“Rooms were good”

Motel 6 Sierra Vista - Fort Huachuca
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Sierra Vista
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed here in May for a school field trip based on it's location. Not that far from the interstate and easy to get to.

The rooms were surprisingly good. The carpet and furnishings were clean and looked like it just got updated. The bed was fine. The bathroom needed some updating--the shower/tub was showing some wear and the walls needed to be repainted. It's hard to complain when we were paying $38/night. The rooms came with a microwave and refrigerator too.

The exterior of the hotel needed some help--the sidewalks were cracked and the building looks like it could use a new coat of paint. The steps on the outdoor stairs were not level, so could be a hazard if you're not paying attention going up and down the stairs.

The complimentary breakfast was mainly cereal, toast, and a waffle maker. There was some fruit. The coffee REALLY needed some help. Good thing there's a microwave and coffee maker in the room--you can make your own. There is a self service water dispenser that sells water by the gallon across the street(you need to bring your own container). This is great if you're a tea drinker.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My brother drove all the way from Washington state for a visit and stayed one night in Motel 6, Sierra Vista, AZ. He had asked for a non smoking room and got one that smelled like an ashtray. The next morning he called me and said he had found a bug crawling accross the bed. I work for a pest control company so I got into my truck and drove over there. I picked up the mattress and found a bed bug right away. I put it into a cup and took it to the front office and informed them that theyhad a problem. The girl at the desk said she would inform the manager. My brother had to launder all of his clothes and I treated his bags, telling him to also place everything into plastic bags and place them into the direct sunlight to kill any eggs that may have been missed. I came back an hour or so later and peeked into the room and two guys were taking the bed apart. Great, they were going to move the old bed out and bring in another one? That doesn't get rid of the problem. My advice is to stay the hell away from this dump. They apparently don't want to spend the money to take care of the problem.

Room Tip: Run away! Stay elsewhere! You'll get bugs to take home!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Have stayed here twice. Even though I had complained about being sprayed by the toilet when you flushed I booked a room the night of March 24 because my grandson was being deployed on the 25th and I was traveling with my dog. Well nothing had been done. They seem to care more about saving water than they do about deluted urine and feces being sprayed on the floor and on the walls and on the customers. YUKK! They don't flip their mattresses either so you sleep sliding down a hill. Heard people going up the stairs to the upper floor also. When grandson returns will stay some place else. Not the worst Motel 6. It's the 2nd worst. The worst is west side of El Paso.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2010

TLDR Version: THE MANAGER IS AN ANGRY MAN WHO WILL FIND ANY REASON TO KICK YOU OUT JUST BECAUSE HE FEELS LIKE IT!

Full version:
Our family moved here due to my husband being stationed at Fort Huachuca. Anyone who knows anything about military housing will know that there is always a wait. Our wait? 38 days. We stayed in the Suburban Extended Stay for the first 10 days. It was wonderful and we hoped to stay longer but there was no availability after our initial 10 day reservation. (We didn't know we'd need 38 days until after we'd arrived.) Most of the hotels here are often overbooked on and off because of the nearby military base. My husband and I understand that but we had to have someplace within Sierra Vista to stay... we were down to 2 options: Super 8 and Motel 6.

We should have gone to Super 8.

When we initially entered our room it was filthy. White cat/dog hair was everywhere and it was very obvious because of the bright blue carpeting. The room smelled musty as if it hadn't been dusted properly in months. There was hair in the bathroom sink (my husband didn't tell me about this until the next day.) and the sheets didn't seem to have been changed since the last person who stayed. We contemplating staying that night only and then finding another place to go. To make matters worse our 18 month old son seemed to be doing poorly because of all the animal hair. It was a very hard night. :(

The next day one of the head housekeepers came by and asked if we needed anything. I explained our complaints and he was more than happy to get up as much dog hair as he could. He was very polite and more than happy to give us whatever we needed to make our stay more comfortable.

The next day an entirely different housekeeper came by. She seemed stressed most days but she did her job without complaint. When I asked about the bathroom getting cleaned (due to the hair) she then informed me that it was "company policy that they not enter the rooms while we are inside" (which makes no sense. I'm supposed to just get dressed and pack up myself and my children and do what whenever they decide to come around to clean my room? I didn't even have a vehicle to go anywhere!) BUT she said she could pop in and give it a quick wipe down. So she did.

Every day housekeeping came to our room. EVERY DAY! Most days they had no problem coming in our room to clean despite the "policy". We did our best to conserve towels and tried to arrange full service days on days we could easily be out of the room while giving them time to do their job. Several days I simply had to decline service. (Many of which they told me to "call down to the front desk and tell them I didn't want service" which was SO strange to me. Why should I call the front desk and tell them when I just told you?)

One day we entered our room only to encounter an awful smell. It was a heavy scent like acetone or some cleaner. We asked the head housekeeper what it might be (thinking it was maybe a new housekeeper that had mixed up bathroom cleaners and created fumes) and he then informed me that the shower in the room below us was broken and that they were fixing it so the fumes were from some sort of sealant they had used. They offered to move us or to put a machine in our room that could slowly evaporate the smell while we went to do something else for a while. We decided to do that as it seemed silly to inconvenience the hotel by taking up another room and leaving another dirty room unoccupied. (HAH) Other than the occasional odd event (like the neighbor playing "comfortably numb" rather tellingly and loudly or someone smoking on the walkway right outside a line of non-smoking rooms.) the stay went well and there were no indicators that they had a problem with us staying.

Then came the last week of our stay. I had just paid for the final week and had arranged to be out of the room for a few hours so that housekeeping could do a full service. (And he did an excellent job. I even made a point to thank him.) The next day a housekeeper came by. I'd only seen this young man once prior. (The day before. He was not the one who cleaned my room.) I was not feeling well and was only partially clothed as I had still been sleeping so I remained under the bed covers. He asked if I needed service and I said that he could take the trash out if he wanted but otherwise we were fine. He then proceeded to tell me about the policy of how he cannot enter the room and offered for me to bring him the trash and he would give me liners. I simply said that I didn't need service then (it really wasn't that big of a deal and I certainly wasn't getting up halfway dressed to get him the trash.) and he said that was fine and left.

The next thing I knew the management was there banging on the door and screaming as if he were the police. I called out that it would be "just a moment" and got up to get dressed (even though I REALLY wish I could have just laid back down. I felt horrible.) before I could even pass the end of the bed to get my clothing he again banged on the door bellowing out "MANAGER!" and I again said "just a moment!" louder, this time, thinking he may not have heard me. I dressed and opened the door to meet a man who already seemed rather angry and he proceeded to explain the policy to me, exactly as the housekeeper had before. Nothing else. Just the same rote policy. No direction. Not a "so if you want your trash removed please give it to me now." or "I just want to make sure this is clear, have a nice day." just... the policy. Okay. I get it. I got it then. I informed him that I understood and he again began to recite the policy and I again said I understood and then said how I didn't even understand why he was there. I didn't complain to the housekeeper. I didn't yell at him or say anything nasty to him. I just chose NOT to inconvenience myself in order to have a little trash thrown out. Wasn't that my choice as the customer?

Apparently not. The manager again began to recite the policy and I said that I understood and had no problem with the policy. I wasn't rude to his housekeeper and had not argued with him. I then said that now we were arguing (which was rather unfortunate) because he was here just repeating this policy with no real reason. He then proceeded to get very angry and yell "That's it! You're evicted! You have 20 minutes to get your things and get out!" I was surprised, of course, and angry and said that was fine but I wanted a refund of my money for the days I hadn't yet stayed. He proceeded to say (and I quote) "Bull @$!#! You'll get what's coming to you!" and march off angrily. At this I was more than a little angry myself and yelled back at him that this was no way to treat a customer who had paid nearly $1000 to stay in their motel.

I was left to pack up my things and get out with my 2 small children in 91 degree weather that felt like (according to Real Feel) 102!

While packing he proceeded to come back to inform me that after I got my things out I should "come back to the front desk for a refund" as if nothing had happened and I was the one who'd requested to leave!

Totally crude management. I've worked in hotels and been in management and I would NEVER treat a customer so poorly!

I did nothing illegal. I did nothing wrong. I merely didn't understand why the manager was there to argue with me about the policy.

Oh yeah... and I didn't want my trash removed anymore. Blasphemy!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank justagirl83
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Not only was the place stinky and filthy, the management was ruder than I've ever experienced. I was called in the room and rudely kicked out for asking for a non-smoking room by the manager. A few minutes earlier the desk attendant claimed he had informed me it was a Smoking room, and there were no more NS rooms available, which was not true. He was distracted by the police there at the time (two squad cars), and there were many very young adults (older teens) loitering around smoking cigarettes. My GF encountered a pair of women's panties on the ground when stepping out of the car in the parking lot, which should have told us something right there. Had to stay elsewhere since management wouldn't let us stay (even tho' willing, since wiped out) after asking for NS room. We were told the cops would come to take us away if we didn't take our money and leave ASAP. I've traveled around the world, am in the travel business, and NEVER even heard of anything like this. Worst EVER!!!!!
When I went down to the office to be insulted by a scruffy middle-aged man claiming to be the manager but who refused to ID himself, an African American couple was there to complain their belongings were removed from their room and the beds stripped while they were gone! When they asked Why? the manager yelled at them and told them to shut up and wait their turn (he wasn't done insulting ME). Again, WORST EVER!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AZhummingbird
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We asked for a non smoking room, I am pregnant and the small makes me sick. We of course got a smoking room-the smell was so bad that I couldn`t stay. We opened windows,everything and I just couldn`t take it. After arguing with the desk clerk they gave us a new room. The 2nd room they gave us a key to someone elses room and we walked right in with them in there. Our 3rd room was a handicapped room, immediately after walking in it smelled like very strong urine. We complained and they said thats what their carpet shampoo smells like??? If that were the case I think I`d use another brand. After arguing for over an hour they gave our money back and we stayed down the street at the Western Motel which was much nicer and clean! I will never attempt to stay at another Motel 6 no matter where it is again. Yuck!

4  Thank 4myopinion2
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Checked in Thankgsiving Day after cross country flight to PHX, then the 3 hour drive to Sierra Vista. The clerk charged me a different amount than my reservation thru Motel6.com stating she never heard of them having different amounts than they did. AAA/Military/and others can us the CorporatePlus/ID Number on the website for a discount...kinda like a coupon code. But the Sierra Vista location didn't want to honor it. After standing there for 15 minutes waiting for her to call her manager (left voice mail) and calling other people-who didn't answer the phone I took a Motel 6 booklet and said I'll just call corporate and let them know their guest is in the lobby and cannot be checked in. She gave me room keys and said she'd straighten it out later.

I came back, later, and after 20 more minutes of waiting they finally printed my bill w/ even a better rate...perhaps for my troubles.

The internet is choppy and got extrememly slow on the 3rd night to where I couldn't use it as after 15 minutes of a page trying to load- just give up....but they won't refund the internet fee for the day.

Traffic is loud, you can hear people talk all hours of the night, as the walls are paper thin.

Was cheap and that's what I needed in this economy.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family