I booked this room through Priceline, which perhaps was my first error in judgment (and will be the topic of another review). At the airport, I phoned the hotel to send the shuttle, and the van arrived within the 15 minutes expected, which was great. But that was the only thing positive about the experience. The van was old and ratty and the floor was littered with food wrappers and other debris, but the main feature of this complaint was the driver, who seemed either too disabled to be driving, or on drugs. I was the only passenger aboard, unfortunately. I sat in the middle of the seat behind him. He seemed nice, but it was impossible to understand almost anything he said, and his body jerked around randomly like a friend I have who suffers from Parkinson's. I am sympathetic with the issues of having a disorder like that -- but my friend doesn't drive, and he definitely doesn't drive for a living. No one with motor control issues should be behind the wheel. Perhaps this driver didn't have Parkinson's but was on drugs? Either way, it was a terrifying ordeal as he sped along passing cars quickly, changing lanes frequently, tailgating, and turning around constantly to look and talk to me for far too long. Then halfway through the trip he took a radio call saying he was late to pick someone up back at the airport so he increased his speed even more while twitching and jerking and turning around to talk to me. I was literally shaking when the van finally dropped me off at the hotel entrance. It was an unbelievable experience.
On the good side of the hotel, the desk clerk was terrific, and because I had to leave the next morning before their free breakfast buffet opened, she said I could get a to-go box from the cafe that night, which was helpful.
Another downside is I arrived when it was 102 degrees outside and the room's AC was shut off. It also was broken, I found, so the clerk brought me a new key for another room -- she was a terrific desk clerk. However, the AC was also shut off in that room. This seemed inane, because when they know a guest is arriving, most hotels will make the rooms comfortable, whether needing heating or cooling. The room took a looooonnnggg time to cool down enough to sleep.
Finally, the hotel's airport shuttle service didn't begin until 6 a.m., which is beyond ridiculous. All other hotels that offer shuttles run either 24/7 or their shuttles begin no later than 4:45 a.m. (I have since doublechecked). My flight was at 7 a.m., so a 6 a.m. shuttle wouldn't cut it, so I had to order a taxi, which cost $22 including a $2.50 tip.
While I was financially ticked off about this, I knew that if the same shuttle driver was driving my morning shuttle there is no way I would ride with him again, so in a way it seemed like $22 was cheap to possibly save my life.
What torques me is that I only opted to go with Priceline after filtering their search for "airport shuttle." Well, yeah, they have a shuttle, but it's operated by someone who should not be driving, and its hours are so limited as to be laughable. Phoenix is an international airport, which means planes fly in and out early in the morning. To only offer a shuttle starting at 6 a.m. is a joke. And to offer a shuttle driven in a dangerous fashion should be against the law.
Also, the hotel grounds needed serious sweeping. And for the first 15 minutes I was in my room, several guys stood outside swearing (I can swear with the best of them, but don't want to hear it public) and talking about the police who were there earlier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfect for business and leisure travel, we set a new standard among Tempe hotels for hotel accommodations, free amenities and superior service in Phoenix/East Valley-area. Delight in magnificent mountain views. Enjoy nearby ASU, golf courses, renowned attractions, decadent dining, spectacular shopping options and exciting sports events around the Phoenix/Chandler/Mesa/Gilbert area. Suite Luxury for Less with Cloud 9 Beds & Bedding and FREE: Shuttle to Sky Harbor 24/7 Daily, Hot Full Breakfast, WiFi, Evening Social Hour & more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, IBC Hospitality, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport Inn Tempe
- Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport Innsuites Hotel And Suites