“Good location, good breakfast, good service, a tad shabby, overpriced?”

Residence Inn Tempe
Ranked #34 of 53 Hotels in Tempe
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I travel a lot and am not super picky -- I realize that one's experience at a hotel can vary widely by time of year, which room you get, which staffers happen to be on duty, etc.

That said, I was disappointed with this hotel for the price. I paid about $300 for a 2-bedroom suite, as I was a mom traveling with my teenage son. Our room was in Building 10. It had last been decorated in the late 80's or early 90's. This doesn't bother me, but the dust on the HVAC register , the grime on the tabletops, and the hairs in the bathroom do. I would normally ask the housekeepers to clean the room again, but frankly, was unnerved by the sight of the Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement bus in the parking lot, coupled with a swarm of tense uniformed ICE officers. Their Greyhound-style bus was shiny and hew, and all the windows were painted over. I wonder what they do to people in there.

On the plus side, the desk staff is very friendly and accommodating, the location is convenient to ASU without being caught up in the campus bustle, and the full., hot breakfast (included in the price) was actually pretty darn good. So this hotel is probably a pretty good deal for businesspeople who get discounted rates for long stays. Not sure if I would stay here on "pleasure" again. I would probably dirve a little further and stay in one of the resorts.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Auriel_Swacker

Reviewed 12 October 2007

The Residence Inn is located a short drive from the Phoenix Airport. The property sits across from a large shopping mall at the busy intersection of Darrow Drive and Priest Drive. Despite the traffic and mall I found the Residence Inn to be ideal. Working on the road as often as I do, I often find it hard to feel relaxed in a room. The Residence Inn provides a traveler ample space, couch, love seat, fire place, desk, and full kitchen.

You can be certain that that this is not a luxury property; however it provides you with all the necessities and more. Additionally, all staff I came in contact with very kind, professional, and prompt in taking care of my needs. I have stayed at many 5 star properties that could not manage to do that right.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for regular traveler or extended visitor. For the price you pay this is a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Mlogs
Reviewed 28 March 2007

The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and out-of-thier-way helpful. The location felt safe and was conveniently located. I would definately stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2007

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Tempe from February 15 to 18, 2007. We were in Tempe for a wedding. It was me, my husband and our 16 month old son. We chose this hotel because it had two bedrooms and a separate living area plus a full kitchen with a refrigerator and because it was a good location.

We arrived at around 5:30 PM on the 15th and check in took less than two minutes. Very efficient. We'd requested a crib and a ground floor room. We got the ground floor room and the crib was in the suite already.

The suite itself was nice enough. It was a bit outdated. The cabinets were dark and looked very 1980's. The appliances were that beige color with knobs instead of buttons. The bar furniture was also big chunky dark wood ala 1985. But none of that took away from their use. The full size fridge had an ice maker. The kitchen was fully stocked with every kind of dish you could need. There was a 10 cup coffeemaker but not a lot of cream and sugar. Bring extra if you're a serious coffee drinker. There were two bedrooms. Unfortunately, they both had double beds; no queen or king. There were 3 TV's in the suite; two full bathrooms; three closets. The TV's had limited channels and there's no guide so you have to flip channels to see what's on. I brought my laptop and the hotel provided complimentary internet access. Our plug in was missing the little piece that snaps to keep it connected to your computer so I had to be careful and always check to make sure the cable was still connected. You also had to sign in every 24 hours so if you had anything going at the time when your 24 hours was up, you'd lose it. The bedroom doors aren't solid. They have panes of glass with sheer curtains over them which means you can't have lights on in the living area and have a dark bedroom. The showerhead in the bathroom we used was very old and leaked pretty bad. The towels are small basic hotel towels. It would be nice if they had bath sheets. Overall, the suite itself was good for our needs even though we had a few glitches.

The hotel provides free hot breakfast every day. That's a great benefit. We had eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, cereal, yogurt, juice, pastries, etc. They also have a nice pool area that was open and we used it. They provide towels at the pool and you use your room key to access the pool. The hotel is 100% non smoking. If you're caught smoking, there is a $250 fee. Our neighbors smoked like chimneys and the day they left we had to listen to loud carpet cleaning machines for a few hours.

The hotel is located directly across the street from the Arizona Mills Mall that has every store and food chain imaginable. It's also within a block of every fast food chain you can think of. Lastly, there's a CVS Pharmacy in the parking lot of the hotel which is very handy for buying juice, milk, etc. The hotel also offers room service from early AM to around 11 PM.

The only thing I didn’t like about the hotel was the $250 a night price tag. It was a nice suite but I don’t think the suite warranted the rate. I think $200 would have been more appropriate. But we needed that configuration and we’d never been to Phoenix so we went with what we could find online. I’d recommend this hotel but try to find a better rate. They also offer studio and one bedroom suites.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank MileHighGirl
Reviewed 15 September 2006

We stayed at this Marriott property because we were touring around Arizona, visiting Monument Valley near the Utah border.
Visiting and hiking in Sedona Arizona. As well as hiking on Camelback Mountain and South Park. Also playing golf around Arizona. Our room was clean and nice. Used the washing room facilities locally and purchased supplies at nearby store within walking distance. But for an active trip were we are not spending much time in our room, don't know if we need the kitchen facilities and extra space. So I don't have any complaints of the property. It's just if your not spending much time in your room, then it might be too much for what is required. Unless use get a killer rate. Locale is good to many places especially Arizona State University/

• Stayed: January 2006
13  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed 18 March 2006

This Residence Inn is very nice. The staff is excellent and friendly. However, they didn't really know alot about the local area. I ask for a running trail they gave me directions to some far off park, but right down the street was nice park.

It is right next to a major freeway so it is a bit of noisy. There was a security guard on site who was very friendly and helpful. BUT even he could not stop someone from breaking into a car there…so be careful.

There are a lot of shopping, food places and stores…so it will make your wallet a little lighter.

The pool was old and dated, but clean.

Overall, it is a good hotel, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank steve&martha
A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 7 June 2005

My wife and I stayed at this Residence Inn during a quick trip to Phoenix. This hotel is in a great location with easy access to all of the East Valley. We had good clean accomodations, and the staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. The breakfast in the morning was a very nice addition! Thanks, Residence Inn!

• Stayed: May 2005