Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Gainesville, Virginia
“Good stay”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here two nights for business in the area. The rooms were large and nice and service was good. This hotel has a great location on Mill Ave and close to everything. I think it s a little over priced compared to other hotels in the area were are quite a bit nicer but you are paying for the location. Had a good stay but not sure if this would be tops on my list for a return trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Kent
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Good sized rooms with usual amenities. Decor a little dated but very clean and well maintained. Pool on 2nd floor with loads of sunbeds and shelter if you want it - believe me you do in this heat! Friendly staff throughout and right on the main strip with bars and restaurants.

Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wont come back here again. Went for a conference. Awesome location but way overpriced and I've been to way better hotels for much cheaper where you receive more amenities--FOR FREE. On top of the expensive hotel rooms here, you are charged a "resort fee" which I'm not really sure what that gives you. Access to the pool? Every hotel I've been to that has a pool allows guests to use it for free. You have to pay an absurd amount of money to use the "business center's" computers. They had a "snack shack" for conference members which left a lot to be desired. It seemed to be first come-first served. Old, stale bagels with no cream cheese and old, sticky, frozen butter packets. Coffee ran out consistently and there was no urgency by staff to correct any of these issues.

Lunches that were provided for conference members? If you weren't able to get to the line within 10 minutes, you didn't eat. Once the buffet trays emptied, they were not refilled. Or at least not during the extra 20 minutes I waited around for food that never arrived so I had to go to a restaurant down the street for food.

Room service? I suggest not doing that. Don't order breakfast there. It was awful. I had eggs and sausage one morning (sausage was like a gritty hamburger and my eggs were over cooked, brown from old cooking oil, and crispy overdone). Eggs benedict the next morning and the english muffin was stale and eggs were disgusting. These were NOT cheap items either.

Ordered room service for dinner... poor overall. A "caesar salad" for $7 to start (i LITERALLY counted 4 pieces of lettuce which came with a microscopic drizzle of what I presumed to be caesar dressing, and garnished with rock-hard, stale piece of bread). Then the "jumbo lump crab cake" for $12 which was a tiny greasy crab cake drenched in oil. The avocado mango shrimp tower was actually pretty decent and reasonably priced ($9). Came with 3 shrimp and an avacodo/mango mash-up.

Also, to add to room service--the room service waiters don't inform you that tax is already added to the bill. Once I received the bill he goes "Just add tax and total at the bottom, along with your signature and that's it". What a completely deceptive way to do business. I asked for a copy of the bill but they claimed that is something I would get at check out. Once I checked out, the itemized receipts were sent to me and it showed that customers were already being charged 18% gratuity and then being deceitfully lead on to believe that we needed to add tip at the bottom.

There are other hotel chains in the area that I've had better service and honesty with so I would advise going to one of those.

2 Thank MPHGirl23
Alison B, General Manager at Tempe Mission Palms Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Aubrey F,

I was concerned to hear about your experience during your stay for your conference. I do apologize that the snack shack was not stocked appropriately, particularly with the coffee. This should never happen during a conference. In addition, I apologize that the buffet was not refreshed in a timely manner. I will be discussing your feedback about room service with our Food and Beverage team, particularly about the tax and gratuities, as it is definitely not our intention to be deceptive in any way. Thank you for your honest feedback, as this is how we are able to make improvement to our guest experience.

Ontario, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was staying at Tempe Mission Palms for a four day training seminar held at the hotel. I have to say that I would pay my own money to visit it again. My room was spacious and clean, the drinks and food in Harry's were excellent and all of the hotel staff I came into contact with were friendly and efficient. Sure the coffee from the little pot in the room is awful, but the coffee over at the Mission Grill made up for it. One of the features I especially liked were the seating areas both indoors and outdoors in the courtyard. Comfortable places to sit and chat or read without feeling locked in a hotel room. Many local restaurants easy, as in a block or two, walking. Truly one of my favorite hotel stays for any reason.

Dear Gayle B,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Tempe Mission Palms. I’m glad you enjoyed our courtyard, which is also one of my favorite things about our property. We are working on replacing our in-room coffee makers, and hopefully next time you visit us, the coffee will be much improved. Thank you again for your feedback.

Bellinzona, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Perfect choice if you are visiting ASU. Very close to campus and right next to Mill Ave.
The staff was very friendly. Room was big and clean with all the needed necessities.
The rooftop pool is nice for relaxing, we didn't use the tennis court because it was too hot but it is there if you want.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cherry079
Limington, Maine
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The excellent service started from the moment I picked up my bags at the airport and called for a shuttle pick up. The guest service agent was friendly and informative. It's a short ride from Phoenix to the hotel and since it was my first visit I found it to be interesting.

Arrival at the resort was easy, bell hop service attentive and the hotel lobby striking. Check in was easy and I was thankful to get to my room. I found that to be impressive, not overly large but well appointed, comfortable with all the right touches and everything I needed. My room overlooked the courtyard and had doors that opened so I could enjoy a breeze, the view and the chatter of all the birds that reside in the very large orange trees.

There was a mini fridge, coffee maker, hairdryer and good quality body wash, shampoo and conditioner provided, along with a small supply of q-tips, hand soap and lotion. There were also a few sundries available.

As with most all hotels & resorts the menus are outrageously priced, but upon arrival I was too tired to go out so ordered room service. The food was good.

I attended a conference and found the venue was fantastic. I would highly recommend this property for planners seeking a great spot. There were plenty of break out rooms, and a large ballroom for the welcome and keynote presentations. I especially loved that our daily breakfast was provided in the courtyard and that there was a snack center for beverages and food items open continuously throughout the day for whatever anyone desired. It was always well stocked with healthy and tasty options.. something for everyone. Lunch was also provided daily and was delicious!

One of the items served during lunch was so good that in my direct response to the resorts inquiry of my stay - I asked for the recipe AND THEY WROTE BACK AND GAVE IT TO ME! Never did I really think they would take the time to 1. read my review / feedback and 2. actually provide the recipe! So Glad I asked.

If you're planning a trip to visit kids at ASU, or just heading to the area for a visit, stay here! One noteworthy item I mentioned above, there are a lot of birds who were a bit noisy. I typically travel with a fan for white noise while I sleep.. this was absolutely necessary.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank scottieottie
Dear scottieottie,

Thank you for your recent review of Tempe Mission Palms on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, and the conference you attended. Our chef was happy to share that recipe with you, and I hope you enjoy it at home. Thank you for recommending our conference facilities and property, and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is quite grand. The courtyard is a relaxed area with plenty of different types of seating. The upper level pool is small but nice. The rooms are comfortable but small. Staff are pleasant and accommodating.
The best part is the location. You can absolutely walk to everything. We enjoyed the art museum at the college then walked to some fun bars. There was a good variety of restaurants with good food at reasonable prices.
We had a great stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple