Hotel La Palapa Eco Lodge Resort
Villas Rio Mar(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$104
Hotels.com
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$124
Hotel San Bada(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$169
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$92
Villa Prats Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$70
Rio Lindo Resort(Dominical)
Hotel Diuwak(Dominical)
Roca Verde(Dominical)
Waterfall Villas(Dominical)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ownereco lodgecosta ricamanuel antoniopura vidaswimming poolsurrounded by natureevery morningwi fihidden gemparadise on earthrice and beansnice poolpeaceful placebeautiful birdsthe central pacific coasttake care
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had a great time. Lets get one thing clear after that previous review/rant....this is not a resort style "touristy" hotel where you are waited on every minute, with staff flashing fake smiles all the time, but where you don't actually experience being in a different country and culture.
This is a well run ECO LODGE, offering beautiful accommodation set in fabulous gardens, with excellent food and peace and quiet. From La Palapa you can head out into the unspoilt surroundings to find deserted beaches, lots of nature, and thrill-seeking activities.
We went snorkelling at Cano - which Cristina helped arrange - biked to amazing beaches, and loved day trips to Manuel Antonio and Dominical.
Has the previous reviewer heard of a "taxi" by the way?! They have them in Costa Rica and they're well priced:)
Also, surely you'd do your research and work out how far away your accommodation is from the nearest towns and attractions before booking it?!
The pool was fine and cleaned daily.

The owners work hard and were very helpful to us. They twice gave us lifts to Quepos, advised on all the do's and dont's, pointed out wildlife, and Manuel even planted a coconut tree in the gardens with our names tagged to it!

Another couple who stayed at the same time as us also had an excellent few days. Like us, they knew they were staying somewhere that was off the beaten track, and that suited there needs perfectly.
Like us, they were treated with respect by the owners, and in turn gave respect back. It's not that difficult.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We spent 2 days which really wasn't enough at you're resort and we enjoyed every minute great to just relax by the pool and enjoy the surroundings so quiet. Christina also arranged a zip line tour for my son and I and everything went as planned. I would definitely recommend this resort this was a great way to enjoy our first experience in Costa Rica

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Let me start this review with a disclaimer: i am a tourism professional and I am not difficult to please. I have stayed at budget hostels and five star hotels around the world and I have never encountered such an incompetently run place. If you are thinking of staying here, pick somewhere else. I am baffled by positive reviews on here as we encountered two other couples during our stay who also thought this place was horrific and checked out early.
First, this is nowhere near manuel antonio. Expect a 45 min drive each way. If you don't have a car, it won't work. Also not close to quepos!! Second, although they highlight hikes and waterfalls on their site I don't see where they specify that they charge you $20 per person to actually see it. Don't think just because you are a guest here they will let you see it!! The pool was filthy. There is no common area where you can just lounge. All this equals a place I would not recommend. But, when you add incompetent management to the equation it's too much not to write a review on it. When I say 'the management', I use this term loosely because neither have the foggiest idea how to greet or welcome a guest. Upon check in we were rudely told when we asked if they had a restaurant that if we wanted food we needed to order it two hours before. We were rudely informed of all the rules at the hotel most of which are ridiculous. I didn't once hear a kind word of welcome. We went for a walk and i brought a water bottle with me, we decided to stop at the bar and order a drink on our return. I had my empty water bottle in hand. The male manager came over and very rudely informed me that I was not permitted an empty water bottle in the lounge area if I didn't buy it there. He said I needed to go take it to my room. Even though I just ordered a drink at their bar? Seriously?? I told him we were not too happy at the place and could we just check out one night eArly? He looked at me like I was some sort of insect and rudely said no! Then walked away. I followed him, very upset by the way these people were treating us. I asked him why he felt the need to be so rude that I was only trying to ask him if we could possibly check out earlier. A polite no would have sufficed. He actually turned around and said to me ' that's not my problem, it's your problem if you don't like it here'. To the management at la palapa: get an attitude adjustment and treat your guests with some respect. If you don't like the service industry, get a new career!! To potential guests, if you work hard for your money, give it to someone who actually cares . Of 100 plus hotels in over 25 countries, and a career in hotel
inspections, this one earns the award for worst place ever.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank G M
mbraganca, Owner at Hotel La Palapa Eco Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2014

The Behavior of this client caused problems to the resort and to other guests.
We had the support of the husband that was totally embarrassed with the situation and left the resort earlier because he had no longer control of the situation caused by his wife.
At the request of other guests due to the behavior of this client we had no alternative than to ask to live.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I really wanted to get away from it all for a week, no action, no noise - just a peaceful place surrounded by nature, accompanied by people who had the same in mind. A place where I don't have to worry about anything. I found this place here. La Palapa totally met my expectations and even exceeded them.

The property with all its gardens and animal life is so beautiful, I felt like in heaven. Just waking up every morning to the sound of birds and looking into the lush gardens makes you think you are in paradise. I did not have a car and I did not need one. Most of my six days I just wanted to stay at the lodge anyway as I liked it so much. The next beach (Matapalo - so beautiful!!!) is about 4 km away and too far for walking - especial in the heat. But you can rent a bike or jump in the swimmingpool instead or walk 10 min to a waterfall (stunning) for a refreshing dip. For my trip to Manuel Antonio National Park (near Quepos) I was able to use public transportation, which is really cheap and worked out fine. As for your travel planning, the hosts Kristina and Manuel are very friendly, helpful and provide you with all the information you need and also with a map of the surrounding area. I ate every night at the restaurant and really enjoyed the host Kristina's cooking. Two times I hiked up the mountain behind the lodge to see the sunset (10-15 min walk).

My stay at La Palapa was just the beginning of my three weeks in CR, but I doubt it can get any better. Should I return to CR one day, I'll definitely come back here!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Franzi11e-Germany
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a gorgeous place to stay that is super close to the beach but in the jungle and off the beaten path then this place is for you.

It is actually quite easy to find once you are on 34 but I would highly recommend finding this place during the daytime unless you are familiar with the area or have a very trustworthy GPS. Just know it is about half mile down an extremely bumpy road through a small, local village that looks deserted at night likely because the lights are off and everyone is asleep!

The food is amazing here. The garden are so lovely. The pool so refreshing. You wake up early to the sound of the roosters and the howler monkeys. Beautiful birds are singing. There are no sounds of cars, TVs, music playing, etc. You can take a six am hike up the mountain with a guide! It is literally in their backyards.

There is a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole just a short hike away.

The rooms are very spacious. You have your own individual cabin. There was a full kitchen in ours. You do not hear sounds of other people. The sound of nature is just so prominent that the crickets and birds overwhelm the sound of any voices! It's really quite amazing.

Christine and her husband are kind, intelligent, and so hardworking. The staff is just lovely. Breakfast is amazing. There is good wifi in the dining/pool area. Everything is so peaceful here. Great place to write, read, meditate, hike, think, sleep.

The beds are fairly comfortable. The comforter is a heavy, thick but not-giving material. I think it needs to be this way for the humidity. There is not a lot of super comfortable lounge furniture around but it's not really the point of being there. It is comfortable enough.

People come here clearly to get away from everything and it will truly provide that experience.

The local beach has to be one of the great last hidden gems of the pacific. I'm nervous that even mentioning it will spoil it but I want people to know that if they take the time to go out of the way to stay here, they will be rewarded with an absolutely pristine beach with only a few other people there! Just bring your own shade, chairs, and food because there is nothing around. The perfect beach!

Thanks Christine!