“Bugs in my bed”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Sierra Vista
San Diego, California
“Bugs in my bed”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

My first night felt refreshing. Nice room, nice bed, 2 TVs etc... I returned the next night after work and there was a dead bug on my bed. The bed was made but there was a clearly a dead bug at the foot of my bed. I wiped it away and thought nothing of it and even told myself "This must be the season" I tried falling asleep but had trouble falling asleep. I got out of bed and as I uncovered the blanket to get out of bed, there was a live bug crawling near my waist. I called the front desk to ask to be switched to another room but the male voice that answered the phone told me in the exact words "We are all booked up tonight. I'm sorry about the bug problem but there is not much we can do. Maybe I can send up some bug spray and you could use it to solve the problem. The woman next to your room had the same problem and we moved her to the room next to her but she still had the same problem." While he was suggesting the bug spray he chuckled a bit... not sure how to take that but I didn't find that very nice. I have no intention to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Sierra Vista, AZ anymore. Attached to my review is a pictur eof the bug I found near the air conditioning system. After swatting away the other bugs I could not find them anymore.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank seanmao858
1902manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sierra Vista, responded to this review, 22 September 2010
First of all my sincere apologies for the upset to your stay. Be assured this is not something that is standard to our operation. We do employ a local exterminator on contract and are diligent in our prophylatics regarding pests.
You were correct when you assumed that these bugs (commonly referred to as 'water bugs'), were part of a season known as the Monsoon season. here in Southern Arizona. Since this visit we have taken extra care to ensure that no more of these 'visitors' joined our guests during their stays.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. These reviews help us in our endeavor's toward excellence in every guest's experience.
We hope you'll come back and give us another chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Jersey Shore
Reviewed 9 July 2010

After spending the day in Tombstone, AZ we headed south on our way to Bisbee, AZ. We checked with TripAdvisor and decided to stay in Sierra Vista, AZ for the night! My daughter read the reviews and picked a good one. Rooms were standard size but very nice. Price was under $100 using AAA card. Breakfast was nice The only issue we had was that there wasn't "wireless internet" access, however, they will loan you a wire to connect. Still a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Express here in Sierra Vista. I'm glad that overall you had a good experience and enjoyed our local shopping.
The good news is we now offer wireless internet!! We hope you'll return to enjoy our lovely city, the shopping and take advantage of our new wireless convenience!
virginia
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Traveled to Sierra Vista on Business. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express. Great Hotel, Delicious Breakfast and attentive staff. Worthy of a repeat visit.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Oakland, Ca
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I wouldn't give this hotel one star. I complained several times to the front desk regarding the noise from the children in the suite above me. On my last night I was told if the noise was bothering me that I had to move rooms, after I had already been there for 2 nights. When the front desk and manager could not come up with a better solution, I contacted Customer Relations from my room. They informed me that the guest above me were being moved.

About 30 minutes later, my ACTIVE DUTY husband and I decided to run and get some food. On our way out we were stopped by the manager who informed us that the police were on their way. The manager claims, that I asked for the police to come. I never did. After explaining the situation in front of the police officers, I was informed by the manager, that she no longer wanted me as a guest in "her" hotel, and asked me to leave at 10:00pm. I asked why, and she explained that this was private property, and that I have to go. I was then escorted to my room by the officers, like I was a criminal. They stood there and waited on us to pack up. My husband had clothes in the wash. With a police escort he got his wet clothes put them in a plastic bag and we were escorted out. They even took our info to place a Do Not Trespass against us.

Every hotel in the surrounding area was sold out. We ended up driving to Tucson, at 11pm to check into a different hotel, paid twice the stay, and still had to get up and drive to Phoenix for a 5am flight.

All in all this hotel is NOT MILITARY friendly, and as a black woman, I felt that they would have never kicked a white family out in the middle of the night. Did I mention I had a dog with me? I wouldn't stay here if my life depended on it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank armysweet
Reviewed 26 February 2010

we were in town for a funeral and all of our out of town family stayed there. it was nice. we enjoyed our stay

Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Hawaii
Reviewed 30 December 2009

The Holiday Inn Express was (is) an acceptable property, and I would stay there again if (and that's a big IF) I ever go back to Sierra Vista. The night manager was exceptional; on-the-ball she provided me with my Priority Club points and two (2) bottles of water. The rooms are adequate, but remind me of a Super 8--thin walls, cheap looking fixtures, and my bedside lights were inoperable. In-room internet must be accessed through a Cat-5 cable, but there is supposedly free internet in common areas. Breakfast was hot and adequate. Coffee urns were available in breezeway near lobby. Unfortunately, I left my Sonicare toothbrush behind in the room. Despite contacting the hotel, and they promised to send the brush to me, I have yet to receive it. That's nothing more than a small irritant. I would be willing to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
PLYMOUTH, VA
Reviewed 3 September 2009

What a nice place! In town, but not in the middle of town. Close to the movies and you can walk to a few good restaurants and the shopping mall. Great patio with a grill and a fantastic view of the nearby mountains.
Staff was friendly and efficient. Breakfast ladies really made me forget I wasn't at home!

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business