“Shame All Hotels Can't Be this Great”

SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 24 August 2014

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in! The picked me up from the airport in a shuttle that also takes guests to nearby shops and restaurants. My car rental store was a tiny bit out of their range, but the clerk made an exception I was grateful for. I requested a quieter room when I checked in and was upgraded to a suite on a middle floor and never heard one plane the entire time I was there. My room was fantastic with a wrap around couch and mini bar complete with a mini refrigerator. The exercise room was better than average and well stocked. And breakfast was incredible! There were so many great choices - packets of Nutella, chocolate and caramel coffee creamer, quite a few varieties of yogurt, and even fresh strawberries. They also had little bags to make it easier to take your food with you. I'd go out of my way to come back to the Phoenix airport to stay here again - it's that good.

Room Tip: A room on a middle floor will keep you from listening to planes go by.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Oh my goodness when SpringHill Suites as a brand rolled out the new standards for breakfast I couldn't help but be so excited for everyone to see it! It is really a wonderful spread, and even better being included with the room rate! I am so proud the staff took care of you like a great friend and your comment of making a special trip to the Phenix airport just to see us is an amazing story I can't wait to share with the whole team. Thank you so much and take care!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Managers of this hotel must be applauded for their screening and/or training of the employees that work at this property, right down to the maids. They all (3 shifts worth on my stay) seemed very genuine in their interactions with guests, meaning it wasn't a front or a show, you know the fake smiles, etc. I felt genuinely welcome at this property.

I also like the fact that Marriott had it well documented that this property is being renovated, nice heads up to those looking to book here. For anyone that has complaints about the renovation, I would just say to them, READ READ READ.

The room I was in was very comfortable. The only thing I would say negative, is the lack of electrical outlets near the bed. Not just for this property, but one thing that I feel lacking for most all Hotels after renovation is the lack outlet availability. At the very least decorate with lamps or tables that have additional outlets.

The van service to/from the airport was prompt, also available for trips within 3 miles of the hotel plenty of restaurants/bars shops in that distance.

The hotel is right under the path of the Phoenix Airport aircraft, I did NOT hear anything inside my room. It is noisy outside, but for airplane enthusiast great for taking pictures of aircraft.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

We love our team and the energy just bounces all around to bring the happiest people to be serving you! Thank you so much for the review and your details, and yes even myself traveling always have issues with outlets! With the more technology needed to be charged you would think updates to living spaces would make it easier instead of harder. I hope your travels bring you back to us soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Came to visit our son at ASU and decided to stay at this hotel. Staff services were outstanding - friendly and friendly; complimentary breakfast bar was EXCELLENT with lots of choices; newly renovated rooms - comfortable and quiet; highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Tempe, AZ

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We are very close to ASU and hope your son enjoys the college! Tempe is a wonderful area and we are so glad we got to be your hotel of choice! Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! Although I haven't stayed here (yet) my review is on the great customer service. My event I was supposed to attend in Arizona got rescheduled. I had called 10pm to cancel my reservation from a third party. Diego was very quick when I called for help and through my third party booking he was able to accommodate me. Being in the hospitality business, I just wanted to recognize how on point they are with valued customer satisfaction. Somethin that is kind of hard to find these days. Thank you Diego!

Stayed: August 2014
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Probably our first review of a guest that has not been here yet, but I am glad you are already experiencing what everyone talks about us for! We really have great people who love doing what is best for our current and future and guests! Glad we could work everything out and we can't wait to meet you.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Check in was at best so so. The staff and managers were adamant about not allowing hot breakfast until 7:00 because it was a Saturday. According to the manager on duty it is Marriot policy. I doubt that the manager will go too far because he is not into helping people and solving problems only deferring blame to the corporate headquarters.

I am thinking twice about continuing to book Marriot properties on future travels. I can’t get a hot breakfast may as well spend less on room and use leftover cash for breakfast.
What can I say? Returned to the room at about 2:30 to 3:00 room not ready. Thought it because
I did not put clean room sign in the door so I put the little sign in the lock. Apparently it means that we do not want the room cleaned. That late in the day one would think that it would have been done. My mistake. I pointed out problem to front desk, she told me I should not have done that. She did arrange to have room cleaned and a guy was at the room and getting it ready within a few minutes.

The room was O.K., but I am probably not the best person to rate anything about this facility. The trip was a social success, but the problems with the staff here made the good be at best crummy.
Also at this facility, if you are here in the summer, be sure your room is not on the 1st couple of floors if your room is close to the swimming pool. People at the pool can be heard even at a conversational level.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a response in regards to your recent stay with us. Our breakfast is served daily Monday through Friday 6:00AM - 9:00AM and on the weekends from 7:00AM - 10:00AM. I apologize that the food items such as our Muffins, Fruit and Cereals were not enough to hold you over until our breakfast started. We put these select items out early as they do not need to be prepared by a certified food handler and are good for people that are in a hurry to begin their day. We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously.

You're a valued customer Ray and we hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area. Please feel free to contact the hotel if you wish to discuss your stay in more detail.

Kind Regards,

The Tempe TownePlace Suites by Marriott

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Front desk was always above and beyond. Initially I thought I was going to be disappointed because the pool was warm and seemed dirty but it was over 100F outside.
The second day the pool had been cleaned and nice rolled towels set out. They piped in music for you and it was relaxing. Convenience store right next door if you need anything.
Good access to the interstate. Close enough to airport as well. Shuttle service was stellar, took me to a great sports bar with a great burger and great locals. I would probably stay again.
Room was decent, a bit older it seemed but clean enough. One big complaint are the pillows, way to soft. Overall a good choice in Tempe. Plenty of places to eat and grab a beer close by.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Amanda_L_Marshall, Manager at SpringHill Suites Tempe at Arizona Mills Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

The pool is a wonderful place to relax and I am glad you found a great peace all around the area with us and our services! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family stayed in this hotel on our way back to Texas from our vacation in California. We always stay at Marriott brands because I'm a rewards member, but I guess I should have known better considering we got a rate of $79 a night....the old saying, you get what you pay for, definitely true in this case. Wasn't real excited about the location to begin with, however upon entering the hotel, I was greeted by Jordan and he was very polite, Unfortunately that is the only good thing I can say about our stay...I had requested a high floor, instead got a room on the first floor. There were no rooms available on a higher floor that would accommodate my family. Decided to let it go since it was later( around 8pm) getting checked in. As soon as we rounded the corner for the hallway a horrendous wet dog smell filled the air. As if that wasn't bad enough, we opened the door to our suite and get hit with the smell of cigarette smoke that had tried to be masked by cleaning, but not successful!! Pretty sure this is a non-smoking hotel.....it was awful!! The bed and pillows were extremely uncomfortable and breakfast the following morning left much to be desired. Needless to say, I am glad we were there less than 12 hours and I would not stay there again, no matter what the price!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie A

We appreciate our reward members and love that you are in the Marriott family with us! It seems one imperfection after another really made this short stay with us not what you needed, and it is my honest word that I have worked with the teams to better reinforce our standards and goals that come down to pleasing our guests. I do hope that your faith in the brand can be mended, I would love to be the one to prove it to you when you come back and feel what so many of our regular guests love and won't go anywhere else!