“Very disappointed”

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Wine Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I tried this place for lunch . My chicken salad was awful! It was all dark meat with chunks of cartilage and bone. I left most of it. Seafood soup was tasty but served lukewarm . My husband liked his pork torta. We tried the bread pudding for dessert since I didn't eat most of my chicken salad. It was served cold also and overly sweet. It was a below average lunch for two for $73. We won't go back.

OverlandTrout, Owner at Overland Trout, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Hi Carol W,
Just a quick note to say thank you for your feedback. Being open just over two months now we're constantly looking to improve. I'm very sorry we failed to meet your expectations. I'd hope you would consider giving us another try. Our lunch menu has many new items since you visited, and we source as much as possible locally, and prepare everything from scratch in house. I believe we could exceed your expectations in the future, given another chance.
Greg

Reviewed 1 November 2013

A very surprising new eatery in beautiful downtown Sonoita...about an easy and scenic hour's drive from Tucson, Overland Trout is a cozy and friendly oasis in the high desert. With an unusual menu with limited but tasty offerings at lunch, we look forward to trying the dinner hour as well. Claiming fresh and locally sourced ingredients, this sparkling clean restaurant will hopefully survive as the snow birds descend on southern AZ.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This long-awaited restaurant definitely delivers. How refreshing to once again have food for gastronomes in Sonoita. The staff is well-trained and professional and the food is exquisitely and beautifully prepared. My husband and I split the trout appetizer platter and cheese board. What a perfectly blended medley of flavors! I ended with the squash soup, featuring two tiny meatballs of pork perfection.
Cocktails were delectable as well, crafted by a true mixologist.
We appreciate the freshness of the food, as well as the fact that local wines, meat, and produce are used.
We can add this to our list of favorites.

1  Thank Julesausten
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The much anticipated arrival of a new gourmet restaurant in Sonoita was very disappointing and it can only be hoped that the soft opening night was a learning experience that will guide the management to meet the customers' expectations. Four of us drove from Tucson (1 hour drive) looking forward to a special evening.

We had a 5:30 p.m. reservation and were seated immediately on the front porch by a cheerful hostess. We were pleased with the inventive menu. We ordered wine, which arrived at 6 p.m.. At 6:30, we were brought some biscuits with a butter spread; however, we had no utensils or plates. The waitress did not return so we went inside to request some. We received small plates and a knife. The salads were delivered at 6:50. We again had to request napkins and eating utensils. At first, we thought that they had forgotten the eggplant in the tomato/eggplant salad, but the eggplant was formed into a few fried croutons. The butternut squash soup was very good.

At 7:30p we had not received our meal and the restaurant was now packed so we indicated that we were prepared to leave. WIthin two minutes our meals were delivered and it appeared the plates had been prepared for some time, as the food was not warm. The meatloaf was tastless and the gravy tasted like it came from a can. The quail was fine, but the parsnips had too much of a bite and were unedible. The pork posole was a good choice.

We were not offered another glass of wine but requested another glass, which had not arrived prior to completing our meal. Thus, we cancelled that order but it showed up on our bill. The waitress pointed out that she had not charged for additional wine, but upon review, she agreed that we had been overcharged.

We averaged $45 for our meal and a glass of wine; had our expectations for good, timely service and good food been met, that price would have been acceptable. We certainly appreciate that it was a new restaurant; the management has some additional training to perfect their processes.

2  Thank lantana50

We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for joining us on our first soft opening night. We're very sorry we failed to meet your and our expectations for good food and prompt service. We'd love another chance to earn your business. If you would please contact me at greg@overlandtrout.com
Thank You.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Southern Arizona has had a number of fine dining restaurants over the years, although most were ahead of their time. While Cafe Roka continues well in Bisbee as does Cose Buone in Patagonia, there is a new player in town that is destined to make a gourmand smile.

Overland Trout, the long waited for addition to the Southern Arizona dining scene made its debut this past Saturday night in Sonoita. What a fun night it was and while this was their soft opening, most certainly with some softness, the future looks bright. Overland Trout is the invention of acclaimed former Phoenix chef Greg LaPrad. While I am sure that he was exhausted by the end of his first opening day, I suspect that he knows that he has a winner in Sonoita.

We arrived at the restaurant a few minutes before our reservation. The parking lot and overflow parking lot were packed. This caused us concern as we knew the main dining room could not handle this number of diners. Still it proved not to be a worry as we warmly greeted by the staff upon entering and once we advised that we had reservations we were promptly escorted to our table……the table I most feared that we would have. The restaurant had posted on their Facebook site their new long bench, custom built on the back of one of the walls. It was not a good decision. The bench is hard as a rock and the person facing the wall has simply no view of the restaurant, just the wall. My wife insisted that I take the bench and thus face the restaurant, which I accepted. I noticed others that were seated at the bench were moving around frequently; probably for a better view and also that the bench was not comfortable. I felt like I was in Paris, but with a harder seat. Oh, and the lighting, not very much. We were in the dark, Ugh.

Evidently Overland Trout did not expect that so many people would show up without reservations. It appeared that those with reservations were immediately seated and those without received places in the bar (which upon hindsight, I would have preferred) as well as outside. The result of such a crowd was the running out of certain foods (such as the manchego cheese which was featured in one of the salads) as well as other items, as well as delay in delivery.

Still the two impressions that I left with was that they offer incredible food and have the potential of a first class staff of servers. Our server, Sierra, was incredible and if she is representative of the type of servers that they will employ, they will most certainly have the highest level of service in not only Southern Arizona, but perhaps the entire state.

The menu we understand will change frequently. The menu of the first night was outstanding. The appetizers were fantastic including three varieties of fresh oysters. My order of “Oyster Teddy” was excellent and unique in that there was a thin slice of egg on each marinated raw oyster. While each category on the menu had limited offerings, that was just fine. Of the two or three salads that were offered we both enjoyed the Late Season Tomato and Eggplant salad. The vinaigrette dressing was too slight, but the warm breaded eggplant, tomatoes, and I think arugula leaves, were excellent. The salad also included manchego cheese, although limited as I believe they had started to diminish their supply.

The entrees were also limited by category, but why would one ever care to have salmon when fresh Mediterranean Sea bass with an Escovitch sauce was featured. While we did not have this fish, I noticed our neighbors did and it was beautiful. If they do the Escovitch sauce Jamaican style with vinegar, allspice, onions and chili, well then they have a winner. My wife had just arrived from Mexico City so she was in to pork. She had Pork Posole and even a day later she raves about the quality. I watched her eat and it simply fell off the pork shoulder and nicely mixed with hominy corn, red chilies and accompanied with warm tortillas.

I enjoyed an excellent rare New York Strip in a sauce that I could not readily identify. The potatoes that accompanied the beef were under cooked, but the variety of vegetables included was outstanding.

Our pre-dinner refreshments were excellent, and while we did miss our preferred brands of alcohol, we were impressed with the overall refreshment offering. I especially appreciate that Overland Trout is supporting our local wineries. My wife enjoyed an excellent Dos Cabezos Meskeoli while I enjoyed a hearty Padres from Callaghan Wineries.

This will become one of the great restaurants in Arizona. Be patient while they get their program working, but you will not be disappointed. My wife and I plan to be frequent diners!

1  Thank Robert V