“Local, that's all”

Denmead Golf Driving Range
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Denmead
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This is my local range, it's very basic with nobody manning the range. The owner occasionally shows up, but isn't overly open for a chat... Shame as I quite like the course!

5  Thank Dan W

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'm sorry to say that after a year or so of using the range, I will not be going back.

To cut a long story short I was accused of stealing by the owner(having just retrieved one golf ball which I'd mishit a few feet away).

He clearly has anger management issues and I've never in all my life met someone as rude and irrational. Needless to say there are better and more economical facilities elsewhere and after my "experience" I will certainly not be returning again.

33  Thank 813LegalEagle813
j4jane, Owner at Denmead Golf Driving Range, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I am the wife of the owner of this range. When I spoke to my husband about this review he said the person who wrote it was out on the grass picking up balls. When my husband told him that was unacceptable he apologised several times and said "I quite understand, you must get all sorts of riff raff here to deal with".
If all the reveiws on this site are read you will see a reoccurring pattern.Some people go out onto the grass, which they are clearly asked not to do for saftey reasons, they take exception to being told they are breaking the conditions of use of the range, they go home and write a nasty review. Damaging for a small family business who are just trying to provide a basic golf practice facility.
Walking out onto the grass and picking up balls to hit, apart from being dangerous, is like walking into a shop and using/eating something without paying for it. Should we ignore such behaviour?
We have to accept we can't please all the people all the time but as a recent reviewer has pointed out, anyone using the facility and behaves correctly has a pleasant time. We sincerely want golfers of all ages and standards to enjoy our beautiful surroundings, we don't like having to moan at people, why would we?

Reviewed 14 June 2014

After visiting a couple of times for the very first time, I had an overall pleasent experience. The road leading to the range is bumpy and long however if thats what people moan at these days................ I won't go on. I will say it is bearable if you keep to the speed limit and drive safely. It is in a rural location your not going to get perfect tarmac roads im affraid.

The range is overall in clean condition, the ball machine is a coin operated type and sometimes eats your money. However after a small wait... yes it is polite to wait for someone to finish what they are doing. I recieved my money back after explaining my issue with the staff member on duty.

Overall it is kept to an acceptable standard, it could be improved but it does what it says on the tin.

There are limited staff on duty so you just get on, common sense says you read signs and obey them. Walking onto the green etc is not allowed there is a sign that states that, so no wonder the above reviewer got and earful and accused.

As a beginner to the sport my shot was terrible lol, however the gentleman who was on duty was eccentric and to the wrong person may come across rude however I found him to be very helpful and offered very sound advise on my shot.

The price is now 7 pound for 100 balls, which is poor compared to other ranges I have been on (9 pound for 400 with breakfast at others) however that was an offer online. It is not bad compared to the other local ranges for a standard 100 balls without extras they couldn't offer anyway as there are no real facilities here. You need to remeber thou it is just a driving range attached to a golf course the main facilities are in the golf course.

Overall the range was a good experience, it could do with updating but it is not shabby. It is not going to win an awards but it is clean and offers good solid equipment to practice. Staff were eccentric but helpful. I would happily come again.

2  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Worst golf experience out of all the ones we've played at, rude staff basically. The argumentative and self obsessed millionaire owner will happily piddle on any one trying to have a nice day out here.

Seriously, this is as bad as it can get golf wise: Stay away.

37  Thank Graham Y
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have been using this range for five or so years and enjoy the place immensely. I think the potholes etc is only to be expected given the location and the rural feel is what makes it stand out. It is so much nicer to visit than the cattle market ranges and £6 for 100 balls is excellent value. The sad thing is that a previous review stating that the owner is ignorant, egotistical and patronising is putting it mild.
I visited on a warm October morning and was there alone, bliss. I was chipping to a net some 15yds away when a ball that appeared to go in didn't hit the net, I wondered if there was a hole near to the edge, I went to have a look and when I got there, there was a hole and my curiosity was satisfied. As I began to walk back I heard "What are you doing on the grass"? The owner was sat in a nearby field spying on me. I went back and carried on. He then came and stood behind me as I continued, after a while I said hello and he said, "Honest people don't walk on the grass". I explained that I was playing a mental game and wanted to know if the ball did go inside the ring or not and explained there was indeed a small hole near the right hand rim. I would say any reasonable person would say, Sorry I called you a thief, could you please keep off the grass and I would say yes I will.
But no, He went off on a rant telling me that he is a scratch golfer and that I don't know anything about the game, ( I play off 5). He then said it takes 35 minutes to hit a hundred balls and the fact that I still had some after 40 minutes means I've been stealing them. I explained that I had been working on something new and was taking my time, is that not what the range is for? Rant number two went on for ever and I sad, Listen mate, it's a lovely day and I wasn't hurting a soul and you have come and ruined my day, please let me finish my balls and I will leave and not come back. He then took my bucket of balls and I said I want to finish them, he yelled at the top of his voice "Get off of MY range" and promptly went into rant number three. This time telling me that he is a multi millionaire and doesn't need me on his range, he then said you are a builder for God's sake, who drives a truck, get off my property. He said when you leave I will give you your £6 back. I replied, as an honest person, I have finished one bucket so he only needs to give me £4. As I left he offered me £3. I said if you are that desperate keep the money. His parting shot was, I have looked at the balls in the bucket and one of them has mud on so you must of got it off the range. I then said if you are accusing me I will have my money back, he refused, annoyed I picked up my bucket of balls and threw them out the front onto the grass and he said I am calling the police. I told him to get some counselling and I left.
Sadly this is not the first time he has behaved like this, he goes round picking on people out of his own paranoia and ruins their experience. He has done it to me before, and others also. it is pointless defending this comment, you need to apologise and change, but that ain't gonna happen with someone like that. As a businessman myself I understand the importance of goog customer service, it's as if this guy wants to ruin his own business, no wonder it was empty.

45  Thank Paul W