“Excellent Hotel”

Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here recently and were very impressed with the location, friendly staff and room accommodations.
Great place for walking and sight seeing.
The rooms are well decorated in the more European Style which we like.
The staff was very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th Floor and for future reservations we have requested 8 or above as the views, espe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nicole H, Sales Coordinator at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review! We are lucky to be in such a great location within walking distance to multiple attractions and activities in Tempe.

We will share your great feedback with our associates as well.

Thank you for staying with us again and we hope you can come back and visit us soon!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Yes, great location, new and beautifully decorated. However, uncomfortably warm in the room. We were assigned a top floor room across from the gym. Noticed right away that the room was very warm, turned on the air conditioner, and went to dinner. Came back and it had not cooled down. Opened the windows the few inches they allow, probably for security reasons. Too warm to sleep. Called the front desk at 2:00 a.m. Got an apology and an offer to have engineering stop by the room first thing in the morning. Now, since I'm up at 2:00 a.m. dealing with the lack of ventilation, and ready to head back on the road at 8:00 p.m., does it do me any good? Seemed to me they are simply cutting costs by regulating the air conditioning at my expense. The reason I checked in to the hotel was to sleep, not to lay there and sweat all night. To add insult, they didn't even comp me for the parking. I would recommend you check in at some other place instead.

Room Tip: check the a/c works properly
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carmen W
Nick S, Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I wanted to personally thank you for staying with us. I too believe our hotel is in a great location and beautifully decorated; however, we are committed to providing more than just a new and lovely hotel, and I’m very sorry to hear about your troubles during your stay. It is our goal to make every guest as comfortable as possible, and I know how frustrating it is when you can’t sleep. Moving forward, we will test the air-conditioner in every room, because we want to ensure everything is working properly. I’m also concerned about the response you received to your problem. I completely agree that the solution we provided was not ideal. We have discussed alternative solutions with the front desk, because everyone deserves a comfortable night sleep. Again, I’m extremely sorry about your experience, and I thank you for your candid feedback. Your comments will help us prevent this problem from occurring again. I hope you will stay with us in the future, so we can provide you with the service you expect and deserve.

Nicholas Schulte (Operations Manager)

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Dear Jeff (gm), my husband is currently there on business and I just wanted to let you know how awesome David at the front desk is. He took a few minutes of his time to figure out a local place and left to go pick up some cupcakes to surprise my husband staying there. Now that is going above and beyond! My husband is enjoying his stay. thank you so much

Stayed: January 2014
Kari K, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review! We really appreciate the feedback.
I am so delighted to hear that David went out of his way to find a great cupcake place for you! David is amazing associate and I know he will be very pleased when we share your review with him.

We hope to see you again soon here in Tempe!

Thank you!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I LOVED this Residence Inn. It's brand new. Once I had the address, I went on Google Earth to see what it looks like, but at the time Google took the picture it was just a dirt lot next to a parking garage. I thought that that's a pretty small lot for a Residence Inn. When I arrived for my stay, I saw that Marriott had built straight up 11 stories. What a great job with the architecture.
Usually I find that Residence Inns only offer one bed and then the sofa can be pulled out into another. But this R.I., had rooms with 2 queen beds! That is why I chose to stay here. Normally if we have the whole family we don't chose a R.I. because there aren't two comfortable beds. Well the view from the room was very nice to the west. The new decor was terrific! I really like the back lighting of the bathroom mirror, the dimmer lighting above both beds, the movable pinpoint reading lights attached to the headboard, the dark wood kitchen cabinets with opaque glass fronts, the little movable table that serves as a TV tray on the couch. These were all things I noticed and appreciated.
I was most impressed with the top floor. Outside on the large patio were the swimming pool, whirlpool and big fire pit surrounded by comfortable, cushioned patio sofas. The views of my hometown, Tempe, were beautiful to me! The fire was large and inviting on the cold night. Truly a perfect Residence Inn.

Room Tip: This is one of the only Residence Inns that I have found to offer rooms with 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MsFire
PHXTD, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/University, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Hello! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such an amazing review about your experience. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the views of your hometown while staying with us.....It is a sight to see when you on the roof!

We hope to see you again soon!

Thank you!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Wow.
I travel often and MArriott is my favorite chain. Had a meting at ASU and Buttes had no availability so I stayed here.
It looked like a boutique hotel- not Residence Inn. Nice lobby. Rooms have Akea like kitchen with stainless steel appliances.
11 Flour has spa with view of PHX.
Hotel is walking distance to ASU campus, A mountain and Mill road.
Great stay

Room Tip: Get high floor room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank galedd

Thank you for your great review! We are very honored to be the best Residence Inn you have stayed at! As you stated, our location is within walking distance to ASU and Mill Avenue and we are thrilled to be in this location.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to hosting you on your next stay in the area!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I told my hosts at ASU that I'm moving in to the room. It has a real kitchen, super comfortable bed, awesome bathroom (great water pressure in shower; plenty of lighting and mirrors), free breakfast including healthy choices like oatmeal. Unfortunately there's no hotel restaurant, but they do have snacks and even bottles of wine for sale at the mini convenience store next to the front desk. Staff was super nice. I only wish I'd had time to use the pool and hot tub on the 11th floor with views of the mountains.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mamiford

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review and we are so glad that you had a chance to stay here with us! Our spacious suites are designed so our guests will feel like they are at home and can also enjoy a full kitchen!

I will also share your staff comment with our associates, they always appreciate any feedback and we have an amazing team here!

Thank you again for staying here with us and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Very nice, recently built hotel. Convenient location. Room was better by far than other Residence Inns. Very good breakfast. Rooftop pool with hot tub and fire pit very enjoyable even on a January evening. Arianna (sp?) at the front desk was terrific, but all the staff was top-notch. We originally booked at another Res Inn in Phoenix but canceled when we saw the condition of the place. This one was a lot cheaper and much nicer.

Room Tip: Any upper floor is good. Might want to stay away from rooms near the gym on the 11th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! We are very lucky to be in such an amazing location and the temperatures here in January are prefect as you stated for the pool and fire pit.

I will also share your feedback in regards to Adriana, I know she will be delighted to hear the comments you took the time to write. Thank you again for joining us here at The Residence Inn and we look forward to seeing you again soon!