“everything we needed”

Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Birmingham, Alabama
“everything we needed”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Very nice and clean. Helpful, friendly staff. Our room was fresh and seemed to have been recently renovated. Great variety at breakfast. Wireless internet worked well. Although we didn't cook, the kitchen seemed well-appointed, including a list for you to fill out if you wanted them to do any grocery shopping for you. Very nice touch!
Not near any of the nice attractions of the Phoenix/Tempe area, but very easy to get to if you have a car. We would definitely stay here again if in town under similar circumstances.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlaShug
ResidenceInnTempe, General Manager at Residence Inn Tempe, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Thank you for your comments. You must have checked in RIGHT as we were finishing our recent renovation. I'm glad you enjoyed what we've done with the hotel. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We came out to AZ with my brother who participated in the Tempe Ironman. This hotel a decent, no frills hotel. There were two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, and living room area. It appeared clean enough, but could probably use a deep cleaning. We travelled with a 9 month old and didn't feel comfortable letting her crawl around on the carpet. The kitchen is stocked with dishwear, utensils, basic kitchen appliances. There is also an onsite laundry mat. This hotel was in a great location. It was about 15 mins from the airport and about 10 mins from the Ironman site. There are restaurants located walking distance from the hotel and a mall just across the street. There was also a CVS in the next parking lot. That was really convenient for picking up extra diapers, water, and snacks for the room. I would recommend this hotel to a family looking for a basic hotel with kitchen. But it's nothing special.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your candid remarks. I'm happy to inform you that, shortly after you stayed with us we went through an extensive renovation in which we stripped the rooms down to the cement and rebuilt them from the ground up! This includes all new stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, tile, furniture, flat screen HD televisions, and yes... new carpet!
We look forward to hosting you on your next trip through town.
uk
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This is perhaps the most professional, friendly, helpful and efficient front desk team I have ever dealt with in several years of business travel. The grocery shopping is done properly, the hotel bills are always correct, requests are dealt with in a proactive and considerate and prompt way. This makes all the difference in any hotel stay. They made the room and groceries convienent; they recognize me when I come in; they already see that I will be coming back and want to make sure things are going smoothly. Jeff the manager deserves a lot of praise from Marriott.
The rooms are spacious, they are a bit tired but renovations are planned shortly. However, I don't view that as a plus since the "New" Residence Inn brand format for furniture, which I have seen far too much of, is very uncomfortable.
Internet free and functional, it didn't drop.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mentaltraveller
Thank you for your kind commentary about the hotel. We certainly work hard to provide the very highest level of service possible. You are correct, shortly after your comments were left we did begin (and have now completed) a full renovation of the hotel!
Come back and stay with us soon!
Puyallup, WA
Reviewed 24 April 2010

This place feels more like a cheap apartment complex than a Marriott hotel. I've stayed at a Residence Inn elsewhere and it was very nice so maybe I was expecting too much? I have stayed at a Townplace Suites which I thought was supposed to be lower on the Marriott scale and it was much nicer.

The rooms were clean but just shabby. All the caulking in the bathroom was old and showing gaps. Also, the light switches all had black gunk on them showing they aren't regularly clean. A lot of the outlet covers were the same. There was also a family of dust bunnies living in the AC vents- you could see there was effort to clean the exterior but not go very deep. The bathroom vanity looked like it had been there a long time. There were multiple spots in the ceiling where the upstairs must've leaked and they did a poor job of fixing it. For the price, I might've been able to forgive a lot of this but the doors of the adjacent units slam so hard that it feels like your own door was slammed shut. I think someone in a neighboring unit must've left every day around 5:30 because I was startled awake everyday at that time and I am NOT an early riser. Also, I did not feel very safe. There is no fence around the property so if you are on the first floor there is nothing stopping anyone on the sidewalk from walking up to your window. There are also blind spots in the entry way where someone could hide- they should have mirrors. I thought the pool was okay.

In all, I was very disappointed. I've stayed at multiple Homewood Suites by Hilton and they are far and away much better and in the same price range. From now on, I will stick to Hilton properties- they have not disappointed me yet, unlike Marriott.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jpete001
We sincerely appreciate your candid comments about your experience at our hotel. It was comments like yours (about the condition of the property) that enabled us to go through a full hotel renovation. Since your stay with us, we have completely rebuilt the rooms from the ground up - including new furniture, paint, carpet, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new tile, new bathtubs, etc. As for the sense of security at the hotel, we do understand your concern. That is why we do keep a very close eye on our property and even hire a security guard for the overnight shift to ensure the safety of each and every one of our guests.
Thank you again.
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2008

We were in Phoenix on family business and needed a location central to a couple of homes. We were traveling with a 17-year-old and a 16-month old. We had a two-bedroom, two bath suite with full kitchen and living room, and it was so spacious that our families came to visit US in the hotel rather than us going to their homes. The staff was attentive and concerned and treated us like old friends. The facilities were well-kept and the pool was sparkling clean. Housekeeping did a fabulous job, arranged our daughter's stuffed animals against the pillows, and put our dirty dishes in the dishwasher and ran it so they were clean when we returned. The breakfast buffet was abundant and quite good. The free "social hours" Monday - Thursday evenings were amazingly tasty and they were full meals -- not appetizers. The hotel obviously caters to a lot of corporate groups with employees on extended stay, and we saw more of them than we did tourists or families. If you are a light sleeper, request a room on the courtyard, as the property is bounded by major streets and it could get loud at night. We were so impressed that we will stay here again when we come to see family.

• Liked — Spaciousness of rooms, and free breakfasts and dinners
  • Disliked — Noise from the surrounding roads
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Colorado, USA
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I travel a lot and am not super picky -- I realize that one's experience at a hotel can vary widely by time of year, which room you get, which staffers happen to be on duty, etc.

That said, I was disappointed with this hotel for the price. I paid about $300 for a 2-bedroom suite, as I was a mom traveling with my teenage son. Our room was in Building 10. It had last been decorated in the late 80's or early 90's. This doesn't bother me, but the dust on the HVAC register , the grime on the tabletops, and the hairs in the bathroom do. I would normally ask the housekeepers to clean the room again, but frankly, was unnerved by the sight of the Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement bus in the parking lot, coupled with a swarm of tense uniformed ICE officers. Their Greyhound-style bus was shiny and hew, and all the windows were painted over. I wonder what they do to people in there.

On the plus side, the desk staff is very friendly and accommodating, the location is convenient to ASU without being caught up in the campus bustle, and the full., hot breakfast (included in the price) was actually pretty darn good. So this hotel is probably a pretty good deal for businesspeople who get discounted rates for long stays. Not sure if I would stay here on "pleasure" again. I would probably dirve a little further and stay in one of the resorts.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Auriel_Swacker
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 October 2007

The Residence Inn is located a short drive from the Phoenix Airport. The property sits across from a large shopping mall at the busy intersection of Darrow Drive and Priest Drive. Despite the traffic and mall I found the Residence Inn to be ideal. Working on the road as often as I do, I often find it hard to feel relaxed in a room. The Residence Inn provides a traveler ample space, couch, love seat, fire place, desk, and full kitchen.

You can be certain that that this is not a luxury property; however it provides you with all the necessities and more. Additionally, all staff I came in contact with very kind, professional, and prompt in taking care of my needs. I have stayed at many 5 star properties that could not manage to do that right.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for regular traveler or extended visitor. For the price you pay this is a great deal.

• Liked — Comfort!
  • Disliked — Busy street
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business