“Excellent Customer Service”

Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent Customer Service”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The attentiveness, kindness, and responsiveness of the staff helped make it a great stay! We had several small special requests and each was met in a way that exceeded expectations. The room was comfortable and well equipped & the location was convenient.

Stayed March 2014
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tempe, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us. It is wonderful to hear that our associates played a large part in making your stay great. At Aloft Tempe we are dedicated to quality customer service and ensuring that each of our guest's needs are met or exceeded. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sartell, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I recently just stayed at this location. Arrived at 3:20 in the afternoon, room wasn't ready. Pool was very dirty, stuff floating around and sitting on the bottom. No hot tub, strange for the price. Received a handicap room, didn't ask for one. No tub in the room to kick back and relax in. Room was quite small, no place to put anything. 2 star hotel at best, not even close to a 4 star as advertised.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank dstreff80
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was in town for some spring baseball and stayed the weekend at Aloft Tempe. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel. Of course, there are a few areas that they could improve on, but I am getting ready to book with them again for the upcoming weekend. I like to breakdown my reviews by category:

LOCATION... It does not get any better than this! The hotel is in the perfect location... near the freeway and very close to Mill Ave, ASU, Cubs Park, and Tempe Marketplace. It is also located very central to everything... I have friends in Tolleson, downtown and Gilbert, AZ and they were each only about 20 minutes from the hotel. There is a Jersey Mike's, In n Out and a Starbuck's across the parking lot from the hotel.

HOTEL: Other people complained it was run down, etc. I was sort of expecting a 2 star type of place, but my experience was very positive. My room was NOT rundown at all! Yes, there was some sloppy painting near the top of the wall and a bleach type stain on the carpet, but... really?? How do these things impact my stay? They don't! The bed was fine (others mentioned it was hard; yes, it's on the harder side vs. some luxury plush pillowtop.) I had NO problem with my A/C or air in the room; in fact, there were a few times, I had to turn it off because the air was blowing so cold and/or strong. The bathroom area was fine... lots of mirrors and I didn't have any problem with the amount of shelves/"closet" space. The one thing I was bummed about (only because I read the reviews from other guests about being able to plug in all your devices, etc.... I also took this to mean there would be a few USB charging ports, but that is not the case... there are AMPLE electrical outlets though! I loved the decor throughout the hotel- lobby, halls, and room. I didn't have any issues with noise level (my room was around back though); the first night I was there, I did hear the room across the hall from me... it sounded like they were playing a card game (and definitely having a great time!) I am not picky about things like that though... it did cause me to worry a bit. I was traveling with my dog and she barked when I left the room. You could definitely hear her bark down the hallway... I was worried that it might be bothering the other guests. So... be careful about the noises from your room... they will be heard by those in the hallway.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Prior to my arrival, I spoke with Jamie a few times... he was extremely helpful and friendly in all our conversations. The evening I arrived, there were two people working the front desk. They were both on the phone at the time and there was one other person waiting to be helped. I was a bit put off that neither hotel representative even acknowledged the two of us at the desk; a smile and nod would have been enough instead (we know you are on the phone and cannot speak right at that moment) but waiting approximately 5 minutes to even be acknowledged is not really appropriate (and... to be honest, I was thinking I would not have a nice stay based on that first impression.) For the most part, all my other interactions with the front desk, were fine. On Saturday afternoon, I realized my dog's water bowl had a small leak so based on the website, the "Arf" pet program (from the website "Our program offers a dog bed, bowl, woof-alicious treats, and toys.") so I went to the front desk to set if I could get the bowl. (I was not offered anything for my dog's stay at check in, but I had her bed and bowls so I wasn't too concerned or bothered by that). The two people at the desk didn't seem to know what I was talking about but the young man went in search of a bowl for me. It took a few minutes and he returned with a bowl. I don't know that it was really part of the "Arf" program (I joked around about it just being a leftover cereal bowl from the break room). I would suggest though that if the hotel is going to advertise they have these items readily avaiable for those traveling with their dog, they really need to have these items available. I have stayed at other hotels with my dog and if they have advertised anything special for the dog, I have always been offered those things upon check in and if I have requested it after my check in, the front desk knew what I was talking about and didn't have to serach out for the items. I ABSOLUTELY appreciate the man looking for a bowl for me.. GREAT customer service, but the hotel needs to improve on the system for having what they advertise avaiable. Again... how does this really impact my stay? Not much and not a reason for me to NOT return. I also had a small issue on my last day; one of my conversations with Jamie was regarding a late check out. I indicated on my reservation request I would need a late check out. Jamie instructed me to let the front desk know about it when I checked in. I did inform them and they said "no problem!" Well.. on Sunday morning, I stopped by to verify the late check out and the girl was rude and not helpful. She told me there was nothing in my account/reservation about a late check out and I could not get a late check out. It was against policy. I told her of my conversation with Jamie and the representative on Friday when I checked in; it wasn't until I mentioned that I knew I had to pay a fee for the late check out that she said "oh ok; yes, you can have a late check out." So.. how is it against policy but then a minute later when I acknowledge a fee I would be charged, she seems to know the policy that allows a late check out for a fee? I didn't mind paying the fee (50% of my daily room rate) and was glad Jamie mentioned it when we spoke on the phone, but... when I checked out, the hotel parking lot was empty, as well as the hotel itself. I don't mind paying a fee, but I was also a bit "hmmm" as to why I would have to pay an extra fee if I wasn't holding anyone up from checking into that room. Again, not a reason to NOT stay there again, but just a matter of how the hotel handles the situation.
The lobby area and bar were very cute and welcoming. Unfortunately, I did not have time to enjoy either, but it definitely seemed like many people did. When I checked in around 10 p.m. on Friday, it was pretty crowded and people seemed to be having a great time.

I was very lucky and got an amazing deal for my stay last weekend; this weekend it will be about $40-$50 more a night. I will pay it because of it's location and overall vibe. I would recommend the hotel to my friends who are traveling to the area.

Overall, LOVED the hotel and loved my stay there. I'm not sure about the people who only gave it 1 or 2 stars. Yes, there are small things that could be better or improved upon, but Aloft does not claim to be a 5 Diamond/Star hotel (and if you want that kind of place, then only go to 5 Diamond hotels); I feel it definitely deserves at least a 4 star rating though. It is NOWHERE near a bargain brand hotel (Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.); it is more on par with boutique style hotels.

Room Tip: I was in Room 432... no outside noise at all and view of the pool area (and back parking lot, but...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lvtravelngirl
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Good hotel, clean rooms and quiet rooms. Had sort of a modern feel and a very friendly staff. We'd come back for sure. The only downside or 'odd' thing was that the rooms had concrete ceilings and were tall. Definitely had the feel of a loft. It wasn't bad, just different.

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and our dedicated team of associates were able to provide you with a memorable stay. We hope to see you again in the future. Take care!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The accommodations and staff were amazing. From the moment we arrived until we left, they took care of our every need. Awesome location, very close to Scottsdale and Phoenix. The lobby bar and bartender became our favorites. Highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Tempe, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful review. We are pleased to learn our ideal location fit your needs perfectly and you enjoyed our friendly associates and W XYZ Bar. Superior customer service is a main priority for us and we pride ourselves on providing exceptional stays to each of our guests. We hope to welcome you back soon. Thanks again and take care!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 February 2014

These guys are true pros. I work in the hotel Industry and the GM and front desk manager are on it. I was doing a local conference and had a ton of bags, shipping issues, and other problems I had to work out and they were so helpful and went out of their way to assist.
The rooms are comfy, and modern and a great hotel for business travelers as the rooms have lots of plugs and a desk and free wi if and water. Will for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an "inside" room , opposite the highway if you are a light sleeper.
Houston
Reviewed 13 February 2014

If you're looking for a change from your run of the mill Courtyard, Hampton Inn, or Holiday Inn, an Aloft might be for you. As most of the other reviews state, the guest accommodations are quite unique - like something you would picture in Europe or in a modern single person's city loft apartment. The beds are low to the ground, the decor is artsy/contemporary, and there are no dressers.

Let me start with the positive, since it is the only reason this hotel earned 3 stars from me:
* Friendly attentive staff - went out of their way to help me
* Great set up for working with plenty of outlets near the desk
* Fantastic location - close to downtown Tempe/ASU, downtown Phoenix, and many of the spring training stadiums. In addition, there is a Starbucks, an In-N-Out Burger, and a Jersey Mike's sub shop directly across the street. Big ups for that.
* Complimentary Wi-Fi

Cons:
* Generally dingy, run down, and dirty. My room had a stained carpet, what appeared to be spackle or wallpaper glue on the wall, and the wallpaper was peeling in various parts of the room. The common areas/hallways were also dirty and needed replacing or a good cleaning
* Beds not all that comfortable, pillows were definitely NOT comfortable
* The heating/cooling unit in my room stopped working on the last morning of my stay - not enough for me to call about it, but if I was staying longer I would have had to. As it was I had to simply unplug the whole unit.

I'm still undecided on if I will return, but odds are I will probably try someplace else - but that In-N-Out Burger certainly is convenient!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank themosh1