“I would stay here again!”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had to go to a conference in Phoenix.

The conference was held in another "resort" in Phoenix.

At 11:30pm, after switching rooms to no avail at this other resort (paper thin walls with loud droning A/C units preventing any sleep), I left and attempted to check in at The Buttes.

Reception was wonderful! They had me checked into a room in a matter of moments.

I got to my room and it was tranquil with a big soft beautiful bed with great linens!!!

Just what a hotel is supposed to be!

A great sleep and awake to see this magnificent property!

Beautiful pool!!! Great breakfast buffet, great bar, great food!

Someone mentioned a TV problem..... There is!? Unfortunately, it happened during the World Series!? The TV would go blank for about 40 seconds and then come back on. Kind of like it lost a signal. This was somewhat frustrating during the WS. If one of my teams had been playing it would have been beyond frustrating.

Everything else was spectacular!!!!

Clear up the TV issue and you have a real gem on your hands!!!!

I will be back (I usually don't watch much TV anyway)

Room Tip: My room was close to the spa facing the parking lot. It was super quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share how accommodating the property and staff can be. We really appreciate your detailed feedback as it only helps us get better. I promise we are doing what we can to try to identify the interruption in TV signal on property. I am not a baseball fan but I love football and if my game was interrupted I too would be frustrated. We are escalating this to see if we can identify the root cause and again it is because guests like your-self share the details we need to better handle the situation. We look forward to more visits and hopefully by the time you make it back this mystery is solved. Thanks again and see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,364)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was my third or fourth time staying at this location, however the first time with it being owned by Marriott. Check in was great and the staff was very helpful. Parking is easy but there is a long walk from the car to the room - this is disappointing after a long day of work, high heels and lugging the suitcase I had for a week of travel. In walking to the elevators, there is a stand with water, coffee and tea.

The room was a nice size and was clean. Granted, the rooms are a bit dated, but it definitely works. The desk area was a nice size as I had quite a bit of work to do.

The bathroom area is nice and large and the shower was great.

I had a room facing the freeway and I would recommend requesting one not facing the freeway as it is quite loud.

I enjoyed room service for breakfast and each day the staff brought my food on time and with a smile.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the property during my three day stay but from past experience, it is beautiful!

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the freeway
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for leaving a review in regards to your stay at the Buttes. We appreciate your time and even more your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not have a bellman help you to your room. The layout of the hotel is spread out, but we do everything we can to escort all guests to the rooms and assist them with the luggage - especially the ladies. I do hope that you get a chance to stay longer next time. I am sure we would get 5 stars if you had a chance to enjoy the beauty the property has to offer and amenities like the pool and patios we have throughout. We do hope to see you again - if you liked the rooms the first time, I know you will love the BRAND NEW remodeled rooms. Thanks again and if you are in the area again reach out to me in advance and I am sure we can help you enjoy the property even more than you did this last time. Thanks again.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Was at the Buttes for a week for a conference. Love the setting, had no real complaints about the hotel. Check in was simple, one of the bellman delivered my luggage to my room. You will do a lot of walking because of the layout, but I looked at it as burning calories. I was on the third floor overlooking the parking lot and highway. The noise didn't bother me, but it did bother others in our party. If you are a light sleeper, request a room facing the pool, I think it would be quieter.

The room was like any other hotel room. The bed was comfortable, and they actually had pillows that were soft and not plump.

Staff was excellent, very helpful, would recommend this resort/hotel.

Room Tip: Eat at the Market Cafe if you want to eat at the resort, food was good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your stay with us. It is very much appreciated and we hope you choose to stay again with us in the future. Thanks again

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I am a die hard Marriott platinum member and get to stay in a number of great hotels. The Buttes is located in Tempe on the most scenic part of the valley. Arriving you drive up the hill to the main lobby and are on top of a wild looking rock. The staff was very friendly and upgraded my room when I asked. The property has a great pool and recreation area in the center of the property. There are a couple of restaurants on site as well. The bar has indoor and outdoor seating with a nice view of the valley.

Rooms are nicely appointed, nothing special over your nicer Marriotts, This property is very secluded and quiet. I never heard another guest or door slam. Be sure to ask for an inner resort view if you have a lower floor and a valley view if you have a high floor. Lots of hiking trails and biking ops in the area. Spa located on the property, but didn't visit it.

I will stay here again when visiting the area. Nice safe place to stay.

Room Tip: High floor looking over the valley.
1  Thank AZPILOT

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and more importantly Thank you for being a valued Platinum Member with Marriott Rewards. We hope you continue to stay with us when visiting for ASU events. If there is anything you can think of that we can do better please let us know - we absolutely love creating memorable experiences for our guests and we look forward to being your choice destination when you are in the Phx Tempe area. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I do not typically write reviews, however I felt my stay at the Buttes deserved it! I stayed for a week on a work conference and could not have been happier. I do travel a decent amount and I have never seen a more accommodating staff. Every where I turned there was someone to help or guide me in the right direction (as the property was a bit tricky to navigate at first!) Although I was on a business trip, I thought maybe that was the reason for the friendliness, but I could see how helpful they were to all other guests as well. Thank you to all the staff at the hotel. Bravo!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others to see. We do a lot of group business and it is nice that we are able to provide a great get away for those traveling and working while you are working. It is our goal to ensure a vacation like stay no matter what the purpose of the trip may be. Thank you again and we hope you choose to stay with us on future leisure stays and that your groups chooses to return to us when booking another event. Thanks again - we appreciate it!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have been staying at this hotel almost every week since June, 2013, and have been continually frustrated by the television service provided. I don't know if they use a cable TV system or a Satellite TV system, but it has had a consistent problem with channels going in and out all evening long when trying to watch anything. The errors displayed on the TV screen say "Channel Temporarily Unavailable [61]" and "Channel Temporarily Unavailable [63]", and "Channel Unavailable [1]. Try watching a show that goes in and out about once every minute or two, is gone for a minute or two, then comes back on the screen. I have called the Front Desk to get someone to look at it, they say their Facilities Engineer is working with the cable/satellite provider, it works for an hour or two, then goes back into its poor behavior. I called twice this week on this issue already. My next step is to just go book a room at a different hotel. The hotel is being renovated and they appear to be doing new roofing as well. The renovations have not caused me any problems, other than one of the elevators being rebuilt. The property has a pleasant appearance overall, but I cannot ignore their poor television service any longer.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the central elevator core are quite a hike to and from the restaurants and Front Des...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We are truly sorry that we continue to fail to address the TV channel issues that you speak of - seeing how you are such a loyal and frequent guest of ours. We promise it is not without effort from our part. We have done everything to reach out to our provider to ensure that this does not continue to be a pattern in our service provided. We have upgraded and purchased extra receivers to have here on property instead of waiting for an issue to call and seek help. We do hope this helps us to be more proactive on our part and again we are sorry you have been bothered by this during your stays here. Thank you for continuing to stay with us. The staff appreciates your familiar face and we look forward to many more stays sir. Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed at this resort for two nights to take in the Arizona State University Sun Devils versus University of Wisconsin Badgers football game on September 14th. First the views from the resort across the valley were spectacular. Could see mountain ranges, planes coming and going. Most important the dining was immpecable from breakfast buffet to my birthday dinner at their Top of the Rock restaurant with 360 degree views. Food and service wonderful. Also other eateries like their sports bar great. My friend since third grade in Chicago flew in from Wisconsin as the Badgers are his undergraduate team, and for my birthday. That is why we dined out so much in Tucson and at the Buttes. My friend treated me to a wonderful spa treatment and the massage was so great that I told the masseuse she was not only a professional but had the hands of a true healer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your Birthday experience here at The Buttes for others to see and enjoy. We are so glad we were able to help you celebrate such a special occasion and that it was done to your satisfaction. We look forward to being your choice of stay when you are here in the area and thank you again.