“Expected more but great customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall

TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Tampa, Florida
“Expected more but great customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I expected more from this chain because of the price point between this and Springhill next door (sister property) - it was 'sold' as a better property because of it's full kitchen and complete breakfast in the morning. And all that was true - nice big kitchen! But the rooms itself (no King beds in any of their regular suites) are small (compared to another sister property - The Residence Inn).
We stayed 2 nights and redeemed our points (only 20,000 for both nights). I had the impression we were given a less than perfect room due to not paying for it (?). It had a view of the parking lot, in the middle of the corridor, and the worst - it had a definate smokey smell. The first evening the a/c would not go under 75 degrees - we were up all night trying to adjust as it was very hot that weekend. In the a.m. I called the front desk to see if they had a safety or 'green' hold to keep guest from cranking the a/c during the dog days of summer (?) Instead, the gentleman at the desk made it seem as if he knew (already) - "maintenance had been told before". I also mentioned the room smelled smokey/musty and asked to move. We moved into the next room over and it definately smelled fresh and the a/c worked like a charm.
Another issue was the huge gap under the door - about 2 inches - on all their rooms. You could hear everyone traveling down the hall and everyone in their rooms when wallking through.
The best part of staying here was the pool - although a couple returning from said pool felt differently. A good looking couple, the gentleman shirtless, said "we should warn you - the pool is small and ghetto" and exited into his room while his companion giggled. And although to some degree, I agreed after my first impression of entering into the pool area - drunk woman, floating in an intertube with a glass bottle of beer, children running about, and the man looked a bit rugged himself. And while walking in a public corridor sans a shirt isn't exactly non "ghetto" where I come from - drinking a beer in a pool or anything with glass is definately not smart.
There is a nice picnic/bbq area with water sprayers which helped bring down the heat and the pool the next day was quiet and relaxing.
The breakfast was one of the best I've seen (not a Hampton).
Overall I'm a little upset over the a/c the first night and the smokey room - more so since I wasted my rewards points for such a room.
The staff was excellent, especially the housekeeping supervisor. I probably wouldn't stay here again but I wouldn't give up on the brand in the future.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are 2 bedroom suites and not much more ($$) - I redeemed my points and wasn't allow...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jason S, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It is through the comments and suggestions from our guests that we are able to improve and continue providing great service. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and for staying with us. We value our Marriott Rewards members and would never knowingly place any guest in a less than perfect room. I hope that you were able to take advantage of our evening dinner social, upgraded internet, business center, fitness center, and other numerous amenities available. I hope that if in the Tempe area again you will give us another opportunity to provide the level of service and product that we have become known for.
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

There were not many reviews about this hotel, so I wanted to add one. The hotel is very close to Arizona Mills. It is also convenient to the airport and to the freeway. It is located in Tempe which is just a short ride up to Scottsdale without having to pay some of the high room charges up there. I had a 2 bedroom suite which was very clean with a nice kitchen. My room was quiet and I did not hear any outside noise. There were 2 TVs, one in the living room and 1 in one of the bedrooms. There is a small gym which was clean. It included two treadmills, one elliptical and one bike. There is a business center with 2 computers. I personally did not care for the pool which was small and not really big enough to swim if there are a few people in there. There were some hot choices on the breakfast bar along with your usual cereal, yogurt, toast etc. My one complaint is that I thought the breakfast person was a little inattentive and disappeared for a while during the peak time leaving a lot of things empty for a bit. All of the front desk staff were friendly and very helpful with directions.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

In the midst of a relocation with my company, they put me up in this hotel for my first week in town. Excellent place. Somewhat odd placement of the flat screen tv in the room, but other than that the suite was great. The price was very reasonable too. The breakfast was average, though a very nice assortment of the pour it yourself waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels, etc. Excellent grounds, very safe and secure. Beautiful inside and out. Not suprised to see no negative reviews so far. Being someone that has traveled more for business than the norm, best price for a top notch stay I have found. If you are visiting Phoenix, Tempe, or the East side of the city, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband and I stayed for a week with our 3 teenagers. We booked 2 rooms and the room for our kids had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. Both rooms were immaculately clean and re-supplied with clean towels and amenities every day. Breakfast was great, evening appetizers delicious and the gym was equipped nicely. I am planning to use the shuttle to go to the airport later today. I would definietly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda M
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed more than a week with our 2 little boys in the extended stay suite and it was a wonderful vacation.
The room is clean, beds are comfortable, breakfast is excellent, staff is nice (responsive to all our requests).
The only minor improvement needed is the room maintenance staff (e.g. sometimes they forgot to leave 4 clean towels, sometimes forgot to throw the garbage bag, etc.) - missing attention to details. But once we queried for help - they immediately responded with good spirit.
We would visit them again - no doubts.

Room Tip: The suite in room 211 had very low WiFi signal, but maybe it was already solved.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family