“The only reason they exist”

Windemere Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Sierra Vista
A TripAdvisor Member
“The only reason they exist”
Reviewed 21 July 2004

The ONLY reason The Windemere continues to exist is because of the military sending TDY and PCS personnel there and there is no temp housing readily available. Oh, and because they accept dogs. BIG dogs. Dogs that bark all night while their owner is down in the bar. Dogs that rip the ROOM apart. Rooms with moldy, mildewy SHOWERS. Showers that have such low water pressure.... well, you get the idea. On the up side, the cleaning staff is friendly. Not the front desk staff, but they have some very sweet housekeepers employed there. I think this is their only redeeming quality. If I had family coming to stay, I would put them up at Sierra Suites or the BW. This isn't even a good place for their 'free' breakfast that they charge you for it, and wait to see if you'll dispute it. If you don't, you lose alot of $$$ stick to other lodging if coming to visit beautiful Sierra Vista, Az.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 16 June 2004

I have been to Sierra Vista on business, scores of times, in the past 20 years and although the Windemere is collectively...... not great...... it stands out above its contemporaries in this city where almost ZERO customer service in all areas and at every turn is the norm. Most domestic or minimum wage workers come from the South, with Mexico 28 miles down the road, guess where the South is! However, the attitude of.... "that is just the way it is"...... being stuck in the only civilized community south of Tucson, where you really don't have to bar your door and sleep armed, brings with it a very very low standard by the collective minimum wage earner. So what will you do if the price of gasoline is $2.35 a gallon in Sierra Vista, and only $2.02 a gallon in Tucson, .... drive 140 miles to fill up? That is the standard in Sierra Vista, so the Windemere basically exceeds the low Sierra Vista standard in that regard, anywhere else, except for Leavenworth Kansas or perhaps Texas border towns, this hotel would be closed, either through its lack of customers or the board of health. City corruption is rife, inspectors and related regulatory people are in someone's pocket. Don't go barefoot in this hotel...... Scorpions really hurt....

Art LeBlanc...

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 May 2004

Windemere Hotel.....Our experience of 1 night... We checked in at the smelly lobby, walked down a hall that had...LEAVES scattered across the discolored carpet... with a bird cawing at us...the room had seen a better day. A "heater/air conditioner" that rattled. The refrigerator was noisy. When we checked out the next day and saw the same dishes we saw the previous afternoon in the hallway. Breakfast was the only high point.

Now Sierra Suites now there is a hotel!

I am fourteen.

• Stayed April 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Sierra Vista hotels

Reviewed 26 April 2004

I arranged my travel with the Company Travel Office - have strongly advised them not to refer this hotel in the future. I stayed at this hotel because my son and daughter-in-law honeymooned there and said it was nice (but that was May 1995). Was quaranteed $69 per nite (tax included) - was charged $83.67. Arrived April 22nd at 12:20 pm and left very early April 25th. On check-in, was told about full COMPLIMENTARY breakfast. I was to tell the restaurant host/hostess that I was a lodger (I showed my rrom key unpon entry). Room was okay - but room service did not remove the same discarded dinner trays from 4 different rooms for 2 full days. Left hotel April 25th around 3 AM. Checked receipt and found I was charged $9.74 for the FREE breakfast on Apr 22nd (How did I have breakfast at their restaurant when I was IN FLIGHT on United?). Soooooo - from a guaranteed quote of $207 (tax included) to a bill of $260.75 is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I just know when I go out for another visit in December, I plan to stay at the Best Western across the street or the Fairmont. No matter what, pleeeeeeeeeeease make arrangements elsewhere!!!!!!!!!! You will not regret staying somewhere else - even the Motel 6 looked better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2004

I was in Sierra Vista on a business / vacation trip March 17 through the 19th. After going to 10 other hotels I finally found a room at this hotel.Other hotels just sent me on my way.The Windemere put me in a parlor room with a rollaway bed (better than sleeping in my car) at a very large discount. Than for the next two nights I had a regular room at a lower rate for me inconvenience.I wonder why the auther of the Worst Ever review continued his stay there instead staying at the fort in a barracks or in a tent. Was not fair to vacationers that the convention at the Fort used up all hotel spaces. The pool area is nice.
I would have used the pool if it was a heated pool as most hotels in that area have.On the morning I left there was a family in the pool, but the outside temp.of 84 degrees was not long enough this time of year to heat the pool and heating pools helps for evening swimming.Rooms and service was average.They did go out of their way to make room for me. Thank You

Washington D.C
Reviewed 22 March 2004

I recently visited the base at Fort Huachuca for work. I stayed at The Windemere hotel and it was by far the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms we dirty, the bathrooms are old and run down and the cleaning staff stole from my room. I would severely advise against staying in this dump, or risk ruining your time at a substandard establishment.

3 Thank GoHokies5
Reviewed 11 February 2004

Recently I visited my son in the Army and thought that I was renting in a first rate hotel to only find out I was in the biggest dump I ever saw! The bathroom floors are black and hair all over the place. How would you like personal hair from someone else on the tray that your cups are on? Do not rent at this hotel unless you are prepared to do a cleaning yourself!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member