Residence Inn by Marriott Tempe
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Motel 6 Tempe ASU(Tempe)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$92
Travelocity
US$104
US$97
All reviewsfull kitchenarizona mills mallbasketball courtliving room and kitchencoin laundryfront deskclaim jumperlarge mallwould stay here againa great staybuffet breakfastexercise roomrestaurants within walking distanceevery morningwaffle makerphoenix areayogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2010

This place feels more like a cheap apartment complex than a Marriott hotel. I've stayed at a Residence Inn elsewhere and it was very nice so maybe I was expecting too much? I have stayed at a Townplace Suites which I thought was supposed to be lower on the Marriott scale and it was much nicer.

The rooms were clean but just shabby. All the caulking in the bathroom was old and showing gaps. Also, the light switches all had black gunk on them showing they aren't regularly clean. A lot of the outlet covers were the same. There was also a family of dust bunnies living in the AC vents- you could see there was effort to clean the exterior but not go very deep. The bathroom vanity looked like it had been there a long time. There were multiple spots in the ceiling where the upstairs must've leaked and they did a poor job of fixing it. For the price, I might've been able to forgive a lot of this but the doors of the adjacent units slam so hard that it feels like your own door was slammed shut. I think someone in a neighboring unit must've left every day around 5:30 because I was startled awake everyday at that time and I am NOT an early riser. Also, I did not feel very safe. There is no fence around the property so if you are on the first floor there is nothing stopping anyone on the sidewalk from walking up to your window. There are also blind spots in the entry way where someone could hide- they should have mirrors. I thought the pool was okay.

In all, I was very disappointed. I've stayed at multiple Homewood Suites by Hilton and they are far and away much better and in the same price range. From now on, I will stick to Hilton properties- they have not disappointed me yet, unlike Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jpete001
ResidenceInnTempe, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Tempe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

We sincerely appreciate your candid comments about your experience at our hotel. It was comments like yours (about the condition of the property) that enabled us to go through a full hotel renovation. Since your stay with us, we have completely rebuilt the rooms from the ground up - including new furniture, paint, carpet, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new tile, new bathtubs, etc. As for the sense of security at the hotel, we do understand your concern. That is why we do keep a very close eye on our property and even hire a security guard for the overnight shift to ensure the safety of each and every one of our guests.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 17 June 2008

We were in Phoenix on family business and needed a location central to a couple of homes. We were traveling with a 17-year-old and a 16-month old. We had a two-bedroom, two bath suite with full kitchen and living room, and it was so spacious that our families came to visit US in the hotel rather than us going to their homes. The staff was attentive and concerned and treated us like old friends. The facilities were well-kept and the pool was sparkling clean. Housekeeping did a fabulous job, arranged our daughter's stuffed animals against the pillows, and put our dirty dishes in the dishwasher and ran it so they were clean when we returned. The breakfast buffet was abundant and quite good. The free "social hours" Monday - Thursday evenings were amazingly tasty and they were full meals -- not appetizers. The hotel obviously caters to a lot of corporate groups with employees on extended stay, and we saw more of them than we did tourists or families. If you are a light sleeper, request a room on the courtyard, as the property is bounded by major streets and it could get loud at night. We were so impressed that we will stay here again when we come to see family.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I travel a lot and am not super picky -- I realize that one's experience at a hotel can vary widely by time of year, which room you get, which staffers happen to be on duty, etc.

That said, I was disappointed with this hotel for the price. I paid about $300 for a 2-bedroom suite, as I was a mom traveling with my teenage son. Our room was in Building 10. It had last been decorated in the late 80's or early 90's. This doesn't bother me, but the dust on the HVAC register , the grime on the tabletops, and the hairs in the bathroom do. I would normally ask the housekeepers to clean the room again, but frankly, was unnerved by the sight of the Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement bus in the parking lot, coupled with a swarm of tense uniformed ICE officers. Their Greyhound-style bus was shiny and hew, and all the windows were painted over. I wonder what they do to people in there.

On the plus side, the desk staff is very friendly and accommodating, the location is convenient to ASU without being caught up in the campus bustle, and the full., hot breakfast (included in the price) was actually pretty darn good. So this hotel is probably a pretty good deal for businesspeople who get discounted rates for long stays. Not sure if I would stay here on "pleasure" again. I would probably dirve a little further and stay in one of the resorts.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Auriel_Swacker
Reviewed 12 October 2007

The Residence Inn is located a short drive from the Phoenix Airport. The property sits across from a large shopping mall at the busy intersection of Darrow Drive and Priest Drive. Despite the traffic and mall I found the Residence Inn to be ideal. Working on the road as often as I do, I often find it hard to feel relaxed in a room. The Residence Inn provides a traveler ample space, couch, love seat, fire place, desk, and full kitchen.

You can be certain that that this is not a luxury property; however it provides you with all the necessities and more. Additionally, all staff I came in contact with very kind, professional, and prompt in taking care of my needs. I have stayed at many 5 star properties that could not manage to do that right.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for regular traveler or extended visitor. For the price you pay this is a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Mlogs
Reviewed 28 March 2007

The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and out-of-thier-way helpful. The location felt safe and was conveniently located. I would definately stay there again and recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple