“Good Service Doesn't Make up for Crummy Sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center

Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Southwestern US
“Good Service Doesn't Make up for Crummy Sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We were here for a weekend conference (Friday and Saturday nights) and suffered through loud, pounding noise from 9:30 pm to 2:30 am both nights. Even with earplugs, I could hear the roar from partiers. The hotel was sold out, so no switching to quieter room was possible. Staff commented that Tempe has 55,000 ASU students in the vicinity, implying that they were blameless. My take: Tempe is not a town for non-students or those without a compelling reason to be near ASU. The noise from the bars on Mill Ave is a fatal flaw: rooms that face 5th or Mill have no sound insulation (I noted single-pane windows in our room). I am normally oblivious to noise, but this level was exceptional. The good news: if you are looking for a party school, look no further than ASU. Those kids were having a wild time. Others in our group reported noise from a wedding on the property and from smokers on the second floor interior balcony. Good food might be another casualty of lots of student consumers in the vicinity. Food from hotel kitchen was mediocre. Rather a shame as the property handled our conference beautifully (no noise during daylight hours). The meeting rooms were well-organized and the central patio charming. Concierge helpful, valet parking well-run. But hard to get excited about a hotel where you can't get a good night's sleep. I hope I never spend a weekend here again. Not sure I'd risk a visit on a weekday either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Miss_W0rd
TempeMissionP, General Manager at Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Miss_W0rd,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback. I apologize that the noise disrupted your sleep during your recent stay. I would like you to know that I have been in contact with the City of Tempe and the Tempe Police Department about the noise issues from nearby establishments, and they will be enforcing the noise ordinances, particularly with the loud music that is piped to outdoor speakers. I know that this does not change your experience, but I hope you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it. I also appreciate your positive feedback about our staff, and will be sure to pass along your comments. Thank you again for letting me know about your experience.

Ken McKenzie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great hotel especially for corporate events. While it was full it never seemed it as is well designed. Loved the Snack Shack!!

(Unfortunately I find that i have to write a minimum of 200 characters for Trip Advisor which will mean I probably don't review again.)

• Stayed March 2014
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was at the Tempe Mission Palms for a medical conference. We were so impressed with the food we asked the chefs to join us so we could acknowledge their delicious meals and attention to detail. The rooms were quiet, spacious, and comfortable. The front staff was very accommodating and helpful. Room service was delicious and quick. The setting in the midst of palm trees and a lovely small town made for lovely walks, good food, and easy accessibility to local spots. Coming from Cleveland's ice storm, it was like the Promised Land.

Room Tip: Face the mountains!!

Dear bobswife1983,

I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your conference at Tempe Mission Palms so very much! Our chefs were thrilled to be recognized for their hard work, as they are an integral part of our conference service team. I’m glad you enjoyed your experience, and that the guest room met your expectations. We look forward to hosting your conference again, and hope that you will come visit us again for a relaxing vacation!

Ken McKenzie
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great location,within walking distance to restaurants, shops. Close to the airport. Very friendly and informative staff from time of booking to reception, concierge, ground keepers, all in all A1.Beautiful hotel with nice big comfortable rooms. I had a room overlooking the Courtyard which was especially inviting as there was a balcony door that opened with a view on the Courtyard. A big plus when a window or door opens, feeling less confined, frees the mind, relieves the stress.Well organized meals be it the breakfast, box lunch or buffet associated with the conference. Relaxing and regrouping with others at "Harry's" in the Courtyard, the fireplace, the palm trees,cleanliness, the weather...superb experience! Fantastic location for a conference or other, best location to get away from the harsh winter, couldn't ask for better climate, just wish my stay was longer.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great rooms, great location next to ASU and it's campus town great active courtyard and the snack shacks are the best for conferees. The staff couldn't be more helpful. I sprained my knee the last day and they did everything to relieve my distress. The concierge personally brought ice to my room.

• Stayed March 2014
Bourbonnais, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were coming from 40 below in Chicago and when we arrived to almost 70 degree weather and to such a warm and inviting hotel it was just a marvelous experience. The palm trees in the Courtyard, the fountain, and the warm and friendly staff that were always accommodating. We ate several times at "Harry's " with friends of ours and were never rushed.

The concierge was so helpful even before we arrived when I called to arrange for a car to take my son to visit the Grand Canyon. All the arrangements were made, I simply picked up the car at the hotel's entrance and dropped it off there. They took care of everything. The front staff also, was very accommodating with arranging for extra days that we stayed there. And they gave us the same price as when we were at the AAP conference!

The laundry and dry cleaning were done that same day and the clothes looked brand new when they were delivered to our hotel room!

I have traveled a lot over the years, to Europe and many different place here in the U.S. This was by far one of the best experiences I have ever had. I thank all those at Tempe Mission Palms for such outstanding service and care.

I was a tired pediatrician when I arrived and went home with renewed vigor and energy to go on taking care of the children.

Many thanks to all of you.

Mitchell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

The rooms were very comfortable and the staff friendly. We were here for business and the service was phenomenal. The meals and snacks were amazing and all eating areas were very clean. Very professional staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are easily accessible