“Delio's Italien Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Delio's Italien Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Jerry Colonna (Delio) was one of the best Italian cooks and restaurant owners ever. We were sorry to see him retire, but the new folks are just as good and just as friendly.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank William H

Clint, Texas
“Are you kidding me?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Pathetic covers it... In it's heyday with the previous owners, this was a must-do eatery. Went there recently for lunch with my mother, right at lunchtime. There was only one other couple in there. No one greeted us, so we sat ourselves. Not a big deal, I gathered they weren't busy so didn't expect someone at the door. We instead should have heeded this sign. The waitress (a young blonde) could not be bothered, did not know the menu, and forgot everything we asked for not once, but twice. The marinara had no, zero, zip flavor. It may have been really OLD. They'd have been better off with a jar of Ragu. We had to beg for bread. Good thing we did, as the portion sizes were too small to call a meal (not that we wanted more, trust me...). The prices are high, the quality is terrible, the service is extremely lame. At one point a middle aged lady came over to us, I could tell she cared and was perhaps the owner? Don't know, but I feel very sorry for her. The only other couple dining there were overcharged to the tune of about fifteen bucks, they spent about ten minutes getting their check straight. It's really sad to see this, that was such an awesome restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debra P
Sierra Vista AZ
“Take-out disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We have been dining at Delio's on and off for years, since we first moved to the area 7+ years ago. We have eaten in and carried out. Most times the food was good and service was fine. We had heard the restaurant was under new ownership, but not sure when that happened.

Just recently we phoned in an order to take out. I ordered the eggplant parmigiana ($11.49) and my husband ordered the fish and chips ($10.99). The menu says the fish comes with cole slaw, which my husband does not like, so I asked if we could substitute a small salad. I was told by the staff person that they don't do cole slaw any more and salad comes with the meal.

When my husband returned home with the food order, we were disappointed on a couple levels. First, the salad was not included....it was left out of the bag. I called, and they apologized, but we did not feel like driving all the way back to the restaurant to pick up a small salad. Hubby said the fish was good. The fries were a bit soggy, probably from getting steamed inside the container with the fish on the trip home.

My eggplant was so disappointing as it is the only thing I've ordered from Delio's through the years. This eggplant was dry and overcooked, and seemed to be old, with a strong smell. The outer rind was too thick and tough to chew, and the flavor was just unappealing. There was minimal cheese on the eggplant, and very little marinara sauce.

The prices are high for what you get. The parmigiana comes with pasta and a piece of bread. The fish (2 pieces) comes with fries and a small salad (which we did not get). But we felt like splurging a bit on a good meal. We noticed a number of good reviews recently, so perhaps we hit a bad night at Delio's. Unfortunately we feel we did not get our money's worth this time. The staff needs to be more vigilant with double checking "to go" orders. Not sure if we will try them again.

• Visited April 2013
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FANTASTIC, FUN, FABULOUS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

WOW, My parents invited me to drive down to Sierra Vista for a wine pairing event a couple of weeks ago. The whole night was such a blast. The chef really was amazing. Food melted in my mouth, it was absolutely delicious. Each course was such a pleasure to eat. The organic wine was paired perfectly. The restaurant was really cool, we had a private room, even a large banner for our very own wine pairing dinner. The room was decorated just for us. I am so glad I decided to join my family and experience this great restaurant in Sierra Vista. Oh, by the way, they have a piano player who was fantastic, fun, and fabulous.

Recommend this restaurant, chef, and musician for anyone looking for a great dining experience in a simply quaint Italian Restaurant. Seriously, it was that good.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Amy332
“The unfortunate downfall of Delios”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

This used to be my favorite Italian food in Sierra Vista, but on our most recent visit, we had a rude awakening that the old Delios left town when new management took over.

To begin, after waiting at the table we were seated at for 15 minutes, one of our friends had to go find a waitress to attend to us. We order drinks and apps (Calamari, hot wings, and mozzarella sticks). The waitress came back several minutes later and proceeded to tell us that they could not make piña coladas anymore because all their mixes had expired. Later in the night when she reassured us that she could get us daquiris, she had to come back and tell us that their ice machine ha broke and they could no longer make mixed drinks... Odd because we revived drinks with ice later that night.

Now to the apps: the wings were all right, the mozzarella sticks were fine though nothing special, but the calamari was less than appetizing. The squid was rubbery an chewy, and the breading was falling off before we had ate any.

Now to our meals. This is going to take a bit. My wife and I each had salads, mine was a house salad with chicken and hers was a chicken ceasar. Our female friend with us also ordered a chicken Caesar salad. Both Chicken Ceasar Salads were unedible. Not only did the salad smell reminiscent of our puppies' feces, but the overall taste of the chicken and dressing was absolutely unpalatable. My wife did not eat her salad and our friend got part way through and had to run to the restroom and began vomiting. My other friend eating with us ordered spaghetti and spicy sausage. He has eaten here before and while he didn't have any serious issues with his meal, he did say that it was not up to par with anything restaurant quality.

The issue of poor service continued through the night, with us having to find a waitress to refill our drinks, and another couple had complained about not even getting their drinks yet, asked for a manager (who never came), and then promptly left the establishment. While our waitress was generally kid and apologetic, she was somewhat unprofessional with her comments about Delios, even referring to certain things there being "ghetto".

A manager came out an spoke with us, not at our request, and we explained the situation. She ended up taking the salads off of our check, and apologized. Regardless, our check was still outrageous.

I am sad to say, I no longer have a go-to Italian place in town. I guess it's Olive Garden in the meantime. It's disappointing to see a place which used to have good eats and decent atmosphere at a reasonable price turn into the poor excuse for a restaurant that it is now.

1 Thank Norsk33