“Big Wow Factor!!”
Review of Poco Diablo Resort

Poco Diablo Resort
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 6 July 2007

We stayed here three nights in late June. Our room was unexpectedly beautiful - it was huge with a very comfortable king sleep number bed, contemporary new furnishings, large jacuzzi bathroom, terry bathrobes, wireless, a private balcony and view of the small golf course and red rocks... it had a big wow factor.
The location is nicely away from the traffic of Sedona but close enough to get to downtown quickly.
The staff was wonderfully helpful - from a quick check-in to the great bartender who introduced us to an excellent sipping tequila, to the concierge who always had a smile for the guests. We could not have felt more invited by the friendly and helpful staff.
Sure, there was some remodeling going on but we never heard it nor were inconvenienced by it and we never saw a bug on the property.
We would definitely stay here again. Good location, excellent price for the Sedona area, super friendly staff, and updated rooms are all good reasons to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank OnTheGoToday

Reviewed 30 June 2007

My wife and I have had a hard time coming up with an overall feeling of this hotel. In the end, I think we settled on the notion that this hotel is a middle-of-the-road motel that is masquerading as a resort.

The location is nice, just outside of all that is Sedona. We were just a few minutes drive to all the restaurants, shopping and outdoor activities.

The "resort" is currently undergoing some renovations which I took as a sign that the management is working to improve the hotel. New sidewalks are going in.

The lobby is nice with a small business center and a very helpful and friendly staff. There is a concierge willing to help you make plans.

The set-up is more like a motel with all rooms opening to the outside. The rooms do lack some lighting but are overall well-furnished. I thought the room was rather large for a standard room. Refrigerator, bath robes and free wireless internet were nice. The beds are "Sleep Number" which are nice if you know what your number is (unfortunately, we did not and never figured it out).

There is a $5 resort fee if you want to take advantage of the tennis courts and other offerings. The tennis courts and massage rooms are across the street from the hotel and I did not venture over there. The bathrooms are a nice size with a good shower. There is a restaurant on the grounds but we heeded the advice of previous reviewers and went elsewhere.

I do agree with the other reviewers that there is a COCKROACH problem. Thankfully we only saw one as it crawled across our bathroom floor. Hopefully management will get an exterminator soon!

The grounds are nice but outdated. I would recommend a golf course view room. At night there is an illuminated gazebo as well as an illuminated fountain in the pond on the golf course. The pool was average and we did not go in the fitness room since there was some construction taking place. The hot tub was a joke (ice cold water) and was closed after our first day there.

Overall, minus the bug, I was pleased with our stay due to the location, pleasant view and mostly because I booked the hotel at a discount rate (summer, mid-week). I would recommend this hotel but not at the full rate.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DaveLD
Reviewed 24 June 2007

This was an adequate place. Maybe if they didn't put "resort" in the name, it wouldn't disappoint. It's nicer than a 2-star hotel, but there are things that prevent it from being really deluxe---- the architecture for example is that of a typical 2-star hotel. Two levels, long corridor facing the parking lot. You pull into the spot near your door and lug the suitcases in. Lobby is like a day's inn lobby. When we were there, a number of bus tours unloaded right outside our room...buses idling, etc. Yuck.

It's nicer than a Day's Inn or Econolodge though...like they're trying. There's a little golf course in the middle and two pools, tennis courts, etc.

They're facing a tricky proposition: people who want a real resort won't like this place because of the two-star feel of the buildings and people who are content with a two-star hotel won't want to pay resort prices for add-ons like select-comfort beds and tennis courts.

On the positive side, it's very convenient to the "Y" (intersection) of downtown Sedona and to Red Rock park and all the views.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank CoCoSandy
Reviewed 24 June 2007

I was really looking forward to this trip but was quickly let down by this "resort". I called ahead and asked if we could arrive one day early and was told "no problem". When we arrived the first thing I noticed was the room rate had been increased vs. my original reservation. The clerk quickly fixed this. Then I see a sign that says the pool ins closed! It was about 100 degrees and we're traveling with two children. The clerk tells me they have access to another pool and their's will open in a day or two. The other pool was on the property of a time share that was adjacent to the property.

Someone would drive you in the Radisson golf cart or you could walk the 200 yards to the "other" pool where about 12 old, beat up lounge chairs awaited. Don't forget to get towels from the desk. This pool was only accessible with a key from the front desk of which they had 2.

At first they told me the "real" pool, you know the one in their brochure, would open on the 19th, then it was the 21st. I don't know if it ever opened because we left a day early and went to the Hilton.

What grinds me the most is the hotel did NOTHING to compensate us for the inconvenience and disappointment of not being able to use the facilities that were the main reason we chose to stay there. No Pool, No Lounge, No Fitness Center. It was a real let down. At check out I was charged a "resort fee" of $5.00 per day. When I asked what this was for I was told it was for parking and amenities. For the record the parking was great. I'm still waiting for the amenities.

Sedona's a great place to visit don't derail your trip by staying here.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank GGoli
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We stayed at the Radisson on our recent visit to Sedona. We were apprehensive about the property as some of the earlier reviews of this hotel were not complimentary. However, we found everything to be great. Our room was recently updated and had very comfy beds with fluffy comforters and double pillows. The main pool on site was undergoing repairs and the staff went out of their way to shuttle us by golf cart to another pool on the property. The staff was entertaining and very helpful. The breakfast was good in the hotel. The concierge provided us with information on local recommended restaurants and a coupon for 10% off the Pink Jeep Tours. We thought this hotel was a great value for the rate we paid. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie07
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Having stayed at Radisson properties before, I was kind of disappointed with this one. It's not a typical Radisson in my opinion. I would probably compare it to a slightly nicer Days Inn.

When we arrived the first thing I noticed that was a big dissapointment was that the rooms were all set-up like a motel (no interior hallways). I guess I should have researched this before making my reservation, but somehow I was under the impression that the Radisson was set-up more like a nice hotel, and not a cheap motel 6.

I reserved and paid extra, for the Elite Spa Room, which was advertised as one of their nicest rooms. I was not impressed. For starters, the room seemed kind of dark and drab. There was a small refridgeraror in the room. When we opened it, I noticed some moldy leftovers from the previous guests, yuck! Our first night, we went out to dinner. When we came back to the room, I noticed something dark sitting on the floor. I bent down to get a closer look, and realized it was a rather large bug! It may have been a cockroach, not really sure, and really I don't want to think about it. At the time, I tried to stay positive, I told myself that the bug must have wandered in when we had the door open. Unfortunately, this was not a one time thing. I saw several other bugs scurry across the floor in the bathroom.

When we stepped outside onto the patio which goes right out onto a golf course we were immediately surounded by ducks looking for food. Af first we found this to be ammusing, but after awhile it gets old. I couldn't even open the paito door without, a duck trying to come into the room; and I had to be careful where I stepped on the patio, because of all the little "presents" the ducks left behind.

The fireplace in the room apparently is just for show, because it doesn't actually work. They should warn people about the jacuzzi. If you turned the jetts on before getting into the tub, it would squirt water all over the room, including the bed.

I understand that Sedona is a really expensive place to begin with, but I still don't think that the price I paid for my room was a fair deal. looking around at what my other options would have been in that area, I think I would have been better off just staying at a small motel for half the price.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2007

We stayed at the Radisson hotel April 24th for 2 nights. It was very nice. We stayed in the newer building in room 607, very big room, jacuzzi tub, fireplace, balcony facing golf course. I really enjoyed the stay.

We called hotel day before saying we would like to request early check in the gal said no problem saying they were not full---than next day when we arrived to check in we know we were early but the lady at the front desk was just a cranky old bat, looked more like a maid than a front desk receptionist. She basically yelled you need to come back later. Did not even check to see if our room was available.

Anyway we did had no problem doing that went for a nice hike, when we came back very nice guy was there and checked us in. and when we checked out again very friendly staff.

Hotel is located away from main town but did not mind that with a car, pool is small but worked for having a drink and sitting out in the sun.
It seems they do have a lot of bus tours staying their but really did not matter to us.
would stay their again no problem

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple