“Run down lodge at a high price.”
Review of Havasupai Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Supai
Havasupai Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Supai
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Run down lodge at a high price.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We chose to stay here after the 8 mile hike into the canyon. On arrival, the entrance to the lodge had one of the gates missing, the waterfall was empty and filled with rubbish and all the flower beds were again empty. The welcome from reception staff was just about acceptable. Our rooms were an the ground floor and the doors were well bashed with flimsy locks. Inside, the bedding on 2 double beds was clean, as were the towels. The room was extremely basic, although we hadn't expected any more. AC worked, until the power went off in the morning and we had cold showers. No coffee machine, so no hot drinks all day.
We had planned to eat in the cafe, but there was a notice up saying that it had been closed down, due to a fire. As we hadn't taken any food, we resorted to visiting the shop. Supplies were limited, so we ended up with Doritos and a can of cold chilli. We had planned to eat outside, but as I started bringing the food out, 4 dogs appeared and one jumped on the table. So we ended up sitting in with our food all evening. The next morning the shop did have coffee to take away.
It is such a beautiful spot, and with a bit of TLC, the lodge could be good. I do wonder where the money goes for the accommodation, as it is not used for renovation.
The walk down was great, and we had 3 children with us age 10 to 13. It took about 4 and a half hours at a steady pace.The waterfalls are fairly spectacular, although 2 miles downhill, so 2 miles uphill on the way back, when your legs are weary.
The helicopter ride out was amazing, if not a little disorganized. We were there at 8am(to the left of the cafe). A list was then provided and you put your names down. Until you pay the man, you cannot go. He then calls out the names, whilst the helicopter is there, so no-one can hear for the noise. Anyway we did all get out, although in 2 trips.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Alison L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The word "lodge" is better described as "hovel". The staff is incredibly rude and lazy, which is a shame because I know there are many travelers like myself who would be happy to pay for even the simplest of amenities. Outside of getting your keys there is no help from the staff. They lock the office at 5 so if you plan to microwave anything you are out of luck. especially a problem when the two establishments that serve hot food close and change their hours without warning. You might be left without food for dinner at 5:00pm as we were.

The rooms feel unsafe to sleep in - most of the locks on our door had been removed. The exposed outside air conditioning coiling feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Their was a wad of hair in our shower. Overall not at all able to rest comfortably after a long day of hiking.

The bright spot was the Tourism Office.very helpful and one of the rare friendly experiences you will have during your entire time in the village.

Reservations for mules and horses can go unserviced by the Lodge - they dont seem to care one way or the other and are certainly in no hurry to help. If you do opt to ride horses in our out, be prepared to go it alone. There is no "guide", at least not in our case. I was riding well ahead of the "escort" on a horse that would not stand still and wait. Very scary on the rough terrain when you don't know the trail. We had an "escort" who preferred to ride in the back constantly saying in appropriate things to a member of our party ranging from his drug use, getting hickeys from the local ladies to his desire to have her wrap his legs around him. We still tipped him well, hoping he would buy some shoes for the horses.

All in all it was hellacious and the visit to the beautiful falls in no way made up for the overall stress of the experience. Never Again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank lotuslight73
Gwynn Oak
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We do all types of traveling from luxury to timeshare to just a place to stay on the road so you must understand what you are getting. After the 8 mile hike down the canyon, I could have not cared where I stayed. We walked into our cabin, I could not breathe from the long hike and as I opened the door the air conditioning was on full blast. The context is a 4 1/2 hour hike in the dead heat. I thought this must be what heaven was like. I was able to lay down and rest my body for the adventure to the falls. After about 1 hour I was ready to roll. The two mile hike down to the canyon was easy but hot. It is a bit sandy. I did notice that the campsite was well beyond the falls so I would not have been able to hike that length and glad we decided to stay at the lodge. The lodge is the only game in town but I was extremely happy. It was set up like an open motel but the guests who stay there are all friendly and there for the same reason as you. The bed was nice although I really couldn't feel my muscles and did what they call the Supai shuffle (walking all stiff because you are sore). We then hiked the two miles to the falls. After my body cooled at the falls, I was ready for my shower and bed. (I didn't shower before because I was worried I would fall asleep. The shower was hot, the sheets were clean. The air was on. We left the window curtains open in our room and watched the sun set and rise on the beautiful canyon. It is a pretty primitive reservation. Not many luxuries. Lots of horse poop. Nature at its finest. The store has lots of items to buy for food prep and a microwave. I saw they had steaks to grill. I don't care for dogs in general. The stray dogs are all around, some of them were aggressive but they seemed to be aggressive with each other. Folks who like dogs seemed to adopt a dog. At times we did not want to eat outside in the picnic area because they stayed to beg for something to eat. I wish I would have stayed two nights so I could have visited both falls. I was just too exhausted to hike another moment in our short stay. Folks as a general rule aren't very friendly but we kept on talking and asking questions and broke the ice with a few natives.

I'm too old to hike that 8 miles again but I would definitely consider taking a helicopter in and then doing all the waterfalls down there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Joyscape
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 August 2013

If you want to be taken advantage of this is your best option. I would highly recommend staying at the campground if you have the option available based on the price difference between the two. It's unfortunate that the price was so high but it is understandable since it is the only option within the village so they can charge what they wish. The lodge advertises correctly that there is no TV, or fridge and it is really only a place to sleep. We were surprised and grateful for the free wifi (albeit slow) but we were also surprised that the cafe was closed as we had received no warning. Thankfully we brought our own cookware and food so it wasn't a problem but for others it caused them to either pay ridiculously high prices for a set-up daily meal or pay for overpriced groceries for every meal. Again, because everything has to be transported via mules or helicopters we understood why prices are so high but this is fair warning to travellers that you should bring your own snacks and food to save yourselves money. Overall, we are glad we could go because the falls were amazing to view, so make the trip and just book well ahead!

Room Tip: Go for the campsite
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JAG91
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We have a reservation for 9/20, but were unable to find a spot at the lodge or an available campsite for the night of 9/21. Anyone out there willing to share their room or campsite for that night, we would love to split the cost with you.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We started off our trip from Valencia, Ca. The alternator went out on the car in Ludlow, Ca! Towed from Ludlow to Bull Head City, Az and spent the night in Laughlin. Nothing was going to stop us from getting to Havasupai! The next morning we got up, rented a SUV and headed on to our destination. We stayed at the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs for that night, which had wonderful service, wonderful art, wonderful native American flute player in the lobby! We got up the next morning and began our drive to Hualapai Hilltop to get signed up for the helicopter down into the canyon. On the way to the hill top we saw herds of goats and sheep on the road in front of us! Made us smile :) Arriving at the hilltop about 0800, we found the heli pad and eventually got signed up for the trip down. We met many wonderful people while we were waiting, including Baby Sue, a Native American Medicine Woman who we were fortunate enough to spend a couple of hours with the following morning. We witnessed the return of a Native American Soldier's body to the village for burial. While we were there, we heard the three gun salute tribute when the funeral was conducted the next day. We did stay in the lodge which some may consider camping. If you are use to the Hilton, you will not like it. If you are there to see the canyon and embrace the spirit of the canyon, it will not bother you. If you are on a tight schedule, you may become frustrated waiting for your turn on the helicopter out. Once you sign up to leave by helicopter, if you want to keep your place, do not leave for too long. You will go to the back of the line. This did happen to us but we enjoyed watching the people and witnessed much of the life in the village and had a better understanding for maybe why some of the people in the village may not always smile when you do. There are things happening in and around their village that threaten to destroy their village. Our government is allowing drilling for uranium on public lands that pose a huge threat to all of the beauty that you will see there. You have to understand, there are three ways in, helicopter, 8 miles by foot, or riding the mule. It is, indeed, an experience you will never forget if you can get past the fact that you are not staying at the Hilton and if you can find some compassion for a people who's village is on the verge of being destroyed. This was my second trip there, the first one I hiked and camped. This time due to time constraints, we took the helicopter and stayed at the lodge. I plan to go again in November to feel the healing energy of this incredible canyon. I think when the village people see me often enough, they will smile. I have not walked a mile in their moccasins. It may take four times :) Some are smiling already.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Eagleladi
NapTown
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We caught the Helicopter to the Lodge early Sunday morning. We got there and we had no wait. As soon as the helicopter got there we were off to the lodge. We get to the village and the lodge is only 200 yards or so away from the heliport. As you pass through the village you pass by a "Grocery Store" think of it as a small mini mart..It has a lot of food, water, Gatorade, Ice crème and all sorts of small camping supplies you might need. Keep on mind the prices are high but at least you don't have to carry it down.On the other side of the grocery store is a Café. They have all sorts of cooked food options. It is also air conditioned. It was full of hikers while open so we sat outside in a covered patio.They are adamant about the check in time..They will not check you in until check in time. We waited in the patio area of the café until check in time. The room is very basic. 2 beds and plenty of room. We were on the ground level. I asked for a second floor room and she had said they like to keep kids on the ground level..The trails to the falls are sandy but well cleared path. There are areas that have no shade as you hike. We never saw any type of wild animal except little lizards. There are homeless dogs and what looks to be homeless horses. While taking a picture of the falls a horse in water up to waist was eating moss. The falls area was nice and the falls of course were beautiful. As far as the notion that the native people are not friendly I never got that impression. I think its a matter of what your used to..The native people wont run up to you and wave,smile and wish you good morning. If you ask a question they answer you politely. While at the falls there were 2 older Supai gentlemen at the edge of the falls leading down river. I struck a conversation up with them and they said they were sitting there because children would mis judge the swift current in that area and they were there to help keep kids from getting washed down stream. In fact in that area even though I weigh a good 230lbs I could see where if a kid was walking thru it could end bad. My wife and thought that was nice of them. They sat there all day and nobody would think anything of it. While hiking we saw a couple rangers that would hike back and forth making sure there was no medical issues or lost tourist. A lot of what you don't see is what makes this place so nice. At the end of the day it is a isolated area. As far as others saying the area is trashy...I don't see that either. Its no worse than a big city. I don't want peoples negative blurbs on here to dissuade anyone from coming to this area of beauty.
The Good
+++ Beats camping
+++ Air conditioning wont bring the room to 60 deg but it feels a lot better than the temp outside.
+++ The falls are beautiful.
+++ We took the helicopter in and out. In my mind I got to see the Grand Canyon from the air.
+++ There are plenty of food options available. Its just not cheap.
The Bad..
---- The price is a little high for the room. I think that they know people will pay it.
Tips
****There are Bats that fly around high and low eating bugs. They never attacked us while we were watching them.
****The trip out using the helicopter is not well organized. They put a list out at 9:30am. People start lining up as early as 6am to be first in line..Thing is the Supai people will tell you there is no line. They go by the list. While there we got there at 8:30 am and were 27th on the list. There were people that signed up on the list that had just walked up and took the first 7 spots. The helicopter will stay until everyone on the list gets out or until bad weather or dark. We were out by 11am. The Supai get first dibs on spots. They take 6 people a time and they also take your pack and put it in the cargo hold of the helicopter. I was worried they would say something about my pack that weighed 70lbs..They didn't care.
**** The hike to the first falls which is Havasu is 2mile hike from the Lodge. The campground is also 2 miles away. Location wise if you bring your own food its probably better to stay in the camp ground that way you don't have to hike 2mile each away in the sand to get to the falls.
**** Bring water...there isn't any spots to get drinking water anywhere on the way to the falls or while at the falls.
**** the lock on the front door is only a door knob lock. You could see light around the cracks of the door. At no time did I feel unsafe or like our stuff was in danger of being stolen.
**** I recommend the helicopter . It is $85 each way..and only takes 10min.
**** Every place in the village takes Visa and MasterCard. You can even charge the $85 for the helicopter.
**** If you do use the helicopter and are assigned a number you need to be there when the number is called..IF not you get put at the back of the list.

I only rate this place as Average because if you compare it to other hotels in the world it would be. But for being a lodge in a remote location and being basic with air condition its the best option in the village..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
20 Thank RebelKnight

Been to Havasupai Lodge? Share your experiences!