“Our Havasu falls trip 2014”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Supai
Havasu Falls Campground
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Ok .. ok.. I see many people complaining about the poop smell and the rude people and also the stray dogs and also the animal abuse.. but let me tell you all straight out.. that is all very exaggerated. . Very exaggerated! ! The only thing I agree on is the lack of information between tribe and tourists. . We called many times about more info on the fees and what equipment to take and what are the rules as far as equipment weight for the mules and the distance between parking lot and village and to be honest we got different answers which was iffy.. but... u have to understand that this tribe is always bombarded with tourist. . Based on my recent trip there I will give you all my input. .we were worried about taking my 2 year old there but the when we called them numerous times about that they said she will be ok and it is not that dangerous. .ok my experience. . Not true.. I didn't get to explore all the falls due to the safety of my daughter. . So if you want to explore ALL the falls I do not recommend taking a small child.. we didn't get to explore Mooney Falls and Beaver Falls for that reason.. Second they told us to bring at least 1 quart of water for the hike.. not TRUE! ! Bring at least. . 3 to 4 quarts of water!!! Mix it with electrolytes or gatorade for best results. . If you are going to get the mules make sure you do not go over 130 lbs.. If you do they will take it anyway!!! but it will be in your conscience that the mules are stressed out! Pls be precise on the weight people! ! 130lbs is nothing to a mule but taking advantage of them is wrong! Next.. make sure u tape or secure your ice chest! With tape or strong rope or cord or both ... When you go make sure you get all your tags labeled and ready and place them anywhere by the mules .. don't worry no one will steal them..be polite! ! Just because you have money doesn't mean jack! I was told by the locals they hate snobby tourist.. not good! If you hike out make sure you leave before the sun rises .. I recommend 4 in the morning ..you will be there around 8 or 9 if you are slow... I started at 830 and my wife had a mild heat stroke from the heat .. The village cowboys rescued her and we're very concerned about her well being.. it's the way you present yourself is the key .. be polite.. your on their land .. remember that.. another thing is before you get to the village you will hear water .. now hear this.. This is spring water!! Very drinkable! ! I wish someone would have told me that because me and my son drank all the water due to the lack of info on the hike! But any water pass the village is not drinkable!! If you got the mules it will take about 5 to 6 hours for your belongings to get there .. not the village but the camp site! Remember that also.. you will have to pay all your fees in the village.. they will give you a wristband and they do random checks on wristbands once in the campsite. You will then walk another 2 miles to the campground or pay for horseback there up to you but anyway I would hike there so you can see all the beautiful small waterfalls before hitting the famous havasu falls. .bring non perishable food.. biodegradable soap..pack light..headband light .. and if you hike in and you get sun. A small water spray bottle helped us big time.. And no small children to enjoy the whole experience. . If you fly out, there is no flights on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Sunday is always crowded! If you are leaving.. expect 5 to 8 hour wait on Sunday to depart. Always pick up your trash and keep the campground clean.. hope this helps ...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
57  Thank charger8on22s
There are newer reviews for Havasu Falls Campground

Reviewed 12 June 2014

There are much better places to camp in the Grand Canyon and much prettier falls in other places........I would not support these local village people.....here is why:

The short version of my experience:
This was my 10th time visiting the Grand Canyon and my 5th time camping in various locations.....THIS LOCATION is NOT worth the trip......this was my Worst Grand Canyon visit and very disappointing.....there are better falls to see and better hiking & camping within the Grand Canyon at other locations.....I would not recommend coming to Supai village....rural Mexico is cleaner than this place, these local village people are very rude, unhelpful, try to scam you, and the worst thing is they mistreat the animals beyond belief......mules are given way too much weight, don't get water, have open sores & old scares, and they "un-usable" horses are like walking skeletons because they let them starve to death........I am sad that I went here and gave them my money......in a normal city, these people would be arrested for animal cruelty but they are safe because they live on the reservation.........these people are truly sick in the head!!!

So here is the long version of my experience:
The grand canyon hike itself was awesome and the waterfalls were pretty but there are many other waterfalls to see in the United States....there are 2 main reasons why I do not recommend coming here...1) Rudeness.....I felt like I was imposing just by asking questions to the local employees & the reservation help desk......with the exception of 2 young ladies, majority of the local employees working & living in the village were extremely rude the entire time we were there....they were not very helpful with anything.....if you asked them a question, they would act like they didn't speak English or they would roll their eyes and mumble something or just completely ignore you...they were NOT hospitable at all......I have traveled all over the world & in rural places and have never had much issue with communicating with people but I have never been around people who were so rude overall......and on 2 separate occasions, two of them tried to scam us by charging us extra money, once for camping and once for the helicopter (the only reason we didn't pay extra is because someone next to us told us the correct price)...what stinks is that you don't have a choice because you are 10+ miles in and too far to hike out the same day......2) Animal Abuse & Mistreatment......many of the mules had open sores on them and old scares from wounds.....they were consistently carrying more weight than they should......in one section of the village, there were about 15 horses pinned up with no food or water, they were very skinny with every bone showing....after seeing the mule abuse, I decided to take the helicopter out and as I was waiting (I signed up at 8am and was told it would be 2-2.5 hours, however, it took 6 hours before we left on a horse), I spoke to two of the volunteer veterinarians who make visits regularly to give the local dogs shots who said that they let these horses/mules starve and die once they have no more use for them; that they view animals differently than we do....plus, there were many stray dogs running around with signs posted in the village saying to be careful and to watch out for them.....these people are sick and do not deserve our money or support......I cannot believe that people keep coming back here to camp and support them....If I would have known, I would not have come here and my heart hurts for the animals.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
30  Thank M G
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Had a fantastic time. it was one hell of a hike down but well worth it. The falls were amazing and water felt great. i was amazed at how clean it was in the camp ground. the Horse ride out of the Canyon was awesome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank jdrigoulot
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Where else can you camp near a creek in a beautiful canyon 10 miles from a road and 70 miles from the nearest store?

The spring water was fine to drink so we didn't need to take cooking or drinking water other than what we needed for the hike in. I would definately recommend staying 2 nights so that you can spend a day exploring the waterfalls that are nearby. There are loose dogs around but that keeps the other wildlife out of the campground.

We walked in and out and carried our own packs but the pack service for carrying bags seemed reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Campsite selection varies based on time of year and level of the creek. I would definately not camp...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Nancy45107
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

My first camping experience happened in this beautiful campground. Hiked the 10 miles in and rode out on the horses(3.5hrs mostly uphill). The campground had nicely situated sites and chemical toilets situated throughout the campsite. The smell of them got a bit strong at times but that was bearable. We had a nice big site right by the water. The stray dogs quickly adopted us hoping for food which we happily gave them on our last day. The dogs were gentle and quiet for the most part. Some were in pretty sad shape:(
All the falls were in easily walkable distance and well worth seeing. We hiked with our guide and all our camp paraphenalia was taken down and out by horse and mule. Our guide set up the campsite and cooked- awesome way to camp for a first time experience. It was cold cold cold at night and warmed up nicely during the day. We had Navajo falls to ourselves to swim and lay at the beach and climb for a whole afternoon! Bring layers in October! No campfires allowed so this cut our evenings short as we all wanted to race into our sleeping bags and get warm. I'd absolutely go again! Scenery was so beautiful!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
10  Thank hikesedonachick
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Had a great time in Supai. The West Rim is NOT in the Nat'l Parks system-yeah! All the parks were closed and we were so glad that Supai was open for business-had reserved 6 months prior to the stay.
Stayed at the Hulapai Lodge(great place) in Peach Springs (no gas at Peach Spring so fill up in Kingman). We left at 5 am,arriving about an hour or so later to hike the 10 miles with feet burning as we walked into the rural village 3 hours later but had a nice rest with good solid food at the cafe. Indian Tacos are great!
I have hiked a lot in the White Mtns. with great boots but was not prepared for the pain in the feet. The campground is another 2 miles down.Fortunately we camped by the creek and had a great soak and foot recovery. Keep going after you reach the campground to find a nice spot.
Nice rustic camping with a picnic table and plenty of site options near creeks. Bring a tarp in case of rain. No camp fires allowed. Nice natural spring to fill up on water-no filter necessary!
Hiked out to Beaver Falls -very doable and beautiful. Met a great ranger who gave us very specific instructions re: how to hike down and up from Beaver Falls.
The swimming was refreshing in Havasu Falls.
Down here you are on your own which is empowering, be prepared to tap into your own resources.
It is really amazing. Try not to compare how you live your life and your values with the Havasu tribe in the canyon. You will enjoy it so much more for accepting that "it is what it is." I had traveled here 31 years ago and not much has changed, which for me was very refreshing.
We took the helicopter up for 85.00 PP.Waited in line a while, no big deal.
Highly recommend this trip of a lifetime!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank terra
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have been to Havasupai twice! The first time we hiked in and out. The second time we hiked in and took the helicopter out. The water IS TURQUOISE! It percolates through minerals that make it so. Next to the gorgeous red granite walls of the canyon, it is one of the most spectacular places on earth. You can make arrangements through the Tribal Council. You can only be there as their guest but these are incredibly hospitable people! I recommend hiking all the way in (you can hire a pack mule to haul your camping gear). When you get there all drained, 10 minutes in that water will completely restore you. The hotels are clean and nice but this is camping paradise! Mooney Falls is sooo cool and you can use the old Indian cave trail to the top of it. Oh, as others have said, get on the trail very early...like 4:30 or 5:00a.m. Do yourself the honor of experiencing one of Mother Nature!s true paradises!

Room Tip: We camped both trips. Set your tents close to Cataract Creek, but do your cooking and eating a few...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank Kfrutchey

Been to Havasu Falls Campground? Share your experiences!