“great food, awesome atmosphere”
Review of Maracatu

Maracatu
Ranked #20 of 47 Restaurants in Dominical
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Asian, Latin
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Maracatu has been providing Dominical with a one of a kind experience since 2005. We pride ourselves on having found the perfect balance of good vibes, healthy food, great nightlife, a warm ambience, varied world music and environmental responsibility. Every aspect of Maracatu has been created and evolved with a lot of care and intention. As Hippocrates once said "Let Food be Thy Medicine," we are committed to provide as much local, organic, whole food ingredients as possible, often times coming from our organic sister farm, Selva Armonia. Maracatu has also raised the bar on nightlife in the southern zone of Costa Rica. With a unique artistic ambience and a passion for good live music we have helped put Dominical on the map. Come check out Ladies Night on Wednesdays, the most popular night in the zone. Follow us on Facebook to find out about up and coming events at Maracatu!
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This place had the best vegan food we found in Dominical (and we were staying at a vegan resort up the street, shh!) The staff was courteous and provided a relaxing and chill atmosphere. We really enjoyed our experience there, it was a highlight of our trip.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

After a day at the beach we crashed here for a evening dinner. Despite the fact that it was recommended in the Lonely Planet, we were disappointed. The food was okay, but had a high price. The service was not special and we needed to wait long. Although it said to be very good on the displays outside ("Best in town") our opinion was "not so special".

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The food was delicious. I highly recommend the veggie nachos, I couldn't get enough of them. I'm a vegetarian and my friend is vegan and this is our favorite food from the trip. The atmosphere was nice, however, the music is a little loud. Either there was something wrong with their card machine, or the didn't want to run our cards and told both me and my friend that our cards didn't work, nothing was wrong with our cards.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went to Maracatu twice during my 2 day stay in Dominical.

The first was for a birthday dinner, and the delicious food and nice atmosphere made it a delightful evening out. The hummus appetizer was great and I was stoked by the bountiful fresh veggies that you so rarely encounter in most restaurants in Costa Rica. I ordered a mahi mahi special that was definitely freshly caught and came with a big salad and rice. The portions are really generous so you are definitely getting what you pay for in terms of quality and portion size. The margaritas were perfect, not from an
artificial mix like so many other places do.

I liked Maracatu so much that I came back the following night for ladies night. It's just as great
as a night club as it is restaurant. There were two rooms with different djs, drink specials and free shots for ladies! Dj bushman was awesome and it was a lot of fun to dance with a mix of travelers and locals (and the AC on the
dance floor is like heaven!)

I would definitely recommend this place for a healthy fresh lunch, dinner, or fun night out.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I ate here 2 nights in a row. My salad was a decent size, ( the amount a vegetarian would like to have) and the hummus tasty. The dressing was awesome. Not oily. So fresh, citrusy and yummy! I had the veggie fajita meal the 2nd night and it was also great! Just a warning on the burrito - which I got two to go to eat the next day - they were supposed to be veggies with beans and rice, but turned out to be about 92% beans and rice. I was hoping for at least 50% veggies.

It was a little bit pricey, but I found everywhere I went out to eat in CR was pricey. Worth it to me in order to get healthy, organic food though. Also, I suspect the people who thought it was bland, like Cya38, are addicted to Fat, salt and sugar. If it doesn't have these in large enough quantities the "happy receptors" in the brain are not triggered.

The chocolate vegan dessert was really good. Finally, service was superb, attentive and with many smiles. I was smiling and satisfied when I left!