“Great experience...would do it again!”

Poke A Stick Lava Tours
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Kalapana
More attraction details
Owner description: Aloha Lava Tour is located on the Big Island of Hawaii in Kalapana. We offer the experience of a lifetime hike to the actual hot lava surface flows. Our guides have an extreme knowledge and understanding of the active lava conditions,which enables them to provide a safe, fun and memorable lava adventure. Feel the heat under your feet as we hike to the new ocean entry. Call Now to book your next hike.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Richmond, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great experience...would do it again!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My family and I all had a great time on the lava tour that departed around 5 pm. Our group consisted on my husband and I, my two kids aged 8 and 12 and my father-in-law aged 73. I chose to go with Cheryl and Scott (Poke a Stick) after speaking to Cheryl briefly on the phone about the tour and whether my kids could go or not and she was very friendly and reassuring. The hike that night was around 2.5 miles each way. The worst part for me wasn't the physical part of hiking, but rather just the fact that you have to concentrate on where your next step will be the whole time when you really just want to be taking in the scenery and the starlit sky. It briefly rained the night we went which made the lava a little slippery at times, but nobody fell and we all had panchos. There was no surface lava flow the night we went, but we did have an awesome view from the cliff above of the lava entering the ocean. We had plenty of time to view the lava, take pictures, eat a snack, roast marshmallows, etc. before heading back. Cheryl and Scott were very patient and accommodating to my children and my father-in-law who was a little slower at times during the hike. They also had a wealth of knowledge about the lava, the timeline of different flows, and stories about locals and local folklore. If you want positive, upbeat and friendly guides then pick Poke A Stick tours and you will not be disappointed! This tour will definitely be on my to do list again when we return to the Big Island.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank kaykayram

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best people for the best experience.”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The folks a poke a stick are simply the best. They genuinely want you to have a good time. From free bananas when you arrive to bright flashlights with fresh batteries. These people know exactly what they can do to make this experience the best. The trip is a rough hike and something not for those who are out of shape. I've run marathons and was sweating during the 5+ mile round trip. I always felt safe and the guides were full of the aloha spirit. Don't make a mistake and skip your chance to poke a stick into lava!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Dave D
Tampa, Florida
“Fantastic Tour”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was a great tour. Cheryl, Scott, and Chelsea are awesome! Our guides did a good job of keeping us safe and pointing out all the important elements of the lava. They are very customer service oriented - providing sunscreen, water, food, flashlights, minor first aid, etc. - you name it and they provide it. We did an evening tour that worked out great for temperature, pictures and getting a good "flame" on the stick from the lava. Even though it is a long hike, my eight year old daughter did it with no worries (plus help and encouragement from Cheryl and Chelsea), so I think just about anyone can do it. Definitely better than seeing the lava from a helicopter (you can't roast marshmellows with the lava from a helicopter :-)). I highly recommend it.

Penticton, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Best View Of Big Island Lava”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Although you can hike out unguided to the surface lava flows on Hawaii's Big Island, my wife and I were very happy we booked the tour with Poke A Stick - without the experience of their guides we would NOT have felt safe enough to get so close to the flowing molten rock.

Chelsea and her father Jerry were our guides for the evening. They knew exactly were to go. Upon arriving at the surface flow, they kept our group at a safe distance while they did a recon around the flow to determine the very best - and safest - approach angle.

We were able to do exactly what the tour offers - poke a stick into the hot lava. With a little care, we were able to extract a small small sample which cooled quickly (about 20 minutes) for a wonderful souvenir.

Standing on the very hot basalt, seeing the red-hot glow through multiple cracks and fissures was a thrill. Yes, we could smell the soles of our hiking boots melting and after the tour upon inspection we could see the evidence of the heat. Don't wear the wrong shoes out for this adventure! (Don't wear Keen or other 'hiking' sandals - you'll spend too much time emptying rocks from your shoes!)

There were families with younger children - parents must be able to judge the stamina of their children and decide if the hike is appropriate. The distance to the flow changes nightly. For us, it was about 1.5 hours each way over rugged terrain.

They provided us with flashlights for the return hike. About half-way back my battery died, Chelsea had a spare in her pocket, a quick switch and we didn't miss a step.

Yes, you can make this journey by yourself - but why take the risks? When you pay the $100 tour fee, you're not only getting the fun guide showing you the way but more importantly, you're paying for the experience that knows where to walk - and where NOT to walk. :)

On our return hike, we were blessed with a full, rising moon. This coincidence of astronomy was perfect magic to cap our evening.

For an extreme adventure, for a memory of a lifetime, for a check mark on the ol' bucket list, call Cheryl and book a spot for the Poke A Stick lava tour. Very, very, well worth the time and money.

3 Thank Timothy1098
Clear Spring, MD
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Tour Guide Company”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This was a great tour. There are not many reviews here, so I will write a longer one than usual. This company and the event are both five stars.

The company:

Our guide was Sarah, and she did a great job leading our group. The owners and their guides are very skilled, own the land at the entrance/flow, and you will have no worries. I heard Sarah telling another group member how she learned, trained, and did the walk in the dark before ever taking a group and could tell where she was just by the type of lava flow. They keep you safe and are prepared to provide, replacement flashlights when yours dies (and it will, don't be a hero and try to walk in the dark, just yell up the line and you will get a new one ASAP), first aid when injuries occur, and it is likely that someone will fall on the way back (we had two in our group, fatigue and lack of light make it likely) and the lava is sharp. They guides also provide information, and overall safety when around surface flows. Even as the ground creaked around us, I felt safe the entire time.

Note on time. Our tour was almost an hour late/over getting back. This isn't a complaint, and our group moved quickly with very little breaks and we got to the surface flow near sunset, which was perfect timing for photos. You can't control nature, and the lava was much further out than a few weeks earlier, as we walked over the previous flows, only weeks old, to get to it. This is nature, don't plan on an exact schedule. Also, this will likely be your only chance to see lava, I would highly recommend if there is a group vote, you vote to see it all and do anything extra the guides suggest. It will be worth it. When we knew we would be late, Sarah gave me her phone to call my wife/ride, which was a good idea, and the guides are thinking about everyone in the group.

The hike:

It is not easy. The owner, Scott, told us we would probably end up walking 5.25 miles that evening if we wanted to see the surface flow and ocean entry. I have no idea how far we walked, but it was a lot. I am an athletic, but out of shape 38 year old. If I were older, fatter, or more out of shape, this hike would have been very hard (although I was not sore the next day). If you are in shape, no worries, just bring plenty of water as you will drink what they recommend. The walk will not make you winded, but the uneven terrain is tough on the body and shoes (wear good shoes). I took my 10 year old son, he had no problems, and very few complaints, only at the end. He is fit and energetic. Judge for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend kids any younger, and only those who really like to hike (like my son). If not, it could be the most miserable time of your life since there is no ATV, or ride back.

The Lava:

Well, it is awesome. We poked sticks, roasted marsh mellows, and saw a surface flow with multiple streams, it was great. The ocean entry was great as well and we viewed it from the cliff, and very close, no binoculars needed. Up close is personal and way better then the helicopter ride, but it is much more effort and work.