“Great Place”

Studio 6 Phoenix - Tempe
Ranked #39 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was very happy with my 3 day stay there. The room was clean, good size and quiet. The ac unit worked beautiful, the bed very comfortable and the Pillows were fabulous. Wifi worked great, tv was big enough. I felt safe staying there, it was quiet and off the main road but easy access to freeway and baseline road. I will stay there again next time I go to Phoenix. The front desk staff was very nice and friendly. They have a nice bbq area with picnic tables in case you want to bbq. Nice trees and grassy area behind the motel. They allow pets so it may be a nice area for them. I would recommend this location to everyone. I am so glad for these trip reviews because it helped me make a great choice for my stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Debra D

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We have stayed at this Studio 6 3 times while in The Phoenix area to attend Spring Training games. It is a good value with the rooms a little more than 40 bucks a night. Nothing in the area beats that value as far as I have been able to find out. I like the kitchenette lay out of the rooms. the size seems adequate for a short stay. Realize the housekeeping is weekly with the same for fresh linen. I have found the desk staff to be friendly, but not particulary responsive. The housekeeping staff was better this year. The Parking is easy, either right outside your door or one flight of stairs down from the room. The major complaint I have is the poor internet at this place, out of our 13 day stay this year, I would estimate we have internet connection about half the time. You pay extra for internet here, and we did get a refund (no questions asked) , but it was very frustrating and inconveinent.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redriders2
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Not a bad location, Right off a major street (baseline) and literally 2 minute drive to a great mall (Arizona Mills). The room was not super clean, but not filthy either. For the price I got $40/night, it was what I expected. We stayed 12 days/nights so the value was amazing. Only real complaint we had was that housekeeping was fairly inconsistent. We took a day and a half trip to the grand canyon, and after our arrival back, the room was not cleaned @ all. for the value, not a bad place for an extended stay (hence the name). would i stay there again? sure. would i rather try to get a nicer room for a bit more money? of course. 3/5 overall.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I stayed at the Studio 6 in Phoenix the night before checking into this Studio 6, so that may impact my opinion. That being said, I had a very positive experience for the week that my wife and I stayed at this location. It was clean, the front desk staff was friendly, I felt safe, and (unlike the Phoenix location) there was a nice area to walk my dogs. The room was in much better shape than the Phoenix Studio 6, and it isn't even a close comparison. The mall is close by, there are a number of restaurants to choose from, and the area it is located is nice and quiet at night. If you can stay in Tempe, I would recommend it. I definitely would choose this location over the Phoenix one for sure.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I've stayed here a few times over the past few years and have seen a drop in overall attentiveness to the details but mostly it's been clean and cheap. The location is convenient. Parking can be tight.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2009

While the hotel was not old the walls and floors to this place were filthy. How the place had hairballs on the bathroom floor makes me suspect the place is never cleaned well and the walls, oh my.

My reservation was for a non smoking room and all they had left was a terrible smelling filthy room. I had to plug a hole in the wall above the kitchen cabnets with toothpaste because it looked like a mini camera could have been in it before.

There are lots of nicer hotels close to this location so I would stay away.

I make lots of trips to Phoenix/Tempe and will NEVER stay at this place again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Asicsmaloy
Reviewed 28 September 2008

The clientele there were scary. I didn't have any real problems, except for a constant feeling of being unsafe or in potential danger. If someone wanted to mug a guest there, there would be ample chance to do so. There are long-term renters there. People loitering in the parking lot day and night. The security guard, or so he said he was, though polite, loiters with the loiterers. I saw a "guest" sitting in his room with his door wide open, he was just staring out the door; there was a woman talking loudly on her cell phone outside,walking back and forth outside of my room, for what seemed like hours, about her clients' personal matters; others loitering in the parking lot in clothing that I would consider unfit in public; someone sitting in the stairwell outside of my room talking on his cell phone. The quarters are tight, so if he wanted to just jump a guest, he could have. I set a snack of bread near the door *inside of my room* so that I'd remember to bring it in the morning, and the next morning, it was infested with ants that came into the room from outside.

There is no hair dryer there.

I asked for directions from the desk clerk and she could not be bothered to tell me which way on I-10 to go (she said she didn't know - which way on I-10, and hurried through her explanation) to get to a store so I could be a cell phone for safety. Her lack of directions led me to get lost in a not so good part of town nearby, with the roads flooding on the side. I consider myself lucky to have gotten through that safely. It was a harrowing experience. Couldn't the clerk have bothered to tell me which areas to stay away from? It would be nice if the manager trained staff to care about the safety of its guests.

In defense of the motel, overall the staff seemed alright, it is the clientele and the loitering in the parking lot; people in the stairwells, talking on their cell phone, all of the activity that takes place outside of the hotel rooms, on the property - parking lot, stairwells, grounds - that is scary. And, like another guest's comments, it did sound as if the people upstairs were playing football at night, lots of loud bodyslam type noises (no screams, thankfully) on the floor.

Go for a pricier efficiency suite option in Chandler that is situated firmly in the East Valley. Then, you will feel safer. It was not worth the money I saved, I lost that in peace of mind, and a somewhat harrowing instance getting lost in a nearby undesireable neighborhood at night, with the roads starting to flood, partly because the front desk clerk could not be bothered to take the time to slowly give me proper directions, nor to warn me of areas nearby to stay out of. I didn't get a sense that the staff was concerned about my safety. It was not fun. Go for a higher priced facility and get peace of mind.

• Stayed: September 2008