“Towels like braided rugs!”

Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe
Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed for three days from Friday-Sunday. Maybe there is more staff on weekdays, but there was only one front desk guy the entire stay. I expected no housekeeping (not a problem for me), as they inform you on their website, but they also had no extra maintenance person. There was no TV remote in my room, and I had to go back down to the front desk to obtain one, since the front desk guy was alone.

The ironing board was so bent out of shape, it wouldn’t stand up by itself. Since I was traveling with a friend, I just swapped with the one in his room. Also, my friend never made his own coffee, because the instructions on his coffeemaker were rubbed out. I couldn’t help him, because I had a different model in my room. They need to pay more attention to details like this, and make sure everything is in working shape. They do have freshly brewed coffee always in the ‘cupboard’ area, so that was nice for him.

On the website, they advertise a fully stocked ‘cupboard’, which is like a mini-mart, complete with frozen items. The entire time I was there, the frozen food shelves were completely empty. Perhaps they only supply stuff for the weekday guests, but isn’t my weekend money just as good?

Now, those horrible towels. They literally felt like drying yourself with a rug. Roughest towels I have ever felt. Luckily, my friend had some towels he uses for camping, and we used them for the duration of the stay. I suggest bringing your own!

The fan in the bathroom turns on automatically with the light, and it is so loud, you have to blast the TV in order to hear over it.

The only reason I would possibly stay there again is the full refrigerator with freezer, and the very nice mini kitchen. That part was excellent. Oh, and the recliner was pretty awesome. However, if I can find another hotel in the area with those same features, I think I would stay there instead.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Rubybear9,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed here on Business which is located near the Arizona Mills mall in Tempe. The staff was superb and this is a no frills perfect hotel for long term stay. The room was spacious with full kitchen facility. TV had several channels and internet service was great. Hotel is slightly away ( about Two Blocks ) from the hustle and bustle of the area directly express from the West entrance of the mall where there are several small businesses and shops, so it was very quite as well. The rooms were clean and I liked their honor bar system for snacks & sundries. At departure, I asked for an extended rate package, since my associates were scheduled to be here I this area for the next few months and the Director of Sales was excellent and had great customer service skills. Good Hotel- Stay with confidence

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Paula M
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This location has a friendly and accommodating staff. They are always asking how everything is and if there was anything they could do to help. Candlewood is a little different you are responsible for your own linen and trash but that what helps keep the cost down. The pool and sauna are very nice after a long day at work.

Room Tip: If your in the Tempe area possible to catch a couple Spring Training Games and need a low cost place...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Terry M,

Thank you for posting a review regarding your stay with us. We are so happy to hear you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

First I would like to say that the folks that manned the front desk were all very helpful and very nice. We are reviewing the hotel however not the people at the desk.

This place was a total disappointment in every way. The hallways reeked of nasty food smells. The rooms were grim. Apparently, supposedly, these rooms were recently renovated. One would never know that. Everything was brown or black in not a sophisticated way. Brown carpet, bedspread, black cheap cabinetry. Having used Holiday Inn products for many years and having always been pleased with the atmosphere and amenities at whatever level of their hotels, this brand should be a total embarrassment for Starwood. I used reward points to stay here for this visit but beware that this is a total budget hotel. It does have a small kitchenette with a microwave, stovetop and refrigerator. I was given a room on the first floor and for 4 of the 5 nights I stayed there, had to call the front desk because the people above me had children running and jumping constantly for hours on end.

All in all, I regretted having made reservations at this hotel and was very unprepared for how awful it really was. I was basing the reservation on the normal Holiday Inn brand. Everything in the room was of the cheapest quality. There is no housekeeping on a daily basis which I knew about before booking. If you are going to the Phoenix area and are on a budget, I am sure you could find something much nicer as there are many hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor for noise reasons. Terrible food smells in hallways with no venti...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Phoenix Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear radewey,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

When you are visting Phoenix, here is right place to stay.
No reason to stay at fancy hotel.
They got kitchen to cook so if you are tired of eating at outside or junky food, just cook whatever you like.
Also from here, you can reach anywhere, it's at nearby the freeway.
I love staying here.

Room Tip: Bring your own food to make yourself more confortable. It's better to ask vacant near the laund...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The area is fine. Not a ton to do here but there is a mall just across the street and ASU within a few miles. Great spring training hotel just off the 60 and I-10. Rooms were clean, pool was small but nice and hot tub was warm. Best value in the entire area in my opinion.

Dependable stay with great customer service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Great location for visiting the Phoenix area and also not too far from the Sky Harbor airport. Easy accesses to many highways. There is a nice mall (Arizona Mills) for doing some shopping (there is also an aquarium in that mall), just across the street.
This hotel is excellent and well taken care off.
Our room had a living room area, a full kitchen being well equipped and furnished (which is not the case most of the time with hotel's kitchenett) with plenty of seating space and a distinct closed bedroom. Flat screens in the living room and bedroom. I think the sofa was also a sofabed (if needed to accomodate more).
The area, the hotel and the room were clean and quiet.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
There is a small heated pool and a hot tub.
Two grills are available at your convenience for cooking and are situated in the pool area.
All of this for a very good price.
We stayed there for only one night but really enjoyed our stay and will be back at this hotel when returning to the Phoenix area

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple