“Beautiful Mountainside Resort With Stunning Views”

Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beautiful Mountainside Resort With Stunning Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Enjoyed our 1 night stay here so much! We were visiting this property for a wedding but decided to make it an overnight staycation. Great idea! The property was beautiful with stunning 360 degree views of the valley. We got a room with Camelback Mountain views. The hotel is older but seems to have been recently renovated. We also ate at one of the many restaurants on site. We had gorgeous views from the restaurant as well. The staff was super friendly especially at checkin. The hotel has hiking trails. If you love desert, mountains and stunning views this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Any room with city views will do just fine. Simply stunning!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback in regards to your stay here at The Buttes. We appreciate your stay and again thank you for everything. We look forward to other visits.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Every now and then I have such an exceptional stay at a Marriott to warrant an email to the General Manager. My stay at The Buttes July 14-16 was one of these stays.

Originally I had reserved two rooms for this time period at the J.W. Desert Ridge as part of my sister's surprise birthday trip to Arizona. However what made me change the hotel to the Buttes was not that it offered more luxurious accommodations, a bigger pool or this hotel was newer. It was simply that The Buttes is unique. How often does a guest get the opportunity to stay in a hotel built into the natural landscape like The Buttes? Not very often. The natural beauty of the resort offers guests a differentiated travel experience. That was the deciding
factor in changing my reservation.While it is an older resort, the rooms have been renovated and are top-notch. They also include the famous Marriott bed.

We dined outside at the restaurant two nights, overlooking the city. INCREDIBLE VIEWS! We even had a kitten to come around and "bother" our table for food. It was cute, and added to the hotel experience. I wanted to take it home.

However it is really the people of a hotel or resort that makes the difference. Our server at Top of the Rock, Rachel, was exceptional in every sense. Outgoing, personal and professional, it was a pleasure having Rachel as our server was a pleasure, so much so that we asked for
her the second night at your restaurant. Front Desk Manager Cheryl Amundson also contributed significantly to the success of our stay. Although we had an early misunderstanding regarding the room rate, she quickly recovered and clarified the situation by giving me options that work the best for me. Cheryl was also professional and very helpful with all my questions - an asset to the resort.

If I am again in the Phoenix area, I would certainly choose The Buttes as my hotel, and recommend it to others. Thank you and your staff for helping make this trip one worth remembering.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the nice feedback in regards to your stay here at the Buttes and the wonderful staff you encountered. We take pride in hving the friendliest stff in the Valley. It is great when a guest, like yourself, takes the time to recognize the staff so that we can share it with them. We will share this with the team and we hope that you have the chance to come back and visit us again. Thank you!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

An very nice older property (built in 1986) with friendly and helpful staff close to I-10 and close to PHX airport. When we arrived it was raining and there were a number of leaks noticeable through out the property however it did not impact our stay. Although some portions of the property need renovation, the hotel is nicely designed and landscaped. The location on the buttes provides nice views and the property has a number of waterfalls feeding heated pools and whirlpools. Despite it's proximity to I-10 and Tempe, the Buttes can give one the sense of being remote. Highway noise is noticeable from some locations on the property but the buildings, rocks, and water falls hide the noise in most areas. The restaurant is excellent. We had dinner in the bar and found the food delicious. The breakfast buffet is very good and if you are a chocolate lover, ask the line cook for a triple chocolate waffle. We enjoyed our stay and would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool, these are quieter. We did not hear any road noise from our room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experence here at the hotel. We appreciate your feedback and appreciate your time. We do hope that you get to stay with us again in the future. Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very clean,great service,and the pools are beautiful. The 2 pools with water slides and canal is heated to a wonderful 84 degrees so it can be used year round. There are 4 hot tubs disbursed throughout the mountain side to give you the feel of wilderness. The outdoor bar was closed this weekend due to the rain but it didn't stop us from swimming. Definitely a place I will be returning to again!

• Stayed November 2013
We appreciate your stay here at The Buttes, and thank you for taking the time to share another great experience here at the Buttes. We appreciate it. It is nice for others to experience the property through such great reviews. It is nice to share such great service comments with the team here. We love celebrating great service stories with the teams. Thank you again for everything.
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Great location and beautiful property, but this Hotel is under staffed, under trained and lacks customer service skills common in most Marriotts of this level. It's been a series of little things that all added up to compel me to leave this review.

One big thing was that on the two nights of my stay, rooms 3100 to 3160 leaked water due to roofing renovations. I'm talking serious leaks in the rooms and in the hallways. Shoes and socks sopping wet from inches of water.

There have been several missteps in service here, but the kicker is that my reservation was for three nights, but on the morning of the second day, I received my checkout notice. Since I was supposed to stay another night, I called the front desk. I asked why and they said they had left me a message in my room on the phone, but no light and no message in the system.

When I asked why nobody told me about having to move rooms, the supposed front desk manager said, we'll I'm telling you now in a rude and aggressive tone. Now to be fair, I was upset because of the lack of communication and the attitude of the staff as if I was inconveniencing them by asking for service.

When I expressed my concerns and lack of service he said, "people have been complaining all night... What do you want me to do about it?" Since he obviously didn't have proper hospitality training, certainly not common with marriott and my requests to speak with a manager went unanswered I turned to social media. (FYI as a frequent traveler I've literally stayed hundreds of nights, produced many events in marriott hotels) I'm in room 3158 at least for a couple more hours and looking forward to speaking with someone that actually cares about the customer.

Update... Spoke to the morning manager named Warren... He says there were no notes in the system about staying another night. I explained that I was told on two other occasions that I was confirmed for the third night, but that I may have to renew my keys for the additional night.

After explaining that no one gave me any notice, instructions or keys to a new room, he threatened me with canceling the additional night and said to stay in another hotel. Great service response especially when it was their mistake in the first place. I'm gold with Marriott... No big deal, but I've stayed in Marriotts over 250 nights in my career and have never receive such a lack in service on many levels. Buyer beware.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ford S
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with others. I am truly very sorry that there were issues in your guest room and stay. Water leaks are never fun to deal with for the guest or the staff. There are some details missing that should have been better handled by the staff and I am so sorry that we did not handle the situation to your expectations. We can do better and I am sorry again that we did not handle this situation better. Thank you again and should you choose to give us another chance please reach out to me personally as I would love to ensure that your next stay is much better next time. Thank you
SAINT LOUIS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I'm not sure what this hotel wants to be: convenient from the airport (though not 'to' the airport as I'll explain later), I was expecting a typical airport hotel; nothing fancy, shuttles, chain restaurants nearby. Instead I got a 'resort', designed to be isolated, keep you on property - a 'get-away-from-it-all' kind of place with rooms, meetings, and dining sprawled across the property in separate buildings.

Except here's the deal: It's smack dab in the middle of a freeway interchange and next to the airport. Every time you step outside, you're met with a wall of traffic noise. The property is on a butte, a few hundred feet above it all, but your vista is that of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Not that the property is lacking in its own noise production. Travelling from the east, I was ready to turn in earlier than the party crowd at the pool and got an earful of squeals through my patio doors. And, yes, as another reviewer pointed out, the A/C is noisy.

On check-in, I asked the desk staff for directions to my room. Instead, they sent me back out to the bellhops and was told they'd direct me. Having worked at resorts for three years, I can tell you EVERYONE should be able direct a guest anywhere on the property.

Later, I was interrupted while working by a staffer bearing a toy shovel, M&Ms, and an apology from management for the construction (which, frankly, I had not noticed). This was followed closely by the in-room dining staff calling to ask 'how is your meal?' while I was still eating it! If I wanted a fawning waitstaff, I'd have gone to the restaurant. (It was great BTW. A bright spot in the stay). A tip to all hotel management - an unexpected knock on the door or phone call from the hotel is never viewed as a good surprise.

None of this is the staff's fault. Management has apparently systematized things to the point of faux 'service'.

Finally, I was relieved I had given myself plenty of time to the airport as the property's isolation in the butte made taxi service unreliable (another reason for a shuttle). I eventually called my own cab and even then they hadn't heard of the property.

In short, the location makes it a poor choice for resortists, the attitude, a poor choice for business travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave details about your recent encounter at our property. I am sorry that we are not what you were expecting and we do hope that you get a chance to come back and better enjoy what the property truly has to offer. We take pride in the cleanliness of the property and the staff friendliest. Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This has to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed out. My organization held a conference here and I am already trying to think of when we can host another event to be held here at this resort.
The entire property is just magnificent; the views are amazing. The restaurant has a incredible patio area with a view of the mountains which is just breath taking. The pool is very unique and a great size.
Service was top notch and very accommodating and friendly. My room was pretty far from the lobby but the hotel offers, at pretty much any time, to drive you by golf cart to the far end of the property where the rooms are located. Lots of places to sit outside and relax and enjoy good food, drinks and time visiting with colleagues or friends.
Rooms are very clean and spacious.
Hotel is also very close to the airport. If you are staying in Tempe I cannot recommend this hotel any higher.
A must stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mdtinos
Michelle S, Director of Rooms at Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for leaving a 5 star review for us here at The Buttes. It was our pleasure to provide you an outstanding stay and we look forward to many more. Thank you for sharing your delightful experience for others to see. We look forward to being your choice destination when in the Tempe area. Thanks again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tempe
South Mountain
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Been to Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes? Share your experiences!