“Excellent Service, Fantastic Accommodation, Tasty Eats”

Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The excellent service started from the moment I picked up my bags at the airport and called for a shuttle pick up. The guest service agent was friendly and informative. It's a short ride from Phoenix to the hotel and since it was my first visit I found it to be interesting.

Arrival at the resort was easy, bell hop service attentive and the hotel lobby striking. Check in was easy and I was thankful to get to my room. I found that to be impressive, not overly large but well appointed, comfortable with all the right touches and everything I needed. My room overlooked the courtyard and had doors that opened so I could enjoy a breeze, the view and the chatter of all the birds that reside in the very large orange trees.

There was a mini fridge, coffee maker, hairdryer and good quality body wash, shampoo and conditioner provided, along with a small supply of q-tips, hand soap and lotion. There were also a few sundries available.

As with most all hotels & resorts the menus are outrageously priced, but upon arrival I was too tired to go out so ordered room service. The food was good.

I attended a conference and found the venue was fantastic. I would highly recommend this property for planners seeking a great spot. There were plenty of break out rooms, and a large ballroom for the welcome and keynote presentations. I especially loved that our daily breakfast was provided in the courtyard and that there was a snack center for beverages and food items open continuously throughout the day for whatever anyone desired. It was always well stocked with healthy and tasty options.. something for everyone. Lunch was also provided daily and was delicious!

One of the items served during lunch was so good that in my direct response to the resorts inquiry of my stay - I asked for the recipe AND THEY WROTE BACK AND GAVE IT TO ME! Never did I really think they would take the time to 1. read my review / feedback and 2. actually provide the recipe! So Glad I asked.

If you're planning a trip to visit kids at ASU, or just heading to the area for a visit, stay here! One noteworthy item I mentioned above, there are a lot of birds who were a bit noisy. I typically travel with a fan for white noise while I sleep.. this was absolutely necessary.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room!
1  Thank scottieottie
Alison B, General Manager at Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear scottieottie,

Thank you for your recent review of Tempe Mission Palms on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, and the conference you attended. Our chef was happy to share that recipe with you, and I hope you enjoy it at home. Thank you for recommending our conference facilities and property, and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is quite grand. The courtyard is a relaxed area with plenty of different types of seating. The upper level pool is small but nice. The rooms are comfortable but small. Staff are pleasant and accommodating.
The best part is the location. You can absolutely walk to everything. We enjoyed the art museum at the college then walked to some fun bars. There was a good variety of restaurants with good food at reasonable prices.
We had a great stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Whether you're visiting for university business, a conference, a downtown activity, or just visiting for fun the location of this property is fantastic. My room was clean, tidy, and up-to-date with all the expected amenities in good order. The interior courtyard is an oasis with pool and bar and lush landscaping. I skipped the valet parking and parked my rental myself with no problems. Hotel staff were harried but friendly and helpful. I plan to stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Mill Avenue to the west -- not scenic and noisy. I prefer facing the inner courty...

Dear NickHeckel,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our location to be convenient, as we are the only full-service hotel located right on Mill Avenue. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed three nights at the Tempe Mission Palms. The courtyard and bar are thoroughly enjoyable, with cozy corners and attractive landscaping. The rooms are well appointed, and the pool area was festive. If you have a room facing 5th Street, do expect some noise from the bars. It will span 10 pm to 2 am. If you can't deal with Tempe's party spirit, request a room facing the courtyard or on the north side of the property.

Room Tip: Rooms on 5th Street are for those who want to share Tempe's party vibe.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chuck C
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the second time during spring training in 2014. Most of the comments I made in my first review are still accurate. It's a nice hotel and the location and courtyard put it above average. We would definitely stay here again.

This time we had a room that faced into the courtyard and it was everything that I thought it would be; having windows that opened into the courtyard was way nicer than having windows that looked out onto the street. The only drawback was that our room was over the bar/restaurant, which was very loud, so we couldn't have our windows open as much as I would have liked. I would definitely try to get a courtyard room in the future, but further away from the restaurant. In fact, I wish I could request a courtyard room when making my reservation--I would be willing to pay a little extra to guarantee a courtyard room.

They do seem to have improved the parking situation. We were given a parking permit upon check-in and didn't have to park with the valet. The parking lot was pretty crowded but we always found a spot (and if we couldn't find a spot, we still had the valet as an option).

The biggest negative to our stay this time was that there was some sort of conference there at the same time and the conference-goers were very loud and drunk. Some of them were having a party across the hall from us on both nights. I will say that the hotel was very quick about responding to the noise issues--we never had to complain, the hotel always intervened before we were at the point of asking for assistance. There was still more noise than we would have liked but I have to assume this was an anomaly and they aren't having conferences like this on a regular basis.

But, overall, we were still very happy with our stay. The room was spacious and clean. We love the orange trees in the courtyard. All of the staff that we interacted with were very helpful and friendly. And the location can't be beat if you are an A's fan, in for spring training.

Room Tip: Having a window that opens into the courtyard is a nice plus, but try to get one as far from the res...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Alison B, General Manager at Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Momrath,

Thank you for staying at Tempe Mission Palms again for your spring training vacation. I am sorry that you experienced some issues with noise from our neighboring establishments, but we are working with the City of Tempe to enforce the noise ordinances so our guests will not be bothered. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to your next stay with us! Go A’s!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a pleasant stay at this hotel. Room was ready and "defeathered" as I requested. Bed was quite comfy. Check-in was very fast - almost too fast. Wasn't given anything to confirm my rate and incidentals - they just handed the keys over and I was on my way. A little disconcerting - especially after the room + $150 incidental fee got charged to my card (and was reversed when I checked out). There's a parking valet but parking yourself is just as easy. The hotel layout is square with a nice, open courtyard in the middle. There was a wedding there the weekend I was there and it looked beautiful. The pool area - which I spent a lot of time at - was nice and clean. My one complaint is that the pool bar was closed more than it was open. Made it hard to get a drink and relax as I intended. You really can't beat the hotel location if you want to enjoy Tempe. You're a short walk to a lot of food and bar options on Mill Ave. Tempe Town Lake is a short couple of walking blocks as well. "A" Mountain (the ASU "hill" with the "A" on it) is right behind the hotel and is a bit challenging (very vertical!) but worth the trek. All in all, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, ask for a room near the elevator. The hotel is square so you may have a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for business and it was nice enough. The reception folks were very nice and helpful. The room was clean but the bed was kind of lopsided and I didn't really get much sleep. The bartender was really pleasant and made great drinks. All in all a nice place, but could use some new beds!

Dear rcjetskier,

Thank you for your honest feedback about your experience during your recent stay with us. I apologize for the quality of the bed you had in your room, but please know that we will be replacing all of our mattresses in the near future. I know this doesn’t change your experience, but I hope you can feel confident that we have heard your opinion and are doing something about it. Thank you for staying with us.