“Excellent place to stay, but . . .”

Ramada Tempe Near ASU
Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“Excellent place to stay, but . . .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

My wife and I spent three nights here at a great rate ($60/night) but like another traveler we had reserved a King sized bed and were given only a double bed room-we were told they overbooked the kings. The locale was safe and convenient, the room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet was great-as previously described here plus homemade waffles! However, in three nights we could never sign onto the internet by WiFi. The signal was insufficient and the problem was never resolved. The suite was spacious, however, and the amenities like fridge and small microwave were very good to excellent. The greatest attraction was the cheap price for a clean and comfortable place to stay.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

After a LONG flight, I finally made it to the hotel. Being skeptical about the low rate I was amazed at how large the room was. It was clean and a billion times better than the last Quality Inn that I had stayed in. The staff was very accommodating and great with directions. I wasn't crazy about the location being that my work was out in Chandler, however after staying there I will DEFINITELY BE BACK. A GREAT STAY!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

This motel met all our expectations except one. The room was large and clean and had all the usual amenities. There's a pool and a hot tub. Breakfast is not fancy but certainly adequate and was ready early for our flight out. We got what I consider an excellent rate on Orbitz.

The one difficulty is that some websites still show this place as having a free airport shuttle. It does not! We chose the place for it's location (not much more than 5 minutes from the airport in Phoenix) and for the free shuttle. Although it was the hotel's mistake, they steadfastly refused to either pick us up or compensate us for one-way cab fare (about $20).

In any event, if you're OK without the shuttle, this is a very nice, convenient place.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hikeandread
Fremont, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

We arrived in after midnight for check in, the clerk was ready and wiling to help. My reservation was for a king bed but they gave us a room with 2beds which was great for us! This property is older, but has been updated. Our room had a living room with sofabed and then the 2beds in the bedroom with a door that closed in between. The beds in the bedroom were very comfortable/sheets were nice and clean, 4pillows on each bed, we slept great! The room had a larger fridge/microwave small sink area in the living room and 2tv's. The bathroom was redone in granite and it was very nice looking, the water pressure was great and had HOT water every shower! We did not use the pool but everyday we saw people in it and they were having fun! The breakfast was minimal, bagels/toast, 2types of cereal (raisin bran & fruit loops), hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, apples, donuts or pastry, assorted cheese cubes,orange juice (very good not watered down) and another juice which I did not try. They did offer cream cheese, jelly, honey, butter for the bread/bagels. I would have like some more fruit offerings besides apples, but overall it was a decent breakfast and filling enough! We paid $67.50 p/night, very reasonable for the accomodations and we would stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank toletiquesbysam
wli2184
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

What a terrible hotel and even worse staff.

I was so surprised at the quality of my room when I first got there. It wasn't an expensive hotel, but it came with a lot.

On my last day there, I came back in the evening and my pain medication was stolen. I had left it in the nightstand next to the bed. The housekeepers or whoever helped themselves into my room stole my medication and I cannot go without it.

I called the front desk and they acted so careless about it. I called the police and filed a report. The next day, I talked to management and they didn't seem to care. They didn't try and look into it and they said the owner would call me. I am still waiting for that call.

That hotel's thieving staff cost me a lot of money. I will NEVER stay there again and I would advise you to stay away as well.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank wli2184
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

We arrived late (around 11PM) to a very apathetic front desk clerk who made sure we understood we were bothering him. We were assigned a room for the handicapped though we neither requested nor needed it. The room showed clear signs of use, the upholstery on the chairs was torn, the bedspread was thin knit with what looked like ink stains on it. The sheets had the same ink stains on them. Mattress was clearly old and outdated as well. On the positive, the pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was interesting, large, because of the handicapped room status, but no sink. The only sink in the room was in the "living area" and it was way too high to reach for someone who was wheelchair bound. That made no sense to me. Back to the front desk clerk...we had trouble logging on to the internet and called for help from the front desk. The clerk said, "It should be working but I'll call them and see what is going on." No other information was offered. When I asked if he would call back he said, "I don't know what is going on but they should call you." That was it. No time, no indication of who "they" were, nothing. My husband is in the computer industry and eventually figured out what was wrong but neither the front desk clerk nor "they" ever called back. Good thing it wasn't life and death. The breakfast offering was dismal as well. Bagels, but only butter & jelly, no cream cheese. They offered hot water for oatmeal but none of the hot offerings I've had at other Quality Inns (such as biscuits and gravy, etc.). There was a small fridge and microwave in the room. The pool and jacuzzi area were nice. Overall, this was ok for the price we paid ($67) but not for anything higher nor for a longer stay than a day or two.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Front desk service, clearly worn furniture
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

Driving in, one can tell this hotel has good bones and may have been really a nice place to stay in its day. The rate was very attractive, about $53 with a AAA discount - so expectations should certainly be adjusted for the value. The suites were comprised of a two room setting. The front room at the window, far too cold with the a/c, and the back bedroom with no a/c, but an internal transom fan to get some air back there. We had the air at 55 degrees and the bed room still was stuffy and stale. The entire room had a whiff of mustiness, quite an accomplishment for an Arizona hotel room. The culprit was likely the new shower tile. It looks like the owners bought the "upgrade package" from Choice and just pasted it all up over the existing surfaces. There was very obviously moisture trapped behind the newly resurfaced shower walls. They should have gone for some new doors, too. The bed was fine. Televisions were Phillips - not so hot. Again, the place was not without redemption, a very attractive price, but there are too many choices in this area to settle for this one. We would not return.

• Liked — Layout of Buildings and Location
  • Disliked — Poor Air Circulation, Musty Smell to Room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business