“Awesome location”

Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We live in Northern AZ and came down to do last minute Christmas shopping and to take the kiddos to zoolights. We had 4 adults and 3 small kids with us. The two bedroom suite was perfect. It is very new, modern and clean with a lot of space. The staff was very friendly. You can't beat the location. Super close to Tempe marketplace and about 10 minutes from Scottsdale fashion square.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Nicole J
Jeffrey K, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

We are so glad you found us! Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review, we are so excited now be open and welcoming guests to this great new hotel. See you next time you are in the area!
~Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Bottom Line: We loved our stay, highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again w/o any reservation.

Our family of three stayed here for several nights over the Christmas holiday. The staff were super accommodating and friendly (fun to chat with) and knowledgeable on the area. The hotel is super clean (my pet peeve) and quite new and this is reflected not only in the lobby area but also in the rooms. The lobby area has a room with two computers and printers-perfect for printing out boarding passes & surfing the web. There is also free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel which we loved. There are several semi-private sitting areas in the lobby with their own TV's Coffee & hot water for tea are always available. The hot bfast which is served from 7-9am is the best I've seen anywhere and includes self-made waffles (plus toppings like whipped cream, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, syrup), scrambled eggs (w/toppings like salsa & shredded cheese), sausage hash, oatmeal (w/toppings like brown sugar, raisins, chopped walnuts), bagals, toast, muffins, yogurt & fresh fruit, orange & apple juice and fresh coffee. There are always plenty of two daily newspapers-local & national to relax in the lobby and read. Two nights per week there are manager receptions where treats are served. One we attended had ice cream, a variety of holiday cookies and fruit cake.

We stayed on the 8th floor with a lovely view of airport in the distance and city lights at night. The room had a perfect little kitchen/eating area plus writing desk, couch and lights everywhere including reading lights at both beds. We had two queen beds and each had it's own large screen tv on the dresser in front of it. There were plenty of plug-ins for recharging devices. It was unclear when rooms were cleaned and one day we missed it by having our "don't disturb" notice out at the wrong time. We were given extra towels & feather pillows when we requested them (but they weren't in the room when we arrived as we had requested on our reservation). The beds & bedding was perfect. Our room was super quiet and we only once saw someone else in an elevator though the breakfast area was quite busy in the morning. We didn't try the cook-top but the frig, freezer (w/ice maker) and dishwasher all worked wonderfully. The staff even loaded the dishwasher when we left dirty dishes in the sink!
The pool was heated enough that we were able to use it in December which we loved. It was a bit chilly once going in but after swimming around a bit, we warmed up and loved it. The hot tub/jacuzzi was very nice. There were towels pool-side and many chaise loungers as well as a couple of large tables where we could sit & eat a meal (we got carry-out) or play a game. Unfortunately the gas firepit wasn't working when we arrived and it sounded like it hadn't been working for a while and was full of cigarette butts.
The area is super convenient and just a block or two from a large variety of chain & independent restaurants. It is also across the street from a bus station and a bike rental shop where we rented bikes for the day. It's also near "A" Mountain which is a steep but short hike up a small mountain. It was about 30 min to a nearby mall (we needed to buy swim goggles & a pr of tennis shoes), the Phoenix Zoo and other activities. They were running a special deal on pricing so we got a killer deal. Full price would have been a bit much for us but for what a visitor receives in return, still a fair price. We had a rental car and were able to park in a covered garage which was connected to the hotel. We really can't say enough good things about this hotel. It made for a wonderfully, relaxing mini-vacation.

Room Tip: Our room on 8th flr was super quiet. Pool is on 11th flr.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

You are so kind. Thank you for taking the time to review our great new hotel in such detail. Anyone with questions that is looking to stay with us will have a great idea of what we are like by reading your review! I'm am happy to hear you enjoyed our facilities and even happier to hear that you enjoyed our staff. They realy work hard to ensure our guests have a positive stay on each and every visit. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Tempe!
~Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Staff was wonderful. Breakfast was great. Enough for everybody and staff continually replenished items as needed. Very clean facility. We chose the 2Q suite and it had more than enough room for the 5 of us. Beds incredibly comfortable. Bathrooms and kitchenette clean and stocked well. Rooftop pool and hot tub were wonderful. Loved the rooftop fire pit also. I would recommend this hotel and we will stay here again when we come up to ASU. Location is fabulous on relation to ASU.

• Stayed: November 2013

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. As a brand new hotel we are working very hard to ensure our guests are happy and want to return to stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of our hotel. See you next time! ~Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We had a great room on 11th floor down the hall, pool and Jacuzzi outside with great view from roof and also exercise room. Unfortunately they need to repair outside heater, this is a brand new hotel across the street from the stadium where the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl will be held. The staff was great and they assured us of a return visit. Great pricing and good breakfast.

Room Tip: 11th floor same floor as heated pool and Jacuzzi and exercise room. Also great view from roof, hopef...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip to our new hotel. You chose a great time of the year to visit the area. I apologize the firepit was not working while you were here - rest assured it has been fixed and will be waiting for you on your next trip to Tempe! Sincerely, Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My family and I stayed at the Residence Inn for 2 nights and I must say I that I was definitely satisfied and happy with my choice of hotel overall. In preparing for my graduation trip to Tempe, I reviewed several hotels and this hotel was appealing the most because it was new and literally right around the corner from the Wellsfargo Arena. Upon arrival, I was not let down from my expectations as to what I expect for a hotel to look like. The hotel is beautifully decorated. The pool and Jacuzzi deck was absolutely amazing because you could see the entire city and the infamous “A” in the mountains. It was everything that I wanted for my stay as it pertains to the hotel room. The hotel room was spacious and I really enjoyed the kitchenette because we had a 2 yr old who loves her milk and water at anytime of the day. The only request that we made during the stay was for more towels and they were delivered as soon as possible. I only had 2 issues during my stay and that was with the front desk staff and breakfast. The front desk staff was mediocre (not friendly/not mean). I’m not sure if the hotel gets a lot of African American visitors but the stares from the staff was awkward. Upon check-in, I asked the young lady if there was an upgrade possible and she stated no because a gentlemen had asked before me. That’s fine, however if you are fully booked I should not be able to go to my room (in the hotel) and check the internet for room status and the room that I’m requesting is showing available with a price. No big deal at this point, because my goal was to come, graduate, enjoy the city for a night and return home to Las Vegas. The continental breakfast was terrible for the requested room rates. I actually got sick from drinking the fake orange juice (orange juice drink). Overall my stay was good and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others depending on their needs. I may not return because I’m a customer service girl. I like and want to feel welcomed when I walk into an establishment that I’m paying to stay at and unfortunately I didn’t feel welcomed. My two requests would be for better customer service because I have no problems paying when the service is great and a better breakfast. For $100.00 per night, I expect more than fake orange juice and not cooked eggs. Even with a couple of complaints, the location is outstanding. Very close to Mills Avenue, several shops and restaurants!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hello! Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear that you found our hotel online and decided to book with us. I was also happy to hear that, for the most part, you enjoyed your stay with us. We are really excited to be Tempe's newest hotel and, you're right, this location really is a lot of fun. Thank you as well for your candid feedback regarding your experience with our customer experience. I completely agree with you, as the General Manager of the hotel I know that it is our level of customer service that is key to the success of our hotel. I have already talked with my staff here and used your comments as a training opportunity to do even better moving forward - so thank you. Sincerely, Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the hotel - I had to attend a meeting in ASU. Great location. There are dozens of restaurants along Mill Avenue just one block from the hotel. The hotel is relatively new and it did have a few bugs to be resolved (like a phone that doesn't have a cord connection). The free hot breakfast each morning was excellent and the employees very friendly. The room/suite was well laid out, although the bed was not a queen, but in fact a double.

Room Tip: Based on the hotel's location, I don't believe there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our new hotel. I wanted to let you know that I personally read each review as I find they are a great source of information about our guests 'true' experiences while staying with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your patience as we worked out a few minor things those first few months. I'd be interested in finding out which room you stayed in. I was involved in the bedding order for the hotel and we only ordered King and Queen sized beds (plus the double sized sofa beds). I'd like to make sure we got what we ordered, thank you for the information. See you next time you are in Tempe! ~Jeff (GM)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here two nights to attend an art festival on Mill Avenue in Tempe. Hotel just a block off Mill Ave. which gives it the perfect location for ASU activities and great places to eat and relax on Mill Ave. The hotel is well run and the staff very helpful. The rooms were surprisingly quiet despite all of the activity in and around the hotel. Rooms comfortable and spacious. Parking garage attached to hotel makes things very convenient.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PHXTD, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Hi Micki B.

Thanks for such a great review! We're so glad you enjoyed yourself at our hotel with its great location. With the Arts Festival just a walk up the street and ASU playing Stanford out our front door, it was a pretty busy weekend for us. We thank you for taking the time to express your positive feedback!

We looking forward to seeing you again at the Residence Inn Tempe Downtown.