“Our Staycation Spot!”

Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Tempe
Gilbert, Arizona
“Our Staycation Spot!”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We've stayed at this location multiple times and have found it to be very pleasant. The location is key for the concerts we've attended at Marquee Theater or an evening out on Mill Ave. The most recent visit was following Pat's Run, prior to an evening out to the Improv. They allowed us to check our luggage at the desk so my friends and I could relax in the hot tub after our run & unwind until the room was available for check-in. The rooms have always been clean and in good repair, the staff pleasant and helpful. Additionally, we've found the shuttle service to & from the theater and the downtown area to be very beneficial! This is definitly our little Tempe area staycation spot!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Janice R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Inn Of Tempe, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you very Much Debb!

The only thing better than hearing that a guest had an amazing time is, hearing a guest had an amazing time over and over again. We are so glad that you appreciate us, and our services.

As always, we appreciate your business and your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Corrales, NM
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We traveled to Tempe to see a performance at the Marquee theater, a 1/2 mile away. The hotel is well located, a 1/2 mile from ASU and restaurants on S Mill Ave, adjacent to running trails on the Salt River/Town Lake, across the street from Starbucks, In-n-Out Burger, adjacent to a Denny's, and right off the 202. It is a 10 minute walk over the river to Sun Devil Stadium from here. There is nothing else next to the hotel other than what I mentioned but a lot a short drive away. The hotel itself is standard and nothing special, but clean. Smallish rooms and bathroom, dark carpet (which I don't like),and small windows. On the plus side, the room had a nice TV and large fridge and a very comfortable bed. It had a small workout room and a tiny lap pool. If you want a microbrew, 4 Peaks is less than a mile away and Harlows for breakfast is about the same. There are many restaurants in the S Mill area. Stay here for the location and reasonable price, not the hotel itself. I may stay here again because of the great location. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is not bad, just nothing above average.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Janice R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Inn Of Tempe, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
We always like to hear that our guests had a great stay!
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We cancelled our future reservation to return to this hotel in June because of our experience here this type. All we wanted was proximity and reasonable comfort for visiting ASU since our son is going there fall 2013. This property has obvious widespread issues with its key system. Every time we left our room we could not reenter without visiting the lobby for a new key. The manager said to me "you have that key issues face" -- really? Is it that much of a problem? While in our room, I heard two of our neighbors (same family in two adjoining rooms) fighting with the keys to their respective doors. One kept hitting his door when the key would not work. The other gave up and I heard her say she was going to the lobby for another key. That is just one issue. The main reason we are angry is the lack of any a/c. It is 86 degrees outside at 8:40pm. Our a/c unit on the first night - did not cool the room at all. As my son said -it is a placebo effect -- where just because it is running you think you will feel cooler. No. Not the case. Second night here a/c stopped working completely. When I called the front desk, I was told (at 8:15pm) that the maintenance fellow did not "work for him, but for the property" and he was not here at this time. He would return "at some point" and they would call us. We have another ASU appt in the morning and then have to drive home to another state. We did not want to be awakened. When I expressed extreme displeasure as to that happening he said, "don't be nice about it" and hung up on me. So, somehow it is the guest's fault when the manager experiences many irate customers because the property has many issues. When I asked for another room, we were told by the manager that he did not have a room for us. But the maintenance fellow told my son that there "may be" a room for us to move to. And he told my son - the issue with the a/c is a 'connectivity issue' and we should not play with the a/c -- so that is ALSO our fault - because I guess we cannot keep our hands off the a/c. Last issue (and yes there are 3) - is they charged my card the FIRST NIGHT we were here. Not the upon checkout. I will never return to this property. I never write reviews, but felt compelled to write this one, as I do read reviews. I think this property has many issues and the manager is one of them - no customer service here. It's put up or shut up. One last thing -- since the manager told us that the reason his hotel is here is because of ASU... well, when you leave ASU to return to the hotel - you cannot turn into it from Rural Road. You must go past the 202 Fwy. and find a place to turn around -- returning to the hotel from the north. Ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Don H
Janice R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Inn Of Tempe, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to first start by saying thank you for staying with us. I never like to here that a guest not only had one issue, but a few. The key machine did fail to work on a busy Friday night, although we were able to issue a backup key on the following day. The air conditioner not working is a massive inconvenience, and we are sorry that you had to wait 25 minutes for someone to come up and fix it, luckily it was just a minor issue. As far a your card being charged up front, we do authorize a card for the stay and charge it when you check out.
The real issue is customer service, Please reach out to us, I would love the opportunity to speak with you on this matter and make it right.
Grants Pass, OR
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed mid-March & could never get the room to a comfortable temperature (way to hot), even after several complaints & promises of service to the unit.

The proximity of the building's elevators to the swimming pool & excercise room leaves a powerful odor of chlorine & sweat in the elevators.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
We are never happy to hear a guest did not have a good stay with us. Our procedure for an air conditioner is to move a guest or getting it repaired as soon as possible. We would love the opportunity to discuss this issue in detail and make it right.
N.Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here as part of a large group. The hotel was clean. The staff were friendly. The room was clean, plenty of tv channels.
Breakfast was included, the breakfast had a good variety of hot and cold foods, such as cereal's, muffins, toast, eggs, sausages etc etc . The breakfast area is a little small, due to our large group leaving at once the breakfast area was overcrowded and didnt have enough seating or tables to cope. The breakfast room would be fine for smaller numbers.
Having arrived in the late evening I never noticed how close some things were until the next day. There are restaurants and coffee shops etc within walking distance.

All in all it was good and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Janice R, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Inn Of Tempe, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
We are so very happy to hear you had a good stay! As always, thank you for choosing the Best Western Inn of Tempe.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 21 March 2013

While attending baseball Spring Training in Phoenix, I booked my stay at the Best Western in Tempe. Room was large and clean. Service at front desk exceptional. Breakfast served in the mornings and included in room price. Wide choice of items to choose from, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, bread, cereal (hot and cold) and many other items. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Janice R, Director of Sales at Best Western Inn Of Tempe, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear Guest,

We are in the perfect location to see a Spring Training game. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us. Thank you for taking the time to write such an awesome review of our property and staff.

Please stay with us again next time you visit Tempe.

Best Regards,

Janice Rickman / Director of Sales
Sacramento, California, Usa
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Cleanist and friendliest BW I have ever stayed at. I found this place to be within walking distance to downtown Tempe and in a good neighbor hood. Indoor Lap pool with a very nice fitness room. Hallway was covered with amazing photos of ASU alumni. Fun to walk down the halls!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and writing such a wonderful review about our property. We are glad our area suited your needs so perfectly. Our historic pictures of Tempe and ASU that line our hallways are so fun to look at. That is great you enjoyed them.

Please come back and stay with us next time you are in Tempe.

Best Regards,