“Average Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My perspective is from a person dining alone. Upon arriving I found the atmosphere to be very fancy with white table linens. Very nice. Since I was alone, I was placed back in a corner. I was ignored for the first 15 minutes then finally someone came and took my order. They were not busy. 4 tables were seated. The bread they brought was delicious but then it was wait, wait, wait for my chicken parmesan. When it came, it was ok but not great. You could tell they just quick fried it, slapped it on a plate and ladled some sauce on and threw some mozzarella on the top to melt on its own. It was tasty but the chicken was tough. I had to ask for a refill on coffee after sitting with an empty cup for over 20 minutes. After I got through eating, I waited, and waited, and waited for my bill. I finally had to get up and stand before they finally got my bill. The price was reasonable. I was there 1 3/4 hours. As a single person, I have gotten this treatment before because they assume a single person will not tip as well so they don't put the extra effort in. I noticed the other 4 tables got much better treatment. No, I will not go back there again.

3  Thank julie D

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Great food and service. Very popular, must call for reservations. It is worth a visit. We also "loved" the entertainer who wandered from room to room. Great selection of menu items. Will definitely go back again when we return to Surprise in November.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is a must place to eat. Excellent Food and a great staff. Sonya took such good care of us as well as the rest of the staff. May seem a little selfish, but we will ask for her next time in! Antipasta was a great treat, but we finished with cannolis that made us want to kiss Sonya for the little extra touches she had the chef put on for us

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Restaurant was busy so it seemed like a good idea. Service was excellent but the food was just average.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I and four friends found ourselves back at Portofino's for another great dining experience. Between the six of us we had, Tilapia with veggies, 2 Tilapia with angel hair pasta, Eggplant parmesan, and 2 Veal cutlets. Each meal got rave reviews by those ordering them. The little "free" appetizers that are served in the beginning are really a nice tasty touch. Their salads are equally nice with your choice of dressing. The water, ice tea, and soft drink glasses never run dry. A Waiter is always filling them which is nice to get use to. After dinner I splurged a little on my diet and ordered some type of ice-cream and 6 spoons to share. It was awesome. We will continue to go back as they are incredible. Best time of day, (yes, they do take reservations) is early. Very popular spot, I would suggest arriving at 5:00 PM. Bon Appetite.