“Excellent new hotel in the heart of ASU”

Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Sedona, Arizona
“Excellent new hotel in the heart of ASU”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here two nights to attend an art festival on Mill Avenue in Tempe. Hotel just a block off Mill Ave. which gives it the perfect location for ASU activities and great places to eat and relax on Mill Ave. The hotel is well run and the staff very helpful. The rooms were surprisingly quiet despite all of the activity in and around the hotel. Rooms comfortable and spacious. Parking garage attached to hotel makes things very convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PHXTD, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hi Micki B.

Thanks for such a great review! We're so glad you enjoyed yourself at our hotel with its great location. With the Arts Festival just a walk up the street and ASU playing Stanford out our front door, it was a pretty busy weekend for us. We thank you for taking the time to express your positive feedback!

We looking forward to seeing you again at the Residence Inn Tempe Downtown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were here one night for the ASU vs UofA game (which ASU won - Go Sun Devils!!). The location is EXCELLENT if you are attending an event at Sun Devil Stadium or Wells Fargo Arena. I was expecting the rooms to be noisy (which ours was not at all) and the place to be packed because they were fully booked (but no problems with elevators, breakfast buffett, and other areas where hotels suffer when at maximum guest capacity).
However, when we checked at 5 pm, we were told that we had already checked in several hours earlier! This took over 20 minutes to resolve when we really needed to get on to our room and ready for the game. Apparently another guest with our same last name also staying on Marriott points at the same Marriott Elite level as my husand was given our room (at least this is the explanation the front desk finally gave us). I do not enjoy checking into a hotel where the front desk personnel question me like I am being dishonest or attempting to run some type of scam over on them. I also kept asking them to check our address and my husand's Marriott number but apparently none of that information was available for them to view??! I would think as a basic security measure any hotel would double check both first and last names on a reservation and ask for a credit card (another way to check names) to cover any incidental expenses. Anyhow, that was a very annoying and time-wasting way to start the hotel stay.
As far as the rooms go, they are on the small side but nicely furnished (in our room, we had to move the table and chairs out of the way in order to open up the sleeper sofa and have room to walk around it). The air/heat vent blows directly onto the bed and if the temp was set at 69 cold air conditioning blew on us, if the temp was set at 70 heat blew on us. Although the bed was comfortable this air/heat issue prevented us from sleeping well. Another annoying issue is that the clothes hangars are actually too big for the closet so if you hang something, you either can't close the closet door or your clothes are going to get messed up if you do close the door. I could see this as a problem for the business traveler who stays in the hotel for several nights (it would certainly bother my husband who is a business traveler most of the time).
Since I believe these issues are fixable and the hotel is still working out kinks, I still gave the hotel a 4 rating.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jogom
Jeffrey K, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that, overal, you enjoyed your stay. But I do want to thank you for your comments about some of our opportunity areas. Being a brand new hotel with brand new staff, it's great to hear about areas we are succeeding and also areas where we can improve. I apologize for the mix up during your check in. Simply put, there is some additional training that we can do in order to avoid situations like this in the future. Thank you for your feedback on the AC and coat hangers! I've been in our rooms many times but never as a guest, so your perspective is greatly appreciated and will be addressed! All the best, ~Jeff (GM)
Huntington Beach
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

This Residence Inn far exceeded our expectations for our stay in Tempe for the ASU game this weekend.
The staff is great and accommodated every request we had, the rooms were clean, quiet and well decorated.
We will now be staying here every time we come to visit our daughter at the university.

Stayed December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our new hotel. I was thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to being your new 'home away from home' as you travel to the Tempe area. See you soon! ~Jeff (GM)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I live in the area and stayed with my family of 4 on a short staycation prompted by a great rate I found online. This is one of the few hotels in Tempe you can access by light rail from the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. Less than a block from the ASU stadium - home of the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. Two blocks from the bars and restaurants on Tempe's legendary Mill Ave. favorite features: rooftop pool, jacuzzi & firepit; free breakfast Residence Inn style; comfy, quiet rooms.

Only negative (if I was pressed for one): rooftop experience in the morning is a little noisy from airplanes taking off. Wasn't bad in the afternoons or evenings when more planes are landing than taking off.

• Stayed November 2013
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our new hotel. We are thrilled to be open here in the heart of Tempe and it's exciting to hear that locals are coming out to enjoy the hotel as well. We look forward to hosting you during your next 'staycation'! ~Jeff (GM)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband, 2-year-old, and 3-year-old while my husband competed in the Ironman race. This hotel is new and our room was clean and ideal for us, with a pull-out sofabed and a king size bed. They also gave us a pack and play to use for free. The kitchen had everything one could need. It was nice to have a full-sized refridgerator with an icemaker in room. There are also coin laundry machines in the hotel. Every time I needed additional towels or sheets or anything else the front desk staff was always very acommodating and all items were brought to our room quickly. The breakfast buffet was great, too. Not having to pay extra for a full breakfast is a plus! We checked in on a weekend, so weekend parking is free. They do charge for parking Monday-Friday, but this is clearly stated on their website. I think most other hotels in the area with a parking garage also charge. Even with paying for parking for two days, our stay was cheaper at this hotel than it would have been at other hotels in the area. This hotel is a couple blocks from Mill Ave where there are tons of restaurants and shops. It was about four blocks from the IronVillage at Tempe Beach Park for the Ironman race. There was a CVS within walking distance as well. There is also a yoga studio downstairs, although I didn't take a class there--had I known earlier in my trip I would have! Finally, across the street there is a train/bus station so if you came without a car I'm sure you could get around fine on the public transportation, which looked clean and new. Another reviewer complained about noise from people partying--Tempe is essentially a college town (ASU has an enrollment of like 73K students), so if it was a night when a football game was going on, it wouldn't surprise me if passerbyers made some noise. I didn't hear any outside noise in our room, and this hotel is not in the middle of campus, so I wouldn't think it would be a recurrent problem. There is also a pool on the roof, but I didn't go up there to check it out as it was a little chilly for swimming and we didn't have much free time. The only thing I think they could improve would be to direct the A/C vent up so that the air coming out of it doesn't blow straight onto the bed. All in all, if my husband ever does the Ironman race here again, I would stay here again in a heartbeat and highly recommend this hotel to other race-goers and athletes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
PHXTD, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hi Jennifer!

Thank you so much for the great comments in regards to our hotel! We strive to ensure our guests are taken care of during their stay with us. Hopefully we will see you again next year for Ironman!
Madison,AL
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Overall this is a pretty nice place, with many modern features and a relaxing feel. The staff at the desk is mixed in customer service.
The rooms are cute, but small for four, but actually really useful and utilizing the space in the best way possible.
While the Courtyard and the Mission Palms are slightly closer to the race, this maybe a quieter place to rest, at least on the opposite side from the stadium.

• Stayed November 2013
La Vernia, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Very upscale residence inn. Nice lobby and rooms are very spacious and clean. Lots of places to plug. In your electronics which is a must these days. The desk is spacious and easy to work at. Nice comfortable desk chair. I thought the layout was very good for a business traveler.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin K
PHXTD, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review! We are glad that the suite accommodated your needs, especially all the plug ins as it is essential for our everyday lives. We pride ourselves on offering such a modern design and functional space for all of our long term guests.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Kari Kovarovic