“Breathtaking”
Review of Mooney Falls

Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Supai
More attraction details
Owner description: This waterfall in the Grand Canyon towers higher than the Niagara Falls.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Incredible to think something like this exists anywhere much less in the middle of the desert. Hiking through caves and down ladders really makes you appreciate the beauty even more! Definitely try to go during the week so you have more solitude

All reviews
"havasu creek"
in 5 reviews
"short distance"

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Don't attempt to climb down to the bottom unless you are fearless. Getting to the bottom requires strength, endurance, patience (as you wait for others to safely pass by), a like for dark caves and trust in the giant chains embedded into the rock. Now you have to climb out. But SOOOO worth it! Not recommended for children under the age of 18. Keep the kiddies safe. They're young and can come back when they are older to attempt this daring climb up and down.

1  Thank carm123
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A recent hiking trip to Havasupai included climbing down to the base of Mooney Falls. The climb down is not for the faint of heart. You have to go through a cave and tunnel before reaching the wall. You go backwards hanging on the chains and metal spikes. I advise having gloves for the climb. I used a golf glove in one hand and my biking glove in the other because I could not find my second biking glove. A fellow hiker used weight training gloves. Getting to the bottom is worth the effort. Do not panic.It is easier to go down and up when there are few people going in the opposite direction.

3  Thank Edmund L
Reviewed 1 March 2014

As other reviewers have already noted, the descent from the trail to the base of Mooney Falls can be intimidating. I am in my 40s, of average fitness, not afraid of heights, and do a bit of rock climbing. My sister, also in her 40s, has some fear of heights and said "hell no!" to this climb. You first have to work around the edge of a rocky outcrop. Then you start the steep descent. You climb through two rock tunnels, or tubes. These are narrow enough that at 5'5" tall, with my pack on my back and in half crouch, I was scraping the ceiling. Then you start down the cliff face, which as others have mentioned is fortified with chiseled footholds, and well-secured ladders and chains. Face the cliff and descend like you are going down a ladder for best security. Toward the bottom, the spray from the falls makes the rock wet, but the footholds and chains are very secure. Overall, the route is well-engineered and honestly, quite safe! There were moments when I thought, "Damn!", but I never worried for my safety.

It was absolutely worth it! I do some photography, and getting to the bottom of the falls gave me access to some great photo opportunities. Not to mention that even in February, the temperature of the water in the creek was quite pleasant. I changed from my boots into my water shoes and happily tromped around in the shallow water taking pictures. A fantastic falls!

The climb back up was easier than the descent. Note that if you want to progress to Beaver Falls a few miles further in, you must make the descent at Mooney. You cannot go around it.

5  Thank DonnaSPDX