“Scariest hotel-airport shuttle driver ever”

Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites
Ranked #36 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked this room through Priceline, which perhaps was my first error in judgment (and will be the topic of another review). At the airport, I phoned the hotel to send the shuttle, and the van arrived within the 15 minutes expected, which was great. But that was the only thing positive about the experience. The van was old and ratty and the floor was littered with food wrappers and other debris, but the main feature of this complaint was the driver, who seemed either too disabled to be driving, or on drugs. I was the only passenger aboard, unfortunately. I sat in the middle of the seat behind him. He seemed nice, but it was impossible to understand almost anything he said, and his body jerked around randomly like a friend I have who suffers from Parkinson's. I am sympathetic with the issues of having a disorder like that -- but my friend doesn't drive, and he definitely doesn't drive for a living. No one with motor control issues should be behind the wheel. Perhaps this driver didn't have Parkinson's but was on drugs? Either way, it was a terrifying ordeal as he sped along passing cars quickly, changing lanes frequently, tailgating, and turning around constantly to look and talk to me for far too long. Then halfway through the trip he took a radio call saying he was late to pick someone up back at the airport so he increased his speed even more while twitching and jerking and turning around to talk to me. I was literally shaking when the van finally dropped me off at the hotel entrance. It was an unbelievable experience.

On the good side of the hotel, the desk clerk was terrific, and because I had to leave the next morning before their free breakfast buffet opened, she said I could get a to-go box from the cafe that night, which was helpful.

Another downside is I arrived when it was 102 degrees outside and the room's AC was shut off. It also was broken, I found, so the clerk brought me a new key for another room -- she was a terrific desk clerk. However, the AC was also shut off in that room. This seemed inane, because when they know a guest is arriving, most hotels will make the rooms comfortable, whether needing heating or cooling. The room took a looooonnnggg time to cool down enough to sleep.

Finally, the hotel's airport shuttle service didn't begin until 6 a.m., which is beyond ridiculous. All other hotels that offer shuttles run either 24/7 or their shuttles begin no later than 4:45 a.m. (I have since doublechecked). My flight was at 7 a.m., so a 6 a.m. shuttle wouldn't cut it, so I had to order a taxi, which cost $22 including a $2.50 tip.

While I was financially ticked off about this, I knew that if the same shuttle driver was driving my morning shuttle there is no way I would ride with him again, so in a way it seemed like $22 was cheap to possibly save my life.

What torques me is that I only opted to go with Priceline after filtering their search for "airport shuttle." Well, yeah, they have a shuttle, but it's operated by someone who should not be driving, and its hours are so limited as to be laughable. Phoenix is an international airport, which means planes fly in and out early in the morning. To only offer a shuttle starting at 6 a.m. is a joke. And to offer a shuttle driven in a dangerous fashion should be against the law.

Also, the hotel grounds needed serious sweeping. And for the first 15 minutes I was in my room, several guys stood outside swearing (I can swear with the best of them, but don't want to hear it public) and talking about the police who were there earlier.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank martello2
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I am sorry that your experience with our shuttle was not up to your expectations. I will speak with my drivers about their behavior, driving and the condition of the shuttle. I do know which driver you speak of, he is rather hyper, but I assure you in the 3 years he has worked for us he is very hard working and has not had any accidents.

I apologize that our airport shuttle hours did not work for your travel plans. We do have our shuttle hours of 6am-10pm specifically posted on that website so guests are aware of the shuttle availability. I apologize that despite this our shuttle hours did not meet your needs.

I am glad to see the the FD & cafe staff provided you the level of service that we pride ourselves on.

Due to similar sentiments recently, we have had our staff leave our AC units at a certain designated temperature instead of completely off. We are now pre-assigning rooms in the morning so we have the AC units ready.

I would like to discuss your reservation in further detail. Please contact me directly at (480) 897-7900 or aschanze@innsuites.com so that we can speak directly.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is a great value. It's clean & set up like a Pueblo Village with courtyards. They have happy hr. every day with complimentary wine or beer & appetizers. You can upgrade you're drink for a dollar. It's convenient to the airport. Only 15 min away. Everyone is friendly. The breakfast is good. The beds are comfy. They also have a shuttle to the airport. Downtown Phoenix is not that far away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful Comments about your recent stay. As you encountered during your stay here, our Complimentary Social Hour and our Free Hearty Hot & Healthy Breakfast Buffet are our most complimented of our many free amenities. As you stated, we are very conveniently located close to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, and a very short drive to Downtown Phoenix. We look forward to your return during your next trip to the Phoenix/Tempe area.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed here. The beds were really comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The breakfast included with our rate was outstanding. I would stay here again and plan on doing that soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

On behalf of my staff, thank you for your praise of your recent stay. It is our goal that all guests leave our hotel with similar sentiments, and I am glad to see that our efforts are being noticed. Our guests frequently praise the wonderful quality of our signature Cloud9 Bedding program, and the Hot, Hearty & Healthy breakfast buffet provided free to all of our registered guests. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked this hotel for 4 nights, first time in Phoenix, liked the amenities,room pictures, and price. Didn't realize its an open complex to the street, with sidewalks and shaded sitting areas, access to pool and café building to anyone, not limited to guests at all. Arguments and fights outside my room during the night, and lots of homeless people walking around, helping themselves to free breakfast, no one there to manage who was at café and weather you were a guest to get your breakfast or use pool. Got my food, nowhere to sit, went back to room to eat. Called front desk to let them know that no one was checking to see if they were guests at café. Was told the hotel was very busy, didn't seem to care about my concerns. ended up checking out without refund of last 3 nights, found a safer place to stay for $4 more/ night. Still trying to get refund. Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank debbill72

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our property during your recent visit due to other guests. As we discussed last week, we have authorized the 3rd party on line travel agency you paid your reservation through to refund you for the nights that went unused. I will work with my cafe staff to modify the methods for which we are verifying the status of the people at our breakfast. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can address it. If you need any further assistance with your reservation or the refund that is to be provided by the website you booked on, please contact me directly at (480) 897-7900 or at aschanze@innsuites.com.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

After reading mixed reviews I was hesitant to stay on a holiday weekend. Check in was fast/efficient. I was upgraded to a Jacuzzi Suite, I'm guessing because I needed only one bed and mostly families were staying for Memorial Weekend. Room was large, with a Large flatscreen in the separate living room area, and a great balcony. The bathroom was updated, with a large jacuzzi tub which was a nice bonus. Breakfast was more than sufficient with great service. I will return when I am in need of a room near the airport. Go there with the mindset that you aren't expecting the Ritz. You will be pleasantly surprised with the value you receive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your recent visit to our property. As you experienced, our value far outweighs our cost. I am glad that you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our spacious Presidential Suites during your stay. If you stay at our hotel due to its location close to Sky Harbor, call us directly next time to ask about our Park & Fly specials that include parking during your trip.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

To break it down in simple form..
Manager very unprofessional. Was saying the f word in front of customers.
Rooms are small and horrible and doesn't fit the description listed online.
why ask for certain requests from customers, if they aren't going to fulfill them?

After staying here, as a family and for our safety we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Marisa S
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I am the General Manager of the hotel, and I am shocked that you overheard one of my staff members having a conversation with such language. Please contact me directly at (480) 897-7900 or aschanze@innsuites.com so that I can get more information about your experience. I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience this visit and I hope to speak with you directly so that I can make sure to resolve your issues directly and find out more about this situation.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Room was a good size and clean, had a flatscreen tv, comfy bed, and a fridge. Everything was in good working order. Staff were friendly and service was good.
The buffet breakfast was good offering several choices and their social hour where they offered two free beers or soda's along with chips, popcorn, etc. was good also. They had a nice pool and sitting area which was nice to relax by in the evening.
It is in a great location with easy access to the freeways and several restaurants & stores close by. Arizona Mills Mall is just across the street which you can walk to.
Good value for budget hotel, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam S, General Manager at Hotel Tempe/Phoenix Airport InnSuites Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your recent stay. As you noticed during your stay, all of our InnSuite Extras make the value of our stay very attractive to guests staying in the Tempe area. We are proud to offer a Free Hot & Healthy buffet breakfast, Free social hour, 30mg fiber wired & wifi HSIA, Free Sky Harbor Airport shuttle (6a-10p), and free bottled water upon check-in to Every guest, Every day of the week. Our location, near Phoenix Sky Harbor and across the street from Arizona Mills, is one of our greatest assets for our guests. We look forward to seeing you upon your next visit to the Tempe/Phoenix area.