“Beautiful property...Worst night ever.”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Boulder City, Nevada
“Beautiful property...Worst night ever.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I was here for an event last weekend, and I regret staying at the property. The property is beautiful, and delivers on its promises. The rooms - not so much. It may be a "resort" but it is still a Marriott. Here are the issues I encountered: We had the kid with us so we got a double room. Two queens? No, the cheap hotel offers two doubles, so my husband and I had to squeeze into the same one. Of course they overbooked the hotel...members of our party had their rooms given away. So we couldn't fix that.

To make up for the skimping, they have a six inch duvet on each bed. We're talking Tempe / Phoenix Arizona folks.. Who on earth needs a huge duvet in Tempe Arizona? We were each up at least once during the nights we stayed, drenched in sweat - we are not night sweat people - trying to get the A/C to 'kick' on. It's a duvet so it's all six inches of duvet - or nothing. Even when it's in the 70s out.

Finally, the bathrobes and towels: One bathroom in our room, and the towels were threadbare nightmares. Our friends had a suite. The room was ugly: gray and orange with angular designs and furniture, the room looked like an old Pan Am lounge with a bed with a huge duvet. As if that was going to solve everyone's problems.

Again, the property is beautiful. But if you actually want to ever sleep rather than just gaze at the skyline and declare yourself over a six inch duvet, miss this joint. Save your money and stay at the Hampton Inn just around the corner. The Hampton Inn chain has remodeled and its room are amazing.

Room Tip: The suites look like an Airline lounge. Watch out for the duvets
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
I would like to apologize for your disappointment in the guest rooms. While we agree that we are indeed ready for a renovation to update the rooms, however when it comes to bed sizes and the duvets - that is not something we are converting. I am sorry the perception upon arriving is that we had queen beds, but we do not. We offer rooms with two double bed or one king size. In regards to the bedding, duvets are pretty typical in Marriott properties, and in future we do offer a feather free option that is a lighter blanket for those who do not like the warmth a duvet has. Please in the future please let us know. These items are all easily fixable and we have alternative options available upon request. We are truly sorry that you did not like the rooms and should you like to discuss your stay further please feel free to reach out to the property directly. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Oakville, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Love this Resort!!
I stayed at this location this past weekend.
The staff was very pleasant and friendly.
From the checkin staff to the pool - bar waiters and of course the cleaning crew.

The hotel was very clean as well as the pool. Resort going thru upgrades but no noise issues at all.

The Top of the Rock had great food and service,
Amazing views at sunset and night time views on the outside deck area.

A++++

Room Tip: Great breakfast buffet. Great views up the walking path
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for leaving a 5 star review for The Buttes! We appreciate your stay with us and thank you for sharing your experience for others to see. We take pride here at the Buttes is having the friendliest staff and cleanest hotel in the Valey. Thank you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed here for a business trip recently. The service was wonderful. From the valet to the front desk to the bartenders -- Everyone was very kind and accommodating. They are renovating several of the rooms, I stayed on the 2nd floor and my room was not updated. The room wasn’t bad, nice spacious shower and comfortable bed with pillows. But the blinds do not close the whole way, they are just shutters over the windows and the outside light was shining in all night. There are also humidifiers in the hallways that buzz pretty loudly all night. My worst complaint however is the food. I had quesadillas from the lobby bar that were so salty, they were inedible. I had eggs and bacon the next morning from the market café that were slimy/greasy and the bacon was caked in salt. The only really good thing off the menu are the pretzel bites or the steak salad. The pool looked awesome too but I didn’t have time to check it out. The fitness center was nice. This hotel is 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your stay. I hope next time you get a chance to take a swim in the heated pool. It is so relaxing! I am sorry that the food was not to your liking. We do our best to provide healthy meals for our guests to enjoy. I am sorry we failed to do so and I will share this with the culinary team so that we can address these items you shared with us. Let me know if you are going to say again so I can personally make sure that your next stay is perfect. Thank you again.
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had to go to a conference in Phoenix.

The conference was held in another "resort" in Phoenix.

At 11:30pm, after switching rooms to no avail at this other resort (paper thin walls with loud droning A/C units preventing any sleep), I left and attempted to check in at The Buttes.

Reception was wonderful! They had me checked into a room in a matter of moments.

I got to my room and it was tranquil with a big soft beautiful bed with great linens!!!

Just what a hotel is supposed to be!

A great sleep and awake to see this magnificent property!

Beautiful pool!!! Great breakfast buffet, great bar, great food!

Someone mentioned a TV problem..... There is!? Unfortunately, it happened during the World Series!? The TV would go blank for about 40 seconds and then come back on. Kind of like it lost a signal. This was somewhat frustrating during the WS. If one of my teams had been playing it would have been beyond frustrating.

Everything else was spectacular!!!!

Clear up the TV issue and you have a real gem on your hands!!!!

I will be back (I usually don't watch much TV anyway)

Room Tip: My room was close to the spa facing the parking lot. It was super quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share how accommodating the property and staff can be. We really appreciate your detailed feedback as it only helps us get better. I promise we are doing what we can to try to identify the interruption in TV signal on property. I am not a baseball fan but I love football and if my game was interrupted I too would be frustrated. We are escalating this to see if we can identify the root cause and again it is because guests like your-self share the details we need to better handle the situation. We look forward to more visits and hopefully by the time you make it back this mystery is solved. Thanks again and see you soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was my third or fourth time staying at this location, however the first time with it being owned by Marriott. Check in was great and the staff was very helpful. Parking is easy but there is a long walk from the car to the room - this is disappointing after a long day of work, high heels and lugging the suitcase I had for a week of travel. In walking to the elevators, there is a stand with water, coffee and tea.

The room was a nice size and was clean. Granted, the rooms are a bit dated, but it definitely works. The desk area was a nice size as I had quite a bit of work to do.

The bathroom area is nice and large and the shower was great.

I had a room facing the freeway and I would recommend requesting one not facing the freeway as it is quite loud.

I enjoyed room service for breakfast and each day the staff brought my food on time and with a smile.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy the property during my three day stay but from past experience, it is beautiful!

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face the freeway
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for leaving a review in regards to your stay at the Buttes. We appreciate your time and even more your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not have a bellman help you to your room. The layout of the hotel is spread out, but we do everything we can to escort all guests to the rooms and assist them with the luggage - especially the ladies. I do hope that you get a chance to stay longer next time. I am sure we would get 5 stars if you had a chance to enjoy the beauty the property has to offer and amenities like the pool and patios we have throughout. We do hope to see you again - if you liked the rooms the first time, I know you will love the BRAND NEW remodeled rooms. Thanks again and if you are in the area again reach out to me in advance and I am sure we can help you enjoy the property even more than you did this last time. Thanks again.
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Was at the Buttes for a week for a conference. Love the setting, had no real complaints about the hotel. Check in was simple, one of the bellman delivered my luggage to my room. You will do a lot of walking because of the layout, but I looked at it as burning calories. I was on the third floor overlooking the parking lot and highway. The noise didn't bother me, but it did bother others in our party. If you are a light sleeper, request a room facing the pool, I think it would be quieter.

The room was like any other hotel room. The bed was comfortable, and they actually had pillows that were soft and not plump.

Staff was excellent, very helpful, would recommend this resort/hotel.

Room Tip: Eat at the Market Cafe if you want to eat at the resort, food was good.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regards to your stay with us. It is very much appreciated and we hope you choose to stay again with us in the future. Thanks again
Tucson
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I am a die hard Marriott platinum member and get to stay in a number of great hotels. The Buttes is located in Tempe on the most scenic part of the valley. Arriving you drive up the hill to the main lobby and are on top of a wild looking rock. The staff was very friendly and upgraded my room when I asked. The property has a great pool and recreation area in the center of the property. There are a couple of restaurants on site as well. The bar has indoor and outdoor seating with a nice view of the valley.

Rooms are nicely appointed, nothing special over your nicer Marriotts, This property is very secluded and quiet. I never heard another guest or door slam. Be sure to ask for an inner resort view if you have a lower floor and a valley view if you have a high floor. Lots of hiking trails and biking ops in the area. Spa located on the property, but didn't visit it.

I will stay here again when visiting the area. Nice safe place to stay.

Room Tip: High floor looking over the valley.
1 Thank AZPILOT
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and more importantly Thank you for being a valued Platinum Member with Marriott Rewards. We hope you continue to stay with us when visiting for ASU events. If there is anything you can think of that we can do better please let us know - we absolutely love creating memorable experiences for our guests and we look forward to being your choice destination when you are in the Phx Tempe area. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!