“Very pleasant visit”

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Very pleasant visit”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have visited Sonoita once, more than ten years ago. I remembered driving to a vineyard in the middle of nowhere and eating lunch in a little restaurant which was probably the only one or two in town.
Somehow, on this trip things look so different. I do not remember the rolling hills and the grassland that is so reminiscent of Sonoma or even Tuscany. Who would have guessed there is a place like that in the deserts of AZ. There are a lot more nice houses on those hills than before.
I did not use a GPS thinking that googling the address is good enough. We did make a wrong turn but had no problem finding the place after that. We were greeted by Karyl and she told us about her Danish heritage how that explained she was blonde, tall and have those crystal blue eyes ( I think, I was too shy to stare). She said she met her husband while both were on duty in the middle east. She is a very pleasant lady and she obviously love what she is doing very much.
My wife and I had the 5 wine tasting with the mugs and Gluhwein from an online deal. I had the Albarino, Karyl's Kreation, Karyl's Kuvee, Takara Rose and White Port Berry. They were all very good as described in the menu except for the Berry. I was expecting fresh berry but Karyl did explain to me fresh berry cannot be used as it would have required preservative and lots of complexity. I had a sip of my wife's Caramel desert wine and it tasted much better. I liked the Karyl's Kreation very much. It is full bodied, on the light side and the oak and chocolate combined well. I can imagine this would be an excellent wine to go with red meat and I bought a bottle for such an occasion. The Gluhwein was a little too sweet for my liking. They were served lukewarm with pumpkin or zucchini bread. The breads themselves were pretty good.
Overall the wine was good and the visit was very pleasant. I will definitely drop by to see Karyl if I wind up in that neck of the woods again.

Visited October 2013

Scottsdale, Az.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Wine, Great Story”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Have some very unique and interesting wines. Have great dry and desert wines. Husband and wife owners are both veterans (husband is still serving) and have a great story to tell about the changes and sacrifices they have had to make in their lives in order to follow their passion.

Visited September 2013
Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of the best Wineries in Arizona - A Must Visit”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

When you come to Sonoita be sure to visit Wilhelm Family Vineyards. Their wine maker Karyl has a real talent for creating unique and delicious wines. She has a crisp "citrusy" Albarino and and crisp unoaked Chardonay. When in comes to medium and full bodied reds her Karyl's Kreation is my favorite. Its a Bordeaux style blend with a unique chocolate aroma but a traditional dry full bodied taste. She also makes a Syrah, Tempranillo Blend, and a fabulous Rhone style blend. For those who prefer sweeter wines, she has two simi-sweet Sangrias, a traditional red and citrus, and white peach. She also desert wines that knock peoples socks off. She has a traditional white port and a traditional red port, but she also has several that are flavored with natural essences. Those flavored port include white chocolate strawberry, chocolate caramel and mocha. Even a chocolate mint that reminds me of an Andes Mint in a glass.

Here tasting room is located right at her winery and you'll be greeted either by Karyl or a member or her friendly staff ready to help you with your tasting selection. She also has an adorable friendly and gentle Weimaraner named Chancelor and his puppy girl that welcomes every one who comes to the door.

The Winery hosts several special events through out the year including the Patriot Salute around Veteran's day. That events celebrates the release of their annual Patriot Salute wine and also raises funds for the Wounded Warrior Project. The winery welcomes families and the kids often enjoy playing with the dog while their parents enjoy the wine.

Visited July 2013
Casa Grande, Arizona
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wine asting Trip”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Nice little familt winery! GREAT customer service & great wines to enjoy. We were greated promptly & answered all questions.

Visited July 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun experience, friendly staff!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went there on a wednesday, not knowing they were closed. It was Karyl's day off, but she was very pleasant and opened just for us. We spent quite awhile chatting with her and trying all the wines. I'll definitely be back again!! I highly suggest checking it out :)

Visited June 2013