“Staff needs to be trained and rooms refurbished!”

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe
Ranked #33 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Riverside, California
“Staff needs to be trained and rooms refurbished!”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My husband booked me a room at this hotel for my residency at University of Phoenix about two weeks ago. I needed to stay at this hotel for 8 days with my niece. Upon arrival, there were two disappointed customers who could not get into their rooms. I should have known something was wrong at that time, but I persisted to stay. After entering the room, I noticed the room was partially updated with a newer television, but the kitchen was outdated, along with the bathroom and living space. I proceeded to stay anyway as I was tired and did not want the hassle of having to leave and choose another hotel. The next day, I requested an iron from the front staff, which I did not receive until two days later after another request by me was made. This was definitely poor customer service. We did not receive a housecleaning visit from the staff all 8 days and had to clean our room daily. We had to request towels as well instead of the staff asking if we had enough towels daily. Also, the second floor smelled of cigarette smoke even though there were signs posted stating "No Smoking". I emailed a survey to the operations manager, but all I received was an apology and no offer to take a portion off of my stay for the bad customer service. I am not a person to ask for a discount, but as a counselor I believe in excellent customer service which I did not receive. The front staff was friendly but most could use coaching and training. I will never stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheila H
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are committed to providing every guest with a wonderful, enjoyable experience, so I was ver sorry to read your remarks about your room and the quality of service you received during your stay with us. For that I am truly sorry.

It is our mission to provide a clean, comfortable room at a great rate for business and leisure travelers.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at tem@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Westville, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Arrived at approximately 1 am. door locked no-one at desk. used lobby phone and no-one would answer. called on my cell and got response from night clerk. room is sketchy wore my shoes to bed. Bed smelled musty. Bathroom door is a slider that is filthy. was given a package of coffee only to find no coffee pot in room.Seriously considered sleeping in my car.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pizzaguy63
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The experiences you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am sharing a copy of your review with the staff to ensure that your experience does not happen again in the future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tem@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We recently returned from a 16 night stay in Tempe at this hotel from Jan 21 to Feb 6, 2013. Our general impression is that this hotel is worn, but not worn out. The room we had was adequate, but would certainly benefit from some refurbishment. The carpet was worn with ripples in it, but it was clean. On our second day the hinge of our closet door broke so that the door fell. When we notified the front desk, the door was repaired the next day. Because of the length of our stay, we were entitled to housekeeping service once per week, but were surprised when eight days passed and nothing happened. Again, we notified the front desk, and the room was cleaned the next day. The weather was hot our first day there, and we had a nice swim in the pool. However, the day after that we were advised that the pool was out for repair, and it was not available for the duration of our stay, much to our disappointment. I would like to say that the staff were very friendly and helpful. They were the best part of our stay. We slept well: the bed was comfortable and we opened the window at night. The pool area includes a patio which we used several times, just to relax & read a book, and a barbeque, which we did not use.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dwight-Sharon
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that during your stay there were maintenance issues, I am glad they were promptly rectified. We would also like to apologize for the delay in your housekeeping services. It has been addressed with the housekeeping staff in order to prevent this type of issue in the future. I am also very sorry the pool was out of service at the time of your stay. Unfortunately, this is something that was unavoidable in an effort to update it. In response to your feedback, I am very happy to hear you were so pleased with how helpful and friendly the staff were at our location. I will be sure to share your comments with them all. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at tem@extendedstay.com. We would consider it an honor to be able to serve you again in the future should your travels bring you back to the Tempe area.
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 24 January 2013

First of all, I would like to thank the Hotel staff for their service excellence and commitment to making everyone's stay enjoyable: you get notified when you asked to, the ladies are full of enthusiasm, suggestions and ways to accommodate your needs from having change for the laundry machine to providing ideas as to where to go for a late night snack, find dry cleaners, get money order, etc. I've been staying at the hotel for 3 weeks now after relocating to PHX from Pacific NW and witnessed multiple conversation with clients (myself included). The staff is doing an excellent job while the customers are making the staff's life miserable with their personal drama. I've been a travelling consultant for 3 years and stayed at multiple hotels in lots of cities. This particular one is very practical for my needs. Hope you find all the provided information (here and below) helpful. From my stand point I no doubt in my mind about coming back to stay at this hotel or recommending it to my friends.

Room Tip: If you expect to complain about your neighbors upstairs being noisy ask for a third floor room. I pe...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Thank you so very much for your nice review of our Extended Stay America Phoenix-Airport-Tempe. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
B.C.
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Booked suite at Homestead in Tempe for short, overnight stay prior to setting out for California. The Price was Right! So...arrived late, 10'ish, and both my wife & I were travel weary given our flight from Seattle was delayed two hours and, fortunately, were greeted by a very professional Front Desk staff. Gabby & Carrie were very friendly greeters and provided us with exceptional service. We were hungry, they provided us with easy directions to a late night eatery! Their caring and positive support was much appreciated. So, #1 asset for this stay experience was Gabby & Carrie! Must make mention of Peter as well since he was sooo friendly when we initially booked our suite! His professional demeanor and suave voice were most pleasant to deal with.
Secondly, the suite itself was well kept with a very tidy setting. Lastly, the PRICE was RIGHT! As our stay was short & sweet, we desired reasonably priced accommodations and Homestead Studio Suites Phoenix-Tempe met the match!
My wife and I would highly recommend this place to others and will definitely be back!
Respectfully,
D. & L.

Room Tip: Let Carrie, Gabby & Peter work with you as they know and are Customer Service!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Studio Suites Tempe-Airport. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we would love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call me for your future stays here at 480-557-8880 or any other Extended Stay Hotels location.
Phoenix, AZ, United States
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Peter had anticipated my every need and his positive attitude and attention to detail regarding my bill made my stay more relaxed and comfortable. The staff, overall, were professional and friendly and made me feel welcome each and every day I was there. They actually printed several important documents and even faxed them out for me at no charge. The room was great (considering the price). Recommend 100%. Thank you guys for all you do! Especially you Peter. Keep up the good work my friend. Take care...

CHAD (REPO)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CHADF1111
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that your stay with us was so enjoyable and that you were so pleased with the service you received while staying with us. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job to read reviews such as yours. I will be sure to share your response with all the staff. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 December 2012

If you're looking for comfort, this is the spot. Great location (right off the 10) and very close to a number of landmarks. The price could not be beat! The rooms are very nice and comfortable for the price. The staff here is awesome, which means that I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor. Very quiet and peaceful. I would watch the sunrise from my bed. Awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - Tempe, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you were so pleased with your stay with us and that you were so pleased with the staff. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.