. no change of rooming. No apology, nothing. We will never return there. There are other very nice lodgings in Sedona that are not relying on there star rating to ignore the customers they have!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Despite other reviews, my husband and I found this place a real treat! We were here to celebrate our marriage and stayed for the first week of November.
Check in was incredibly easy. They suggested we go to the welcome desk where they are very helpful as well! We got there and she handed us maps of the area, great information on tours and gave us her personal extension if we needed anything. We went to our room after that which was a suite with a full kitchen (including full size fridge and freezer, microwave, stove, dishes, silverware, pots, and a dishwasher). The living room had a couch and tv with a dining area. Our room was nice and large with a nice vanity area. The shampoo, soap, etc. came from the spa on location so it was nice having more than typical products. After we checked in, we went to concierge to book a pink jeep tour and they made it all so very easy! The two women we encountered at the concierge was so incredibly helpful the entire week we were there with questions ranging from "where can you get a nice pair of hiking shoes?" to "what is a good place to get prickly pear drinks?" They were wonderfully helpful.

The hotel also has great classes and sessions (some of which are free) that we did. We attended a massage for two class with a very knowledgable instructor. We also went to a wine tasting in the Stakes and Sticks restaurant and had such a great time mingling with other guests while learning about wine. Yoga is also another activity we really enjoyed in the huge fitness center next to the spa. My husband went and had a massage at the spa and said that was also a pleasant experience.

We went to both restaurants on site and both were wonderful. We went back three times in a week for this one soup that was out of this world!!!! When you go to Steak and Sticks, order the Red Rock soup...or something to that affect. It was wondeful as is their salad and burgers.

My only complaint from the trip was housekeeping comes once in the week on your third day's stay but she came to our room at 8 in the morning and we had been driving really late the night before so we were still asleep at that point. We asked her to come back and she never did so we had to spend $15 to request for them to come the next day. Minor set back. Another thing is their water pressure is not great in the room but the water is always the temperature you set it at. Overall, a great great stay at Los Abrigados and I can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wnster
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I was given a gift certificate as a gift for my birthday and was excited to get some much needed R&R. When I made my reservation I specifically requested a room with a bathtub in a quiet area.

When I arrived I found I was put in a handicapped room because they had oversold my room type and since I had a gift certificate they thought it was best to put me in the awkward room. The bathroom reminded me of a bathroom on a ship - no barrier at all between the shower stall and the toilet. The entire room smelled very stale, the carpets were stained and the front door didn't seem to lock well. I called the front desk and Tiffany was good enough to move me into a different room with a bathtub.

The new room (suite 265) was also very outdated. None of the curtains matched each other, the bedspread was very contemporary and the curtains were Southwestern. The fixtures in the bath and vanity area did not match - some were gold, some were silver and some were silver and gold. The countertops and bath surround were cracked and dingy. The area around the sink faucets hadn't been wiped very well.

However, the staff was very helpful and made up for the bad room. Tiffany and Simonetta (?) were awesome at check-in and were so helpful in finding me a better room. Mary and Carol in the gift shops were very helpful and even pulled items from their backstock to make sure I got what I wanted. Mario at lunch was very friendly and attentive and while the food was nothing to write home about the service was impecible. During my walks around the property only one person ever said hello or asked how my stay was. Everyone else seemed to walk with their heads down in hopes of not being asked any questions.

Unfortunately, checkout was not as good. Bill (?) wasn't a bit helpful. He just said, you're done and didn't even give me a copy of my bill!!!

Overall, I wouldn't suggest the resort as a place to stay but I would suggest the gift shops and restaurants to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2008

First, there are no elevators. My room was on the second floor, but there were 3 staircases to climb before getting there. A large, dead cockroach stayed in front of my doorway for about 6 days out of 7 --no one ever swept the hallways or stairs.

I went to the spa for a facial treatment and wound up with a face looking like I had been in an accident--as if dragged face down on concrete--besides the treatment being extremely painful. When I called and complained about my face, they said some faces were more sensitive than others. I had to ask for aloe vera to put on my face. I was told to "Stay out of the sun"--this in July and the reason I went to Sedona.

I stayed in my room for 2 days, then I ventured out to their restraurant "Steaks & Sticks". Don't bother going to this restraurant if you think you might need to go to the washroom during your meal. When you get back, your food and brochures will have been cleared away and other people seated at your table--just like a Twilight Zone episode.

My overall impression--If you want to be insulted, injured and stay in a place that doesn't keep halls and stairs clean--this is the place to come!

P.S. The pool was taken over by teenagers at all hours it was open.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo