“Sierra Suites Fan”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Sierra Vista
Alaska
“Sierra Suites Fan”
Reviewed 26 January 2008

This was our third stay at Sierra Suites and another great one. I've always been pleased with the rooms and service.
This time we had a double queen..the room was big! The beds were comfortable, plus we discovered they'd provided eight pillows. My biggest pet peeve with hotels is having to ask for extra pillows. Very thoughtful of Sierra Suites to have them in the room without asking. We had plenty of towels too!
Overall every staff member we came across was smiling, friendly and efficient. The breakfast was good..they have a very nice area for this. Their guest computer was also very welcome. My only regret was not bringing our swimsuits..the hot tub looked so inviting!
We're sure to be back at the hotel next time we're in town.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable in a nice setting
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank ZonaTripper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Iowa
Reviewed 9 January 2008

I booked rooms at Sierra Suites after reading the reviews. Unfortunatly my experience was very poor and want others to know. The second night there I placed my request for a wake up call, and the next morning, non came. After calling the front desk and hearing lots of "sorry ", I was assured the bill would be adjusted (I missed morning meetings). It has been three weeks and all I have received are excuses and reasons that "they are not responsible". The management was of little help. I will not stay there again. I value my wake up calls, and good service.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank tripforwork
mbruckler, on behalf of General Manager, Gaylene Wendle at Sierra Suites, responded to this review, 10 January 2008
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you can see from the other reviews, we do work very hard to provide excellent service.
We've reviewed our records on your behalf and we show connecting rooms being booked and a wake-up call for one of the rooms being placed on the 2nd day of your stay. Our automated wake-up system shows that it tried to place the call 3 times - but the phone line was busy (or off the hook). That being said, I'm sure that there is a margin for technical (and operational error) with an automated system. For that reason we also provide in-room alarm clocks as a second option to the automated wake-up call.
We certainly empathize with how disappointing and frustrating it is to wakeup late and miss meetings. It can definitely have a negative one's stay, and we certainly apologize that this occurred.
We do hope that you'll reconsider staying with us on your next visit and allowing us to prove our dedication to excellent guest service.
Warm regards,
Gaylene Wendle
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 7 January 2008

Based on reviews here, we chose this hotel. After driving around town, we decided we had the best place in the area.

Everything about our experience was pleasant. The staff were very friendly. The continental breakfast was plenty filling, and the set-up of the dining area was conducive to being social or spending some time with the morning paper.

Our room was very clean, and the bed was fairly comfortable. I'm always picky about the bed, and this one was fine. The air conditioner unit didn't have a bad smell (as we've experienced in many hotels), which was a big plus.

I hope never to return to Sierra Vista, the city, because I really can't think of anything worth going there for (our son was at Ft. Huachuca, the only reason we were there). But if, God forbid, I have to... at least I know I'll have a decent place to stay!

• Liked — Cleanliness; Proximity to Ft. Huachuca
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scrapsuzy
wisconsin
Reviewed 27 December 2007

We traveled to Sierra Vista for a wedding. The staff was friendly . We enjoyed the free breakfast every morning and then were off for the day. The beds were not the most comfortable, but for our 4 night stay , the price and location worked well for us. We had a room in the back and it was quiet and uneventful.
The continental breakfast is in a separate area from the lobby which is nice. Rooms were good size , but we didn't spend much time in them.
Hope this is helpful.

Stayed November 2007
Misty from Wisconsin -
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive to provide outstanding service to all guests who visit. You had noted an issue with the beds. We are assuming you stayed ina double queen room, as all of our other beds are new within the last year. We are, however, replacing the remainder of the double queen beds next month - ensuring that every bed in the hotel is new and comfortable. We look forward to your next visit.
Spearfish, South Dakota
Reviewed 8 September 2007

I can't wait to return to this hotel. Our stay did start on a bad note when we were told that they did not have the room we had booked with two beds (disadvantage to online booking), but the front desk person was very apologetic, and tried everything she could to find us another room. The atmosphere at this hotel is wonderful, being from the northeast we really appreciated the southwest feel in the open courtyards and the welcoming lobby. We were on a budget and feel like this hotel was well worth the affordable price, it deserves at least a three star rating. The rooms were clean, had all amenities, they had a nice continental breakfast, and the staff was extremely friendly. Biggest plus is the delicious mexican restaurant next door ( walking distance is a plus after a few margaritas!) I would defintely stay here again!

• Liked — friendly staff, southwest atmosphere
  • Disliked — not getting the room we reserved
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
Dallas
Reviewed 12 August 2007

Some years ago, I had an extended stay at this hotel and was looking forward to another extended stay. However, the hotel is now under new management.

Here is the problem I experienced with them:

The stay was originally reserved for several months. I contacted the hotel directly by phone to inquire about their payment policies and was told that they like to put an authorization on a card for a period of time at the start of the stay and later charge it at the end of the week. I explained to them that this would be a problem since I was using a debit card, and they agreed to charge on a day-by-day basis and told me that they would note this in the reservation. I emphasized that if this couldn't be done, it would be necessary to simply cancel the extended reservation. They agreed.

Upon arrival this point was repeated an explicitly confirmed by the desk clerk. The next morning we confirmed it with both the guest service manager and the general manager--just to be certain.

Of course, they went ahead and took out an authorization on the debit card for a whole week in addition to two weekend days--about $700. When I discovered this, I brought the problem to the attention of the desk clerk who referred me to the guest manager who denied that the day before we had explicitly agreed to the day-by-day charge and who then obfuscated and dissembled. The general manager also adopted the same tactic--and this was after they were paid for the two days up to that time. In fact, even when I checked out at that time with a paid bill, they refused even to drop the authorization with my bank when requested (and after dodging calls and not responding to messages left on their answering machine.)

Management's actions went well beyond failing to correct a mistake, they seemed to go out of their way to aggravate the situation. Never did they apologize for their actions.

Additionally, the room was dank, smelly, and the light was broken.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank armyOfficer
SierraVistaSuites, General Manager at Sierra Suites, responded to this review, 27 September 2007
Dear 'Bad Management' - as the General Manager of the Sierra Suites, I would like to sincerely apologize again for the problem that you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that we were not 'ignoring' your phone calls and we apologize if it seemed so.

In regards to the authorization, please allow me to explain that it is the hotel industry policy to receive an authorization for the length of each guest's stay at check-in. For our long term guests we do the authorization for one week at a time and ask that they in turn pay on their account each week and we then do another authorization. Guests using debit cards for payment will occasionally do a cash deposit to avoid the authorization/hold on their account. Either way, we do request monies, as a standard, to be authorized/held to ensure payment at check out.

OUr property management system automatically increases authorized dollar amounts for the balance of each guests stay during the night audit-- this is an automated process. Unfortunatly, in this case, the reservation had been changed to 7 days (as opposed to daily -- to ensure room availability during a very busy time) -- the authorization got increased for the additional days in error. I did contact the bank after we spoke and we were told that the 'lift' of the authorization would take 2-3 days.. unfortunately there was nothing we could do to persuade them to release the hold earlier.

We attempted to explain this during your stay and apologize, but we realize how frustrating this can be, and we were certainly frustrated as well -- with ourselves for the automated error and with the banks for not working with us to release the funds earlier.
Please know that we try to address all guest concerns when they are brought to our attention, prior to departure. Know that you can always contact me, the General Manager, to ensure that you are happy with your accommodations and level of service.

Warm regards,
Gaylene Wendle
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 18 May 2007

Excellent value. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff friendly. It was in a back section away from the main street and hence very quiet. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed May 2007
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Tombstone
Holiday Inn Express Sierra Vista

Been to Sierra Suites? Share your experiences!